Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brettoll

Custom Frame Builders

24 posts in this topic

Morning all!

In the hunt for the dream set up, I am weighing up having a frame custom built with the geo that I felt most comfortable on (a mid wheelbase all rounder). I previously used Marino as a builder and had an OK experience, however reviewing the forum it seems the service has dropped off a considerable amount.

Are there any other reasonably priced frame builders people have used?

Cheers,

Brett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Triton :)

edit: couldn't comment on how reasonably priced they are mind, or even if they still make trials frames; that said they do a whole range of custom bikes so don't see why they shouldn't.

Edited by forteh
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sick Bicycle Co

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Haha you gimp :D

edit: incase @Brettoll doesn't know, Sick are a pair of hipsters with really bad social media attitude and no clue how to make frames, they promised the world, employed and pissed off a number of frame builders (the latest being marino who is now selling off their unpaid for stock of frames to recoup costs), never delivered on any promises and are suffering the wrath of the internet cycling community :)

Edited by forteh
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, forteh said:

Triton :)

edit: couldn't comment on how reasonably priced they are mind, or even if they still make trials frames; that said they do a whole range of custom bikes so don't see why they shouldn't.

Yeah I dropped them a mail, seemed to remember them being about £600 - let's see if they still do. As their blog is full of Russian Mail Order bride posts...

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

They're pretty active on bookface, the deema (I still have mine) was 600 for the frame when it was released back in 2006; they've branched out a bit and are making really nice kit (not that the deema isn't but the current quality is far nicer) and have shown bikes at NAHBS for the past couple of years.

edit: they won best cx bike at NABHS 2018 :)

https://www.nahbs.com/2018-winners

Edited by forteh
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, forteh said:

They're pretty active on bookface, the deema (I still have mine) was 600 for the frame when it was released back in 2006; they've branched out a bit and are making really nice kit (not that the deema isn't but the current quality is far nicer) and have shown bikes at NAHBS for the past couple of years.

edit: they won best cx bike at NABHS 2018 :)

https://www.nahbs.com/2018-winners

Let's see what they come back with..!

 

21 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

Sick Bicycle Co

Dropped them a note, cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@Brettoll, see below!

27 minutes ago, forteh said:

edit: incase @Brettoll doesn't know, Sick are a pair of hipsters with really bad social media attitude and no clue how to make frames, they promised the world, employed and pissed off a number of frame builders (the latest being marino who is now selling off their unpaid for stock of frames to recoup costs), never delivered on any promises and are suffering the wrath of the internet cycling community :)

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sick-bicycles-manufacturer-selling-off-sick-branded-frames-claiming-lack-of-payment.html

Edited by forteh
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, Sick's social media attitude was pretty good.  I can appreciate they rubbed people up the wrong way, but in all honesty being able to respond to some questions as honestly as they did would be dreamy...  I agree that they dropped the ball on whatever has happened with Marino, but in general their ethos/ideas were sound.  They were clearly into/passionate about what they do, but as with the issues they faced with importing the ti frames they had made a while back they were possibly a little naive with how they did things.

They had the 'wrath of the cycling community' from the get-go, even before they did anything other than show a prototype, so I think they're probably fairly used to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark W said:

in all honesty being able to respond to some questions as honestly as they did would be dreamy...

:lol: 

Customer - "My frames late".

Sick Bicycle Co - "f**k you".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admittedly you didn't quite go as direct as "f**k you", but "Pot, kettle, black" does spring to mind ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yea? Elaborate, if you will?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well this is on their Insta B)

 

SickBike Insta.png

Edited by Brettoll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, forteh said:

Triton :)

edit: couldn't comment on how reasonably priced they are mind, or even if they still make trials frames; that said they do a whole range of custom bikes so don't see why they shouldn't.

Well that is a little bit much.. in that I can get a Curtis for sub £1000 as a one off!

Triton Response.PNG

Edited by Brettoll
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See if Ashton will build you a justice for £2699

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ben Davies said:

See if Ashton will build you a justice for £2699

I could probably produce a small run somewhere for that! Jeez...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FBM in the USA build custom frames (not just BMX) and I know they have built a street trials frame. They have years of experience building BMX frame so should be plenty strong enough.

I have heard they are pricey. The custom BMX frames start at $535 and they have a track frame starting at $1500.

http://fbmbike.co/

  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brettoll said:

I could probably produce a small run somewhere for that! Jeez...

haha just trying to beat the quote from the other place...

I put £ not $ 

:lol:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also possibly look at standard bykes, they make BMX primarily but I know they have done 24 and 26 so a street trials rig could be possible. Quality second to none :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Shrewsbury said:

Ted James seems to be producing some nice frames. He previously built Dan athertons 24inch Bmx https://instagram.com/tedjamesdesign?igshid=q37mb18pyuz7

also Curtis bikes are still around https://instagram.com/curtisbikes?igshid=1nojathjh0lew

Cheers will check out Ted James.

Pinged an email to the Curtis team a while back and it worked out about £700ish to have one of their older trials frame redone as a one off.. it's tempting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think for 700, id make myself like the hex!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

I think for 700, id make myself like the hex!

I am trying that first B)

Edited by Brettoll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're looking for an arcade-like geo with a slightly shorter reach, I've been thinking of selling my ti dean lately :P
 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.