Weird 10 speed cassette issue

MadManMike

Hoping someone can shed some light on an issue I have with my new build...

Running a SRAM 10 speed cassette that I took off my Cannondale and transferred to my new Dartmoor. I should point out at this stage that the wheel is the same, the cassette was not removed from the wheel, I simply took the wheel off the 'dale and put it on the Dartmoor.

When it was on the 'dale I had no issues with gearing, but since building the Dartmoor I've constantly been tweaking it and haven't been able to get it to shift smoothly or consistently - I found out why earlier: the cassette moves side to side, so if you get the gears spot on, the cassette can then move 2 or 3mm, which of course throws out the alignment of the rear mech.

Now, obvious answer is to use a cassette spacer, but why would I need to use one now, when I never have before? They go behind the cassette, so surely if I need one to stop movement now, I'd have needed one when it was fitted to the Cannondale...?

Is there anything more obvious that I've missed when building this bike?

Rear axle is a new one on me, it looks like 20mm, threaded on one side with an 8mm hex to tighten. The Cannondale had similar but it was quick release rather than hex.

I'm trying to source a chain whip so I can take the cassette off, as for some reason I have every other tool but that...

I need to check the hub and cassette, but can't do it until it's off. I'll report back :)

14 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Is it the cassette moving on the freehub body or the entire freehub moving relative to the hub?

Well, sometimes things happen and you wonder if you're tripping. In this case, I've taken the wheel off, again, and nothing moves.

So, I refitted the wheel again to replicate the problem and guess what - nothing moves.

I'm at a loss to explain why it had 2, 3 or even 4mm of play in it yesterday and absolutely none today. If anyone has any idea (Other than aliens), I'd be interested to hear it!

Now, back to adjusting the gears again, which should work now that the cassette is staying where it should be!

To add to this, I haven't loosened or tightened anything. Cassette hasn't been removed. Wheel was seated correctly each time (You can't seat it wrong, as it won't screw in if you do...)

I really don't understand what's happened, it makes no sense.

Well, f**ked if I can figure it out.

Just had the cassette off, cleaned it up. All spacers are fine.

No sideways play in the hub itself. Put the cassette back on, tightened it up, put the wheel back on and then bang... 2-3mm of movement again.

Still sticking to the alien theory on this one.

• 8 months later...