New to trials

Axiu

Hello to everyone!

I will get straight to the point. My name is Axel and I have just started my first proper season with Street trials (although I have wanted to try this for long time now) on the attached 24inch bike. I had to change gearing to 25/16 as it was 36/16, but apart from that it's all stock as I bought it 10 years ago from Halfords and now finally I will put it to some real strain testing :D

I am enjoying a lot learning both trials and Street riding basics, but the only thing is that I feel very bent and too much over the handlebars (almost like if I was stretching to touch the ground).

Geo is roughly 405mm chain, 980mm wb, bb 15mm? Stem is around 60mm with 10-15 degrees rise.

Problem might be that I am 6 ft 5 (!).

Would changing the stem to let's say 90mm and 35 degrees solve this or only help slightly? 

If it helps, difference between bb and bars is 660mm. I saw a thread somewhere that a guy of 6 ft 2 was running at 720mm, which makes me think this is why I feel so uncomfortable on the bike and my back kills me all the time. 

Appreciate any tips :)

Axel ;)

IMG_20190514_213811.jpg

Hi and welcome... first off 25/16 maybe a bit hard, "normally" a 22/16 - 22/15 gear ratio is used on 24" bikes. As for longer stem, if you lower back feels "too bend" maybe a higher stem or a handlebar with more raise is better. If you are hitting the knees a lot on the handlebar, maybe a longer stem. As a rule of thumb: Always make your bike setup comfortable when standing on the bike both wheels on the ground, if it feels wierd or hard standing on the bike, modify it a bit. Good luck and have fun with it...If you need more help on bike setup a pic of you on the goat...

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Sandbugg. I think I might go for the BBB brand 110mm at 35 degrees. Seems like a solid product and if its slightly too long I can always tilt my handlebars backwards (currently vertical) :)

• Like 2

Oh my god! I have just installed the 110mm 35 degree Stem yesterday and what a difference it makes! It's like a new bike. My front wheel comes up so effortlessly compared to old Stem. Thanks for the advice guys! ;)

Edited by Axiu
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Sooo... I've not really done much riding last year, but have been riding a lot the past few weeks and really got into just practising the basics and not giving up even though im seeing little progress.

The issue im having is that the bike still definetely feels too small. Bars-bb difference is now 720mm which helped a lot, but i just went to check the reach as per tartybikes website and its just 380mm! This is not much bigger that the inspired flow 20inch, and miles short of the arcade/hex which are the recommended bikes for my height. 

Ive just ordered steerer tube extender, but sure how much this will help. 

Can anyone recommend what else i can do to feel more comfortable on it? Or is the only way to use that steerer tube extender and like a 150mm long stem? 

This the bike: https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/saracen/amplitude-1-2007

Edited by Axiu