Spongy feel (trialzone brake)

NINJА

Hello, folks!

Got some used rusty (WTF?) Tech 2 EVO Trialzones. Cleaned it, lubricated pistons, aligned (with old pads).

Set it up with some used RT86 rotors and at the end got a nice hold and bite but lever feels spongy and non informative.

What else can I do to get this nice feel, when you can play some tune with your pads (last time I got that nice feeling on some cheap shimanos, deore or SLX).

Done all that by this guides:

00000.jpg

0.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by NINJА

23 minutes ago, NINJА said:

with old pads

Probably a significant part of the problem.

You also ideally need rotors with a braking surface depth that matches that of the pads. The RT66 are pretty slim, the pads in the Hope are tall.

Setup on these is critical to good lever feel, they offer a lot more power than 'normal' brakes though so by default the lever is a bit more spongy.

15 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Probably a significant part of the problem.

You also ideally need rotors with a braking surface depth that matches that of the pads. The RT66 are pretty slim, the pads in the Hope are tall.

Setup on these is critical to good lever feel, they offer a lot more power than 'normal' brakes though so by default the lever is a bit more spongy.

Thanks a lot, Adam!

1) So, RT66 are better than RT86? Or they are similar? I would try a pair of new rotors and pads.

2) I got IS mounts, so the only way to align them perfectly is washers, right? It was pretty difficult to find right ones.

3) Is there any reason to buy adapters + 203 rotors?

4) How bad was the condition of the brake on my pictures (muddy DOT fluid, all that rust)? I rebled it and cleaned pistons + lubricated it, is that enough or it's better to fully rebuild them?

13 hours ago, isitafox said:

Not the ones off my old black Zoo mod are they?? 

Nah, don't think so. Got them from some romanians...

1. You should use a Hope rotor with the Hope brake for best performance.

2. You need to - ideally - face the mounts so they are square with the hub. Then, as you say, use the shims to get the caliper and rotor aligned.

3. More power.

4. Looked pretty f**ked to be honest, but Hope brakes fix up well. As long as everything moves smoothly it will be fine.