Promax hydraulic rim brakes...

isitafox

On the lookout for a front brake for my Adamant and happened across these on eBay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254025532459

I don't plan on investing but wondered if anyone had seen them or used them before. Research suggests Promax is a bit of a cheap and nasty company for budget bits so I'm not expecting anything amazing but £38 for a new brake isn't bad even as an entry level option! 

• 6 months later...

A bit late to the party, however bought some to try them out, in between HS33s and Vs, although the booster and base plates are way to skinny, remedied with a different booster but then might as well spend the extra on HS33s. I am running some decent pads though, made a huge difference.

curiosity got the best of me and I bought a rear brake for my comp bike. First thing to notice is they have smaller pistons, this means a few things but firstly it means they WON'T work with normal magura clamps and the ones supplied are for v-brake mounts...you can kinda bodge them on but there's seriously limited adjustment so it's as good as not working.

I'm looking to get some custom clamps made as I'm really curious to see how the brake performs, the lever blade is pretty long and I'm confident it will be pretty powerful. 

The other thing about the smaller pistons is that it means it uses a disc brake lever potentially opening up the use of shimano, magura or any other mineral fluid filled disc brake lever which could be a massive thing! People have wondered if it's possible to use a disc lever on a magura for years and it looks like it might now be possible.

Other things to note is that the cylinders have access to the back (rather than a non accessible magura cylinder) opening up the possibility of better servicing and potential mods (adding or removing springs etc). The piston itself is alloy which is also cool (I wonder if a one-piece pad and piston would be possible?).

The brake seems like a bargain if fitting became easier, the lever feels slightly cheap and heavy but nothing too bad, the cylinders look great though, here's hoping the seals are decent!

I'll post some stuff on my channel as and when it happens so keep an eye out.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Ali C said:

curiosity got the best of me and I bought a rear brake for my comp bike. First thing to notice is they have smaller pistons, this means a few things but firstly it means they WON'T work with normal magura clamps and the ones supplied are for v-brake mounts...you can kinda bodge them on but there's seriously limited adjustment so it's as good as not working.

I'm looking to get some custom clamps made as I'm really curious to see how the brake performs, the lever blade is pretty long and I'm confident it will be pretty powerful. 

The other thing about the smaller pistons is that it means it uses a disc brake lever potentially opening up the use of shimano, magura or any other mineral fluid filled disc brake lever which could be a massive thing! People have wondered if it's possible to use a disc lever on a magura for years and it looks like it might now be possible.

Other things to note is that the cylinders have access to the back (rather than a non accessible magura cylinder) opening up the possibility of better servicing and potential mods (adding or removing springs etc). The piston itself is alloy which is also cool (I wonder if a one-piece pad and piston would be possible?).

The brake seems like a bargain if fitting became easier, the lever feels slightly cheap and heavy but nothing too bad, the cylinders look great though, here's hoping the seals are decent!

I'll post some stuff on my channel as and when it happens so keep an eye out.

Looking forward to hearing more Ali, I wonder if with the V brake style mount they'd be powerful enough on bikes like the Element. A bit like the old days again!