Ali and Ross compete in Shipley Glen

Ross McArthur

If that - they're fairly few and far between these days.

In fairness to Ali, 'proper' comps like that make almost all riders look bad as it's always super awkward stuff that never gets picked up on camera.  Shipley is also way more 'fiddly' to ride than it looks in clips too.  It looks like it's all smooth, rolling, easy to ride stuff, but the reality is that the ground is quite bumpy and undulating (which you can't see through the grass).  

That said, it could just be that Ali's a has-been now ;) 

For the past few years, Shipley has been used as the closing round for the series. So its usually later in the year for the National Trials Cup to be holding a comp there.

I'm not sure what the Tyke Trial folks do, or what they're all about but those guys might hold one there too?

For better or worse, it seems like trials in the UK is leaning more towards more of a Euro style set up of man made sections with numerous "Academy" locations being used. "Better", because its not a exposed hill side. "Worse" because, as Ali and Mark mention, you don't get that undulating ground and you don't develop that bike control you need to ride these places. What you will learn however, is how to Up to back from a static hook. So it almost turns into, who can go the biggest, instead of who is the best bike handler. I'm not having a moan btw. Im all for any type of venue, and enjoy riding places like Radical etc..

Vlogs are odd for sure, but I think people like the personal story behind the riding...it shows more than just the riding and more about the lifestyle and jorney, especially if you've been following someone for a while. I like watching simple edits too and in an ideal world I would have them regularly too but they're a lot harder to produce consistantly. 

• Like 2

I really liked this one from the start. I don't always stick with the commentary just skip to the riding but it was good to hear your thoughts on the day and admit where you weaknesses are. Really cool to see some of the sections keeping similar routes to what some of us have ridden in the past. Also quite enjoyable seeing two different ways of tackling sections. 

It would be really cool to see more Street'y guys getting out on the rocks and giving these ago it would be fun to watch and great for the comp community.  

Those bails were fantastic Ross! 

• Like 2

On 01/11/2019 at 8:00 AM, Ross McArthur said:

Yeah, YOU!!! :P

Not sure what the rules are regarding brakes though?

I was told that I need a front brake and to be fair if I entered one I would fit one to the bike just for the down slope parts. I would love to enter one.Let's see what 2020 brings. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really enjoyed that guys, appreciate the effort and what this vid was about - hoping to get back into some natty myself next year so quite a motivating vid for me. Well riden, some great successes for both riders in those sections I thought. Small things can be so difficult on natural terrain but the satisfaction so great.  Cheers (Y)

• Like 1