Orange Zero Build

Brettoll

Managed to get a full build Zero for a steal on eBay (worth the 3 hour round trip to collect).

Currently in the process of switching out parts for some better bits (Hope and Mavic rather than Shimano and Planet X), a set of discs, some spanking condition Middleburn RS7's, Hope Stem.

Ideally want to keep some of the parts retro, with some little touches of modern.. but the Inspired forks have to go!

But so far, here she is:

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-17 at 20.00.42.jpeg

Edited by Brettoll
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Keep the forks! They suit it and wont snap at the sight of a hook.

Saddle angle is going to be critical. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Tempted to get a little plastic saddle.. but I am also a fan of how these looked with a proper saddle so might find some carbon / ti thingy for it instead of the Pivotal set up. 

Agree the forks suit, just not quite retro enough.. though saying that if I actually want to ride it and not die, might be the safer option to keep them there.

Just need the rear wheel building onto the black X721 in the same set up as the front, the brakes and I am pretty much there!

Edited by Brettoll

On 21/09/2019 at 6:36 PM, LEON said:

Those forks are way too long for a Zero's head angle, it was about 71 deg with Fattys!

Ah! That will be interesting then.. I mean the forks that came out with the frame would obviously be the best option. But I remember them being snap happy on release let alone now, also probably as rare as rocking horse sh*t

On 9/23/2019 at 11:11 AM, Brettoll said:

Ah! That will be interesting then.. I mean the forks that came out with the frame would obviously be the best option. But I remember them being snap happy on release let alone now, also probably as rare as rocking horse sh*t

You want something as short and straight as possible. Ideally about 395 x 25 ish, not sure anything today really covers that.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Matt24. said:

Any update on the build of this one! Interested to see the finished article

Still in the same state, currently searching for some forks and also need the rear wheel rebuilt.. It is on an ever growing to do list currently

4 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

He's probably sold it and wanting a TGS bike.

Ahahaa nooo! I need to at least build it and ride it first, might get a Mod next as I have been through everything else ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Head angle is horrendous on Zeros, the longer you go, the more of a chopper it becomes. Go as short and straight as you can. Didn't matter too much 20 years ago as no one did front wheel moves, I went back and rode one about 15 years ago and fell violently ill. I can't imagine how they feel now that geometry is a recognised factor. It'll be fun, just don't expect ANY front wheel stuff. Also the tyre clearance is terrible, I'm not sure how Brettoll has fitted what he's got in there (in the first pic) but I'm pretty sure that won't work.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

Yeah it was a short-lived play on this before I parted ways with the frame and got the Ashton Justice.

The build ended up with a set of Inspireds forks, Mavic wheelset and a Maxxis Holy Roller just squeezed in. The front was so high as Leon states that you have to consider it a rear wheel machine only.. honestly it is a great nostalgia build if you can get the parts to suit, like a lot of nostalgia the rose tints will drop after riding it and remembering how different bikes were then.