Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ross McArthur

Base TA26

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Had a hankering for a short wheelbase 26”.

Yet to fit brakes.

4BEA6ACF-9B74-469E-855B-A86DF63607D5.jpeg

C4F30156-8713-4A70-AC87-3912E065690F.jpeg

A2258EE4-8D6A-4A3B-8C77-5A09CF3DC444.jpeg

Edit. The frame was ridden as a jump bike by a 5 stone 12 year old, so hardly has a mark on it. The white mark on the top tube is a lightning sticker. I don't even think its ever had brake bosses fitted.

Edited by Ross McArthur
8 people like this

Posted (edited)

Holy moly that's a nice build. Love the proportions, even in spite of the too-low toptube.

What's the geo?

Edited by aener
1 person likes this

Oooh, that I'm not 100% sure on. At a guess it would be 1020, 73, 0, 385. But could also be 1020, 73, -5, 380. Ill see if I can find something online from back in the day. Sure Tarty were selling these so those guys usually have that sort of info on lock down.

The back end is fairly twangy. With a QR set up and an old hope bulb, it makes for a boingy brakeless back hop.

Posted (edited)

I've been wanting a short, steep and cheap get-around with a bit of fun bike that I can lock up in town without fear of being nicked for quite a while.
Done loads of searching through DJ etc to not much joy, but totally forgot these existed!

If that geo is close, it could well be the one.

Edit: Although good luck finding one, apparently.

Edited by aener

I was just astoundingly lucky. There are two I know of. frame only here https://www.arthurcaygillcycles.co.uk/product/base-frame#.XUgbrT9YZMt And there is a full build black one too. I contacted the boy about getting the black frame only but he wanted a stack of cash on top of the £150 to debuild and rebuild onto the red, which is fair enough, guys trying to make a living but I just wasn't prepared to pay that much. I found mine on eBay for 50quid buy it now. So I bought it now.

I also took my time to find the right saddle and post combo. The set angle saddles were just too laid back for how steep the SA is on this bike. They hit the tyre, nose poked too far up and showed too much post. So went for a railed saddle with an inline post and played around the positioning. I think I've got it just about right, following the angle of the top tube (maybe half a degree slacker)? Yay? Nae?

What brake are you going for on the back?

That’s what I’m wondering about. 

Disc and risk snapping it with how piddly it is. Magura on a smooth rim and wear that lovely surface off! Insert Jackie Chan meme..