Hope pro4 skipping

johntrial

Hello guys,

I´ve got new bike with Hope pro4 hubs. And the rear hubs is skipping a little. Nothing horrible, it happen once or twice during one session and it´s only weird noise from the rear wheel. But it´s brand new so I am a little affraid what could happen in the future. Does anyone have similar experience with this hub?

Thanks for the reply!

Hi on the pro 2 ive never had an issue running one for 11years now :-)..my hope pro4 hub is 6 months old and ive changed the pawl+springs two times now. The corner seem to crack of and the debris get crushed inside...first time it got  sorta noisy...second time it locked up the wheel, turning my bike into a fixie....Good thing is has NEVER skipped on me..

Thanks for your feedback guys. Rotor and brake calliper are fine, it´s really somewhere in the hub. I will try to ride on it in next few days or weeks and I will see. Maybe it just needs some time to run smoothly. If not, I will try to contact Hope, but I am from Czech Republic and don´t want to be without my bike too long :)

I just built up a new Pro 4 hub as spare because I rounded the ratchet in my last one and needed another hub straight away (sent it back to hope and they replaced the body, paws and springs for free) New ones tend to skip a bit at first as the grease inside needs to circulate around I believe,  as it might be dry in areas of the hub. So maybe if you pedalled around a bit the skipping might wear off. But who knows, there could possibly be another problem if it’s happening a lot. Make sure everything is tight, including the lock ring holding the sprocket/spacers on. 

• Like 1

Remove freehub body, clean and fully de-grease. Keep an eye out for any loose metal shards (as it could be an indication of damage). 

Fully dry off the freehub body, ratchet, pawls springs etc, then put a little bit of oil (like this one) inside of the hub then rebuild. Give the freehub body lots of spins to spread the oil about.

Hopefully that'll solve your problem.

If you found metal shards or similar, then maybe worth giving a more detailed inspection and then speaking to Hope. 

• Like 2