Bikes you wish you owned but never did

isitafox

Right starting a new thread to to get a bit of interest going. 

Is there a bike/frame that you wanted but either couldn't afford at the time or couldn't get hold of? 

I'm talking actual possible purchases and not dream build stuff either! 

Here's two of mine, first is a Speedrace Solo stock I remember seeing when I first joined the forum (I think it was Ben Travis' but could be wrong). 

post-24247-0-05599300-1298877266.jpg.9006085cee722e53092ca027d5f0afdd.jpg

Second which I would still love is a Meta in this exact colour, absolutely stunning bike :wub:

f_metavt2_z.thumb.jpg.8cff5cb9f57cd9c89ea34b7e48dd2554.jpg

3 hours ago, bing said:

I always wanted an ozonys curve. Loved the look of them. Had to settle for it's cheap ass Nottingham cousin, the onza Limey 3

But those silver chainstays on the black frame :wub: Maybe that was the first Limey though. 

I could never afford the bikes I wanted when I started riding, and as a result I remember having a library of dream bike pictures saved to my PSP.  Can't remember the last time I lusted after a seatless bike now but ten years ago the Atomz Premier, Yaabaa Stinger and white Ashton's were the subjects of my affection.

Way back then, the Crescent was a frame many of us longed for. Fortunately I can't think of many commercially available frames that I wanted that much and didn't end up buying, although I remember really liking the old DBR frames that Tibo rode, and would've had one if I didn't already have the Vario. Oh yeah, and a Zaskar LE in the 90s of course, no way was I ever affording one of them...

1 hour ago, Tony Harrison said:

Way back then, the Crescent was a frame many of us longed for. Fortunately I can't think of many commercially available frames that I wanted that much and didn't end up buying, although I remember really liking the old DBR frames that Tibo rode, and would've had one if I didn't already have the Vario. Oh yeah, and a Zaskar LE in the 90s of course, no way was I ever affording one of them...

Ah the good old Vario, a staple of the trials comps of the late 90's!

I remember wanting one of them as well when I first started riding as they were the first proper trials frames (other than the 26" Megamo's) I'd ever seen. 

Brisa B26D for me. 

Ask this question in another 5-10 years and it’s going to be that new Satin Bronze Arcade. If it wouldn’t be so fiscally ridiculous to spend over £2k on an ornament, I’d be all over that. Best colour I’ve seen on a bike. 

8 minutes ago, JD™ said:

Brisa B26D for me. 

Ask this question in another 5-10 years and it’s going to be that new Satin Bronze Arcade. If it wouldn’t be so fiscally ridiculous to spend over £2k on an ornament, I’d be all over that. Best colour I’ve seen on a bike. 

No way to class it as a business purchase and claim some tax back then no? :lol:

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/2/2019 at 5:57 PM, Tony Harrison said:

I have a Crescent for sale currently, built with period correct components all in mint condition, including m950 XTR cranks (unmarked), Mavic rims etc.. pm me if interested. 

unnamed-7.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg

Edited by streetjibs
updated information

On 6/30/2023 at 12:29 AM, streetjibs said:

I have a Crescent for sale currently, built with period correct components all in mint condition, including m950 XTR cranks (unmarked), Mavic rims etc.. pm me if interested. 

unnamed-7.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg

Is this the one that’s been on and off eBay in Oz ? 

3 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Koxx Boxx for me...

2008_test_boxx-108-copie.jpg?resize=780,

I have had one. Can't find the picture anymore but it really looked nice. Can't say I remember it being somehow special to ride but I was changing bikes way too often back then.

• Like 1

I enjoyed my Boxx. Picked it up for almost nothing as it had a hairline crack in the BB yoke. @Alex Dark very kindly welded it over for me (I think his invoice was a 4 pack of Rekorderlig cider, from memory, what a hero) and it lasted a while with me riding it before I went back to 24" stuff.

The bike felt great, but the front end always seemed a touch long for me, hence my "bike you wish you owned but never did" being a Hydroxx. The option of dual disc goodness and broadly similar geo to the Boxx but around 20mm shorter up front, from memory. I wanted one before I had the Boxx, but when the latter popped up so cheap I couldn't turn it down!

large_porter.jpg

I forget what changes were made between the first and second version, but the hydroformed DT etc made it a great looking bike for the time.

post-32-1233242363_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I was the looks more than anything for me. Shame they never released a 20" version (did they?).

The Hydroxx 2 or the Boxx?

They never released a 20" Boxx but a 20" Hydroxx 2 was prototyped. I think it was released with a different finish to the 26" one though as it was painted with a dark grey.

6 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I enjoyed my Boxx. Picked it up for almost nothing as it had a hairline crack in the BB yoke. @Alex Dark very kindly welded it over for me (I think his invoice was a 4 pack of Rekorderlig cider, from memory, what a hero) and it lasted a while with me riding it before I went back to 24" stuff.

The bike felt great, but the front end always seemed a touch long for me, hence my "bike you wish you owned but never did" being a Hydroxx. The option of dual disc goodness and broadly similar geo to the Boxx but around 20mm shorter up front, from memory. I wanted one before I had the Boxx, but when the latter popped up so cheap I couldn't turn it down!

large_porter.jpg

I forget what changes were made between the first and second version, but the hydroformed DT etc made it a great looking bike for the time.

post-32-1233242363_thumb.jpg

I agree about the Hydroxx 2. It was the nicest bike for me in that era. A friend of mine rode one but it felt really long for me. Would have owned one just for the look it had though. The LT one was even nicer!

Edited by Canardweb

Did not most of the Boxx crack?

Somehow I never really liked the Hydroxx.

I really like the XTP though. I think the later models were much of a show (like the Karbon or the Levelboss with the strange seat tube) and did not make sens from a mechanical point of view.