Who went bigger?

Ross McArthur

Strictly sidehop related:

I've not measured them, but the biggest street sidehops I've ever seen (the walls thereof, not them actually happening) are a few of Damon's in Leeds. I think some of Bersha's probably rival them, but I've never been at those walls so less familiar.
Bumped into Carthy at Shipley the other week and he did one that was definitely higher overall, but it's tricky to say if it's actually "bigger" because of the rounded edges and setting up on a little knobble in the floor for a bit extra bounce etc.

I'd say it's a very close match, with the main difference being repeatability.
If they duked it out and ended up being exactly the same height limit, the comp rider would get it more consistently.

My instinct is that the comp riders are going slightly bigger now.

Edit: Actually, I just remembered some of those Matt Awkwright was doing around Preston/Blackburn. Further debate required.

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

It’d be interesting to see The TGS rider on a comp bike and a comp rider on an old TGS beast, it’s got to make a difference to what they are able to do? I’m not informed enough but always felt back in the day a TGS bike was very specifically setup for that riding and would imagine a modern comp bike is more versatile? But then is a modern comp bike tweaked to be easier for sidehopping than a TGS bike built for it back in the day?!?

2 hours ago, Matt24. said:

It’d be interesting to see The TGS rider on a comp bike and a comp rider on an old TGS beast, it’s got to make a difference to what they are able to do? I’m not informed enough but always felt back in the day a TGS bike was very specifically setup for that riding and would imagine a modern comp bike is more versatile? But then is a modern comp bike tweaked to be easier for sidehopping than a TGS bike built for it back in the day?!?

I might be compromised because I grew up on TGS bikes, but comp bikes feel even more specific to me. By quite a margin.

Ok, this might be a can of worms I regret opening but:

is that really a sidehop?

I’m far from a purist, but coming into the shot as if you’ve been spat out of a DeLorean and using the inertia you gained from the year 3674 to gain a couple of inches on what Damon was doing 10 years ago seems a bit... well, shit. 

• Like 3

I agree that comp bikes these days are far more specific than TGS bikes were, mainly the bar and stem setup but also just the weight saving aspect, they simply wouldn't last as long (though I am willing to be corrected on that one).

Also Jack's riding is stupidly impressive but for sheer power and size of moves I think Joacim Nymann is hard to beat these days!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3clhZrlydG/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

• Like 1

I just can't get my head around the height he can do, this looks bigger than I remember TGS being (but it's been a while since I watched Damon or anyone)

Maybe slightly cheating because of the curve but it still looked fairly casual

• Like 1

It's bloody close.

And very hard to draw a conclusion because of the different contexts, angles, bikes and posture, but I think I need to change my opinion above if the one above is current comp rider peaks (I'm so out of touch it hurts).
Even if Joacim's above doesn't match the height, the repeatability I mentioned before is a huge factor, but the question was explicitly about size, not control. That just wouldn't be a fair fight :P 

vs.jpg.61dd1127219bb6b8bf37f270d59c048e.jpg

Double-posting but don't care.
Whilst we're on the topic: what the f**k happened to trials? :lol:

no.thumb.jpg.b33ea84ae23c8202ecfe180e53900dac.jpg

There was bigger, sure. But that gap specifically tipped riders over to God-tier, for me.
I hate that it's gone now. The forsaken pilgrimage site.

To a rail. With little wheels.

Edited by aener
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, aener said:

Double-posting but don't care.
Whilst we're on the topic: what the f**k happened to trials? :lol:

no.thumb.jpg.b33ea84ae23c8202ecfe180e53900dac.jpg

There was bigger, sure. But that gap specifically tipped riders over to God-tier, for me.
I hate that it's gone now. The forsaken pilgrimage site.

To a rail. With little wheels.

Never seen that somehow, that is effing horrendous. I think part of it is that generation is in their 30s now and those kind of risks are just not worth it, but the next generation is just not up to it, street riding looks more like concrete comp riding these days and people don't take risks anymore.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LEON said:

Never seen that somehow, that is effing horrendous. I think part of it is that generation is in their 30s now and those kind of risks are just not worth it, but the next generation is just not up to it, street riding looks more like concrete comp riding these days and people don't take risks anymore.

Just so people don't point the finger at me being the instigator, I acknowledge I am one of those who doesn't take risks anymore :lol: 

I can't believe I forgot about TRA! Also definitely a contender.

• Like 1

I think Joacim certainly has the “explosive” aspect behind him. He managed to make the 160cm sidehop that Jack pedals into look fairly effortless from a static start. 

It’s a close one for sure. If anything can come from the progress (or backwards step if TGS is your thing) is that while maybe we’re not seeing some of the biggest moves we’ve seen, the style and tech in what is being done is among the best executed there has been. 

What's most impressive for me, is that Damon would run the heaviest of parts, DH tyres front and rear with DH tubes, motor bike chain, no carbon etc etc, yet here we are wondering who went bigger.

In saying that, Damon was more "slambo" than Joacim is, so respect to him for going so big yet remaining so smooth.