Neck injury

Herbertlemon102

So I’ve had a stiff neck for a bit, I did a gap where I got SuperBounced™ From a springy takeoff, stretched on landing and felt a twinge at the back of my neck. Wasn’t much of a problem- but I rode today (stupidly, without stretching properly) and fully f**ked it. Intense pain right between the shoulder blades that twinges all over the shoulders and up to the base of the neck when I move. Has anyone got tips for relief/management? Also, what warmup stretches should I do to specifically avoid this sort of injury happening again? Cheers guys. 

The obvious things really: Ibuprofen after food. Avoid sleeping on belly. Plenty of rest, but also gentle neck/shoulder exercises to avoid stiffness, steering clear from extreme range of motion (pain will probably manage that for you). But probably better off seeing a professional and not taking the advice of some numpty like me on the internet ;-)

Stuff like this:

For warm ups, look at bodyweight warm ups, and, there's an exercise thread on here that introduced me to CARS exercise which I've found pretty useful for my wrists/elbows/shoulders (but the kind of stuff I'd be too embarrassed to do in public).

Edited by marg26
  • Like 1

Could be worth an x-ray. Twice I've done stuff like that, thought it was just muscular, and gone to hospital some time later as pain didn't go away only to find I'd fractured vertebrae. One time it was a stable fracture but one time it was unstable.  Quite a shock (and not a nice one at that) both times.  Could just be muscle spasms but if in doubt check it out as they say.  Particularly if anything is shooting.

• Like 1