Another old 24inch project

Private Repress

Having built up my Ashton ET, I thought I’d look for something with a bit more trials geometry... and a rear disc mount. Still steering clear of Inspired at the moment.

Ended up buying this from this very forum as a starting point:

75B90B63-7147-4B98-8959-37F48B164F18.thumb.jpeg.a9783c88d86d3003c11f9f2a34237a1b.jpegF6504A62-D921-4848-BBB2-B54CE6C46BC7.thumb.jpeg.dbc73bbed623ed947abb5e3901311770.jpeg

The 4 bolt mounts on the forks had been hacked back - I intend to finish this off nice and smooth, the rear chainstay/wishbone support on the frame had been cut off to allow for the rear disc calliper to fit - and these frames don’t fit particularly large callipers anyway.

I continued to look for something else to help with the Frankenstein build and found an Onza Zoot - a mate of mine recently bought one and I really like the way it rides so I went and met the guy selling this one - top lad and it had been well looked after:

A1D2DAE8-FC97-43CB-8077-9669F7C2E95F.thumb.jpeg.a3063e66985d28a521c7f5a8f510125f.jpeg

8650EA30-B1C0-4823-84FB-2F4A0BF7C835.thumb.jpeg.b191d090e354f515d09a51823294af7e.jpeg

Edited by Private Repress
NA
  • Like 2

I love a good detailed build thread. 

There was a model of zoot that some people did have disc tab issues. I can't say if it was due to running 203 or over tightening but they seemed to crack on the bolt hole area. If that ever got rectified or not I'm unsure as it was with the very early model that thinking back had red graphics.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paperclip said:

There was a model of zoot that some people did have disc tab issues. I can't say if it was due to running 203 or over tightening but they seemed to crack on the bolt hole area. If that ever got rectified or not I'm unsure as it was with the very early model that thinking back had red graphics.  

Yes I’ve seen a few that have broken, to be fair through I’m 32, not looking to do huge stuff anymore, for me it’s more about simple stuff that feels good on the bike! If you like build threads you should check out my Ashton ET build one, a lot more detail :)

• Like 1

Next up I added a spank single speed 13t sprocket on the rear, the beefiest chain I could find and some MT5’s with trial tech pads in the rear.

initially I ran the front brake through the head tube, took it out for a spin and realised I had a problem with the original open bearing headset. So swapped it for the hope one off the diamondback. Pain in the backside as it meant I had to re-bleed the front brake! Ah well!

also changed the plastic seat which was very uncomfortable to an old DMR padded pivotal - it’s torn but I like the look haha. 

I did buy the brakes with 203mm rotors, but they will be going on my enduro rig from which I’ve pinched the 180mm rotors :)

8BF8C82E-AB72-4A65-ACF7-7D6D31351320.thumb.jpeg.2a80ea7da09e56ddf7a2d46d3446d90b.jpeg

B79030BF-232A-4560-90B6-E50B220E3CC3.thumb.jpeg.21a5ccf7c9c81962263bc2dc01b7ee3a.jpeg

I might go down the route of getting it all sprayed, but for now I want to ride it! 

Was it JD who sprayed up a Zoot in the same grey you sprayed your E.T?

Is there anyway of cutting the seat tube down to take off the pivotal mount, so you can run a seat post to drop the saddle height down a bit? Might as well if you are going to go through the trouble of spraying it? Also, can you remove the V bosses?

Also, is that a Santa Cruz logo I can see on that hub?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

Is there anyway of cutting the seat tube down to take off the pivotal mount, so you can run a seat post to drop the saddle height down a bit? Might as well if you are going to go through the trouble of spraying it? Also, can you remove the V bosses?

Also, is that a Santa Cruz logo I can see on that hub?

I’ve seen that grey zoot - looked ace! A lot lighter in colour than mine though! 

Yes I’ll be chopping the seat post out and putting the inspired one on from the diamondback when I’ve ridden it a few times. Also need to make sure the seat clears the tyre. 

Yes I’ll remove the pins from the mounts for vee’s but keeping the mount on there incase the disc mount cracks. 

And yes well spotted mate - Santa Cruz black pro 2 hubs 

was thinking all black for this if sprayed - here’s another I saw in black and I love it:

D3FBD401-438D-4FE1-87AB-48EAEC2DA241.thumb.jpeg.78dac34c74f7205b59cfa0d11630507f.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ross McArthur said:

It was indeed. Hacked away at some brake mounts as well, and then put it in the shed to rot with the rest of my bikes :)

21E41328-2DC8-4419-9152-883C9C4D3796.jpeg.94f78ca7cf4df3fcc6ef79649f3a22ac.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Paperclip said:

There wasn't a specific model of Zoot, it was/is all of them really.  The mounts are relatively skinny, and they aren't braced or supported, so they just aren't particularly strong.  Sticking with a 160mm or 180mm rotor will help get a bit more life out of them, as will trying to be a bit more sympathetic to them when you're riding - for example if you mess up a hop up to rear and hop backwards off the wall, don't just land on your back wheel with your brake locked on.  That kind of thing puts a huge spike in load through the mount in a way that basically tries ripping it off the frame, so anything similar to that motion is worth avoiding where possible.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, monkeymoped said:

Just picked up this revell trials frame for £20 

20190423_234749.jpg

Nice, that’s a 20inch right? What are your plans with it? Remember seeing these at the Nottingham RedBull Bike Battle back in the day, was nice to see a steel 20inch trials bike

Edited by Private Repress
Typo
  • Like 1