Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ross McArthur

Ali and Ross compete in Shipley Glen

18 posts in this topic

Keeping the dream alive, riding comps, making vlogs.

8 people like this

Stop

30 minutes ago, Canardweb said:

Stop

Hammertime?

1 person likes this

Great to see a comp video and good to see you back Ali! Hope to see you guys at a few more next year :) 

Great blog, made me miss Shipley Glen :( 

1 hour ago, Canardweb said:

Stop

The Clock!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Canardweb said:

Stop

In the name of love ?

1 person likes this

Amazing video, i really enjoyed that, loved the sections and the riding, although i expected more of Ali's riding :P

I would love to compete there someday, how many competitions are going in Shipley? Just 1 per year?

If that - they're fairly few and far between these days.

In fairness to Ali, 'proper' comps like that make almost all riders look bad as it's always super awkward stuff that never gets picked up on camera.  Shipley is also way more 'fiddly' to ride than it looks in clips too.  It looks like it's all smooth, rolling, easy to ride stuff, but the reality is that the ground is quite bumpy and undulating (which you can't see through the grass).  

That said, it could just be that Ali's a has-been now ;) 

For the past few years, Shipley has been used as the closing round for the series. So its usually later in the year for the National Trials Cup to be holding a comp there.

I'm not sure what the Tyke Trial folks do, or what they're all about but those guys might hold one there too?

For better or worse, it seems like trials in the UK is leaning more towards more of a Euro style set up of man made sections with numerous "Academy" locations being used. "Better", because its not a exposed hill side. "Worse" because, as Ali and Mark mention, you don't get that undulating ground and you don't develop that bike control you need to ride these places. What you will learn however, is how to Up to back from a static hook. So it almost turns into, who can go the biggest, instead of who is the best bike handler. I'm not having a moan btw. Im all for any type of venue, and enjoy riding places like Radical etc..

Great riding but this vlog trend is something I don’t understand. I always skip all the speaking as it adds nothing in my opinion. I may be all fashioned but I prefer the « old » kind of riding video.

Vlogs are odd for sure, but I think people like the personal story behind the riding...it shows more than just the riding and more about the lifestyle and jorney, especially if you've been following someone for a while. I like watching simple edits too and in an ideal world I would have them regularly too but they're a lot harder to produce consistantly. 

2 people like this

I really liked this one from the start. I don't always stick with the commentary just skip to the riding but it was good to hear your thoughts on the day and admit where you weaknesses are. Really cool to see some of the sections keeping similar routes to what some of us have ridden in the past. Also quite enjoyable seeing two different ways of tackling sections. 

It would be really cool to see more Street'y guys getting out on the rocks and giving these ago it would be fun to watch and great for the comp community.  

Those bails were fantastic Ross! 

2 people like this

13 hours ago, Paperclip said:

It would be really cool to see more Street'y guys getting out on the rocks and giving these ago it would be fun to watch and great for the comp community.  

Yeah, YOU!!! :P

Not sure what the rules are regarding brakes though?

1 person likes this

On 01/11/2019 at 8:00 AM, Ross McArthur said:

Yeah, YOU!!! :P

Not sure what the rules are regarding brakes though?

I was told that I need a front brake and to be fair if I entered one I would fit one to the bike just for the down slope parts. I would love to enter one.Let's see what 2020 brings. 

3 people like this

Love it.. always dream of riding this place- it def not as easy as akkrig makes it look. Finally trials content 

I massively dislike vlogs and street riding.... but really enjoyed that. Actually makes me want to enter a comp again! 

You two seem seem to have a really good time riding together as well.

1 person likes this

Really enjoyed the vlog. Shame i could not get there. 

Rode the 1st round at Seymour arena and still have a love for tradition venue comps.  Being nearly 40 i to suffer with fatigue. Ha ha ha

Hope to see both of you at next years.