Base TA26

Ross McArthur

Had a hankering for a short wheelbase 26”.

Yet to fit brakes.

4BEA6ACF-9B74-469E-855B-A86DF63607D5.jpeg

C4F30156-8713-4A70-AC87-3912E065690F.jpeg

A2258EE4-8D6A-4A3B-8C77-5A09CF3DC444.jpeg

Edit. The frame was ridden as a jump bike by a 5 stone 12 year old, so hardly has a mark on it. The white mark on the top tube is a lightning sticker. I don't even think its ever had brake bosses fitted.

Edited by Ross McArthur
  • Like 12

Oooh, that I'm not 100% sure on. At a guess it would be 1020, 73, 0, 385. But could also be 1020, 73, -5, 380. Ill see if I can find something online from back in the day. Sure Tarty were selling these so those guys usually have that sort of info on lock down.

The back end is fairly twangy. With a QR set up and an old hope bulb, it makes for a boingy brakeless back hop.

I've been wanting a short, steep and cheap get-around with a bit of fun bike that I can lock up in town without fear of being nicked for quite a while.
Done loads of searching through DJ etc to not much joy, but totally forgot these existed!

If that geo is close, it could well be the one.

Edit: Although good luck finding one, apparently.

Edited by aener

I was just astoundingly lucky. There are two I know of. frame only here https://www.arthurcaygillcycles.co.uk/product/base-frame#.XUgbrT9YZMt And there is a full build black one too. I contacted the boy about getting the black frame only but he wanted a stack of cash on top of the £150 to debuild and rebuild onto the red, which is fair enough, guys trying to make a living but I just wasn't prepared to pay that much. I found mine on eBay for 50quid buy it now. So I bought it now.

I also took my time to find the right saddle and post combo. The set angle saddles were just too laid back for how steep the SA is on this bike. They hit the tyre, nose poked too far up and showed too much post. So went for a railed saddle with an inline post and played around the positioning. I think I've got it just about right, following the angle of the top tube (maybe half a degree slacker)? Yay? Nae?

• 4 months later...
On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:15 AM, isitafox said:

@Ross McArthur you still got this or did it die? 

Dead in a sense that its not built. Only had one decent ride on it. The steering was horrible as the hope headset race was bent.

I know what you're going to ask....I think id like to hold onto it for now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

Dead in a sense that its not built. Only had one decent ride on it. The steering was horrible as the hope headset race was bent.

I know what you're going to ask....I think id like to hold onto it for now.

Nah not gonna ask to buy, got one lined up but it's the model with the gusset near the headtube

• 2 months later...

Ideally I'd run the mounting arm parallel with the chain stay and have the tensioner arm around 110-120degreees, like any trials rider would...but the first jockey wheel sits too close to the 18tooth cog.

I find with a slightly slacker than normal chain, there's less tension on the system and the cranks spin more freely because of this - making it easier for crank flips.

May still go full retar...trials rider and run 22:16.

Its a weird mix of feeling soft and hard at the same time..

I can feel the flex of the wheels, cheese rims and cheap spokes and with the 180 disc on a 26" rim on a underbuilt brake mount. I also have to run the light tyres really hard.

The geo works for me but just doesn't have that solid feel of a modern street 24"..

I'm not sure how long it'll last so might have to retire it soon before it snaps! I try to limit the amount of times I lock on the brake when landing fakie..

• 1 month later...

hello, i am in need of some advice about my TA26 frame. 

I bought the frame from a friend a few years ago, i have recently snapped the seatpost and cannot find any information about its size. do you know what size seatpost they take? 

also what brakes are you running? 

nice build, cheers in advance for any help

sam