Riding clothes

Tom Booth

Being a larger gentlemen in weight and height, I find riding clothes a hard thing to find, either too short in the body so half your backs exposed or sleeve length is too short. Then when I do it's usually a £60 quid fox hoody that I really don't want to smash round the muddy woods in and get ruined.

Anyone know of any brands that are just good for being suited for riding in, I keep picking up fox hoodies whenever they're on sale as they're really good, but other then that its abit of a pain to keep guessing what's gonna fit and not.

Can't help on the sizing because I'm more whippet than st bernard :D

Have you actually looked at proper riding kit?  It's cut longer in the back so it doesn't ride up.  My endura kit is very good, comfy for hours and not stupid expensive; my humvee 3/4 shorts are coming up to 10 years old now I think and whilst worn a bit on the seat are still perfect.  I have a couple of fox riding shirts in circulation, lighter, better ventilation and dry out quicker compared to tshirts.

Pick stuff up cheap on ebay/pinkbike if you're not fussy.

Madison's own-brand shorts are really nice and you can sometimes get some mega deals on them.  They're cut a bit higher in the back, so even if your top is a bit short you should still be covered.

As Forteh says though, proper riding gear tends to be cut much better these days so it's worth looking at a generic jersey (haven't tried them myself, but if their shorts are anything to go by the Madison jerseys will probably be decent) and seeing how that fits you.  They're not full skin-suit so you can still have a fairly casual look, but with better fit/materials.

Not sure if you're big on brightly coloured "full enduro" type stuff, but I've found Troy Lee Designs stuff to be way bigger than usual. I bought a large long sleeve jersey and it was massive, what I'd have called XXL to be honest.

TLD stuff isn't cheap, but it's pretty good quality from what I've seen.

Cheers guys I'll check them out, I dont mind spending monehs but it's just a faff buying something to send it back and just wondered what brands folks had had success with I guess.

Actual riding gear generally doesn't fit as they tend to stop at XL, usually it's the shoulders I struggle with so I'll give TLD a look.

I'm not massive on the shoulders, but have a bit of a belly. The size L TLD top was pretty long and had plenty more belly space, where other brands (Dakine for example) are a bit more hugging in that area.

May have just been that particular top, but definitely worth a try.