Front rim brake pad dilemma

Swoofty

I tried to parse through the 40 pages of the brake pad thread, honestly I did. I live on the other side of a long steep hill from most of my riding spots and I prefer riding to the spots over driving. This means that all my rides include at least 2 downhill runs. Now that I'm on the pure bike, I need a front rim brake pad that I can use for general riding AND trials. Right now I just have the regular Magura HS33 black pads on the front because they don't squeal like crazy when I'm just riding around. I tried the Heatsink Yellow pads because they were marketed as more street oriented, but I guess they meant for rear brakes. What are my options for a front rim brake that I can use for general riding and still perform well enough for front end trials moves? Are the Magura red pads any better than the black?

Edited by Swoofty

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Swoofty said:

I didn't hear good things about the Echo carbons either, but I can't find one anywhere so it doesn't really matter. They don't have one on their website either.

If you wanted one, Brian from NWtrials has one left, disc, 26", straight 1-1/8". Part of his closing shop closeout.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey looks like your after carbon so this might not help much but i run disc and rim up front on an echo urban fork. Small rotor, cheap light disc brake but tnn greens on ground rim.

Small weight downside to this but i never look at downhills and think 'walking now' or any dodgy line for front moves and think '999 on speed dial, check!'