Dropout problem

the_virtua_striker

So, thanks to natmangee, I now have a 19 inch rear wheel, and a new echo sl freewheel, and have completed my renovation of the old Onza T Master.

Only I now have this extremely annoying issue with the dropout, chain tension and brake alignment. 

It's an 18t Echo SL freewheel, with a 12t sprocket at the rear. Standard chain (although I've ordered a KMC 1/8 K710). 

Here is the issue:

The chain is at one length, the ideal length, so correct tension can be applied with the tugs. However at this length, the 4 bolt magura mounts do not have nowhere near enough length and the pads will not reach the rim. Therefore no rear brake. 

I add a link to the chain.

Then, the axle is so far toward the end of the dropout that the chain tugs are hanging off the dropout and no tension to the chain can be applied at all. But the brake can be linked up nicely. 

I've ordered a couple of different sets of chain rug on ebay to play around but I reckon I'm going to have to take some metal off the tug as it's right near the end of the dropout.

This is bloody annoying me. 

Any suggestions??? 

What tugs have you got currently?

If it's the Gussets or something similar then I feel your pain. Been there. They're too big - might be fine for dirt-jumper dropouts but not us.
Even the smaller ones like the Trialtechs are too big sometimes.

I solved this on previous bikes I've had by doing exactly what you're suggesting, and a couple of times the other way around by making a bodge-fix spacer to go between the back of the dropouts and the tug plate, but I definitely wouldn't recommend that. It works in a pinch but it's insanely frustrating and not exactly what you'd call secure.

Another option would be a half-link, but I'd definitely recommend playing around with tug options before resorting to that. They stretch a lot which sucks for continuity, but also often leads to being more snap happy. I've not personally had such issues with them - the stretching was enough to put me off - but I know plenty of people who have.

Post a picture of the rear end of your bike so we can see the dropouts and brake mounts in the same shot, and a closeup of the dropout arrangement and we might be able to give better advice on exactly what you might be able to try :) 

I feel you man here's why:

I'm a short arse and wanted to ride stock but my leg size means i was only just short of getting my hips over the rear hub.

So half linked chained it and and have ugly shin scars from snap chains.

Larger sprocket on back but brake was off the rim.

Next one worked for me but being on a mod i dont think it will for you. Anyway i used 17t jitsie freewheel and one tooth smaller sprocket on back was nice as hell but i needed to use shorter cranks(leg size) after a while.

Lastly in desperation, because of shorter cranks needing a lighter gear(17/15) but slammed wheel while maintaining rim alignment i got a trialtech sprung tentioner and a 'Y' mech hanger grinded down to match axel spacers, fitted that and thats me for the last 2 years.

It works but needed a little bravery to trust.

Update... 

Got two types of tugs from ebay. One type needed a little filing. Got just enough tension. That snapped spectacularly. 

The second fitted perfect, no filing. That snapped at the bolt. 

I've now got a third, it's a very flat ended type fitted onto the axle itself... Will see if that snaps... 

Pics to follow

Are they snapping when you're riding?  If so, that kind of hints at an issue elsewhere.  Basically, tugs are effectively just a setup aid.  Once your axle bolts are done up, they should be taking the load, not the tug.  If the tug is breaking that means that it's having to take some of the load when you're riding, meaning the axle bolts aren't doing their job effectively.

Not sure which rear hub you're using, but taking the axle bolts/nuts off and cleaning them thoroughly, giving them a decent application of grease, cleaning up the faces of the dropout and then reinstalling them should help.  Properly greased axle bolts make a huge difference to how well your wheel will stay in place.  Because they're a relatively small diameter, if they're fairly dry or the threads are gunked up they can bind fairly easily and feel tight when in reality they've got a lot more to give.