Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kaybs41282

Long layoff - 24" bike advice

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. It's been a good few years since I've posted on here as I gave up on trials a while ago.

I'm looking to get back into it, preferably into more streety stuff and looking for bike suggestions for this and for messing about on skateparks when I take the kids. 

I was thinking of either a Zoot, an Inspired Element or a Fourplay which are all budget dependent I guess. Any feedback on most bang for my buck would be great. 

Also, I've never ridden a 24" bike before and am quite tall at 6ft 1. Will I struggle? 

Thanks in advance. 

Chris 

Nah you'll be fine on a 24 mate just a case of working out what feels right regarding stem and bar setup 

1 person likes this

im 6.4 and love my arcade i use a slightly longer stem but it still feels good on transitions etc 

1 person likes this

Cheers fellas. What's the general consensus on the Zoot. I had a search on here last night and there seems to be mixed reviews about it being a bit front end heavy. I take it the Inspired models win hands down? 

I loved my mk1 Zoot. The geometry was great (for me) and I'd happily have another one. 

The only thing that needs changing (assuming they're still the same) is the forks as they're steel and weight and absolute tonne. Set of Inspired forks or some Echo Urbans will do the job! 

1 person likes this

The only thing to be aware of really is that the Zoot frames aren't known for being the strongest out there, so it'd probably be worth holding out for a really good condition one if you go for that as your option.

If you're looking second hand, the Element was superseded by the Flow, so search for Flow or Flow Plus bikes too (Y)  

In terms of height, you should be fine.  I'm around your height and have ridden 24s for the past 9-10 years or so and haven't needed anything over a 90mm stem in conjunction with some higher rise bars.  I even use a shorter stem now and it's still all good.

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, Mark W said:

If you're looking second hand, the Element was superseded by the Flow, so search for Flow or Flow Plus bikes too (Y)   

Ah nice one, I wasn't aware of that. God I'm so out of the loop! 

If I’m not mistaken think the zoots were ever so slightly longer than inspireds. In the context of starting again not sure there is enough in the difference to make much difference! 

1 person likes this