Crescent Ilions

hedstr0m

After 15-20 years of not riding trials I recently bought this Crescent Ilions!

It's in a quite worn state and in need of some repair but the frame is in good shape, the wheels are straight and the old Maguras are working fine!

IMG_20190504_085743.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

incidentally, whats going on with those rear brake mounts?

I didn't pay that much attention before you posted this but it seems that Ali is on to something:

21 hours ago, Ali C said:

looks like it has a Monty 25" rear wheel? random! 

Looks like it's something of the sort. The tyre is smaller than what's supposed to be in the frame, it don't really fill out the the space it should around where the chain stays meet the seat tube.
The tyre which is a Monty tyre is marked 26x2.45 (62-537) and not 559 which is the normal 26" diameter.

I've been looking around a bit and cant find any 537 tyres (or 25") the closest is 540 / 24" so might be that Leon is correct.

19 hours ago, LEON said:

I reckon that could be a 24" wheel, weird either way.

All I know now is that I'm going to have to return the rear tyres I ordered online and continue ride the almost worn out Monty tyre that's mounted now.
Maybe get a 24" to try and see if it fits the rim.  

I may have to shop around for new 26" wheel, but that will probably cost more than what I payed for the bike.

5 hours ago, hedstr0m said:

Looks like it's something of the sort. The tyre is smaller than what's supposed to be in the frame, it don't really fill out the the space it should around where the chain stays meet the seat tube.
The tyre which is a Monty tyre is marked 26x2.45 (62-537) and not 559 which is the normal 26" diameter.

I've been looking around a bit and cant find any 537 tyres (or 25") the closest is 540 / 24" so might be that Leon is correct.

From Tartybikes:

"25" rear tyre from Monty, only suitable for use on their 25" rims with BSD of 537mm (regular 26" rims are 559mm).

Please note that the sidewall graphic states 26", but this is the diameter of the tyre when inflated on a wheel, it IS to fit a 25" rim."

• Like 2

That's true, but I'll probably start with ordering a new tyre from Tarty.

I'm having trouble doing manuals and bunny hops on the bike now. If I preload and the lean as far back as I can and straighten my arms all the way I can get the front of the ground a little bit, but that's all. Am I right thinking the almost flat bar and the stem that's mounted now are factors in this?

If that's the case, what to get? (Bearing in mind that I'm on a tight budget)

Any recommended stem types or lengths to look for?

On 5/5/2019 at 2:35 PM, hedstr0m said:

That's true, but I'll probably start with ordering a new tyre from Tarty.

I'm having trouble doing manuals and bunny hops on the bike now. If I preload and the lean as far back as I can and straighten my arms all the way I can get the front of the ground a little bit, but that's all. Am I right thinking the almost flat bar and the stem that's mounted now are factors in this?

If that's the case, what to get? (Bearing in mind that I'm on a tight budget)

Any recommended stem types or lengths to look for?

Getting some higher bars would be a good start. Most bars are 31.8 now, maybe Trialtech or Inspired Arcade and a 90 or 100mm stem. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

That section in Evolve (or Revolution?) with Martin Kelivart(?) riding one was never long enough for me! The way he threw it around and moved it in the air was mesmerising.

I think it was Evolve, yeah that section is fantastic. It is still how I want to ride on rocks, fail every time. =]

• Like 3

I've wanted one since the first time I saw Martin Kleivard on one at a competition. Never seen the clip though...

And then, when I found this bike online I knew I had to get it, well worth four hours in the car! 

Edited by hedstr0m