Custom Frame Builders

Brettoll

Morning all!

In the hunt for the dream set up, I am weighing up having a frame custom built with the geo that I felt most comfortable on (a mid wheelbase all rounder). I previously used Marino as a builder and had an OK experience, however reviewing the forum it seems the service has dropped off a considerable amount.

Are there any other reasonably priced frame builders people have used?

Cheers,

Brett

Triton :)

edit: couldn't comment on how reasonably priced they are mind, or even if they still make trials frames; that said they do a whole range of custom bikes so don't see why they shouldn't.

Edited by forteh
  • Like 2

Haha you gimp :D

edit: incase @Brettoll doesn't know, Sick are a pair of hipsters with really bad social media attitude and no clue how to make frames, they promised the world, employed and pissed off a number of frame builders (the latest being marino who is now selling off their unpaid for stock of frames to recoup costs), never delivered on any promises and are suffering the wrath of the internet cycling community :)

Edited by forteh
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, forteh said:

edit: couldn't comment on how reasonably priced they are mind, or even if they still make trials frames; that said they do a whole range of custom bikes so don't see why they shouldn't.

Yeah I dropped them a mail, seemed to remember them being about £600 - let's see if they still do. As their blog is full of Russian Mail Order bride posts...

Cheers!

They're pretty active on bookface, the deema (I still have mine) was 600 for the frame when it was released back in 2006; they've branched out a bit and are making really nice kit (not that the deema isn't but the current quality is far nicer) and have shown bikes at NAHBS for the past couple of years.

edit: they won best cx bike at NABHS 2018 :)

https://www.nahbs.com/2018-winners

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, forteh said:

They're pretty active on bookface, the deema (I still have mine) was 600 for the frame when it was released back in 2006; they've branched out a bit and are making really nice kit (not that the deema isn't but the current quality is far nicer) and have shown bikes at NAHBS for the past couple of years.

edit: they won best cx bike at NABHS 2018 :)

https://www.nahbs.com/2018-winners

Let's see what they come back with..!

21 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

Sick Bicycle Co

Dropped them a note, cheers!

@Brettoll, see below!

27 minutes ago, forteh said:

edit: incase @Brettoll doesn't know, Sick are a pair of hipsters with really bad social media attitude and no clue how to make frames, they promised the world, employed and pissed off a number of frame builders (the latest being marino who is now selling off their unpaid for stock of frames to recoup costs), never delivered on any promises and are suffering the wrath of the internet cycling community :)

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sick-bicycles-manufacturer-selling-off-sick-branded-frames-claiming-lack-of-payment.html

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

To be fair, Sick's social media attitude was pretty good.  I can appreciate they rubbed people up the wrong way, but in all honesty being able to respond to some questions as honestly as they did would be dreamy...  I agree that they dropped the ball on whatever has happened with Marino, but in general their ethos/ideas were sound.  They were clearly into/passionate about what they do, but as with the issues they faced with importing the ti frames they had made a while back they were possibly a little naive with how they did things.

They had the 'wrath of the cycling community' from the get-go, even before they did anything other than show a prototype, so I think they're probably fairly used to it.

4 hours ago, forteh said:

Well that is a little bit much.. in that I can get a Curtis for sub £1000 as a one off!

Triton Response.PNG

Edited by Brettoll
  • Like 1

FBM in the USA build custom frames (not just BMX) and I know they have built a street trials frame. They have years of experience building BMX frame so should be plenty strong enough.

I have heard they are pricey. The custom BMX frames start at $535 and they have a track frame starting at $1500.

http://fbmbike.co/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Shrewsbury said:

Ted James seems to be producing some nice frames. He previously built Dan athertons 24inch Bmx https://instagram.com/tedjamesdesign?igshid=q37mb18pyuz7

also Curtis bikes are still around https://instagram.com/curtisbikes?igshid=1nojathjh0lew

Cheers will check out Ted James.

Pinged an email to the Curtis team a while back and it worked out about £700ish to have one of their older trials frame redone as a one off.. it's tempting

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread.  I've had three Marino's built in the past, and still have one.  I'm looking to have a new frame made up.  In the past it took about 3-7 months to get a frame from Marino and communication was dreadful.  I've actually tried emailing, but am yet to get a response.  Looking to have a steel pure trials frame made up.  I'm a bit nervous to use a builder that hasn't made a trials frame before.

Any new recommendations on builders?  This is going to be a pretty drastic change in geo, so I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money on what could be a gamble.