Extralite hub for street trials?

Swoofty

Has anyone ever used an Extralite brand hub for street trials? I got a wild hare to build up a ridiculously light front wheel so this will be the hub for it. It'll be 28h mated to a Light brand carbon rim (30mm version), 3x disc side 2x non-disc. I might even put helium in the tire ;-) I'll let you know how it goes once the rim gets here from China.

IMG_20191202_174205.jpg

The rotor mount on the hub is what concerns me. It is built to handle braking in cross-country, and forces when you do pedal up to front are much higher than that.

But Extralight makes high quality products, so maybe it will be fine.

Sounds interesting anyway. Will it be 24" or 26" wheel?

It's a 15mm through axle and it'll be 26" with a 203 rotor. Yikes, yeah i know. The brake mount is what worries me the most too. I have an American Classic hub with a 203 on another bike (24" though) and it has very similar rotor tabs. Sadly my gaps to front don't exist so I think the hardest I'll be on it will come from mistakes casing into walls.

It's an experiment. We'll see how it goes.

I ran a 28h hope hub on a Mavis rim once. Had to have it straightened out on every ride I went on, so it kinda ended up worthless. Making the spokes tight enough won’t make much difference either. I even had @Ali C straighten it out once on street ride in Bristol. 

Edited by John Shrewsbury

On 12/10/2019 at 11:08 PM, John Shrewsbury said:

I ran a 28h hope hub on a Mavis rim once. Had to have it straightened out on every ride I went on, so it kinda ended up worthless. Making the spokes tight enough won’t make much difference either. I even had @Ali C straighten it out once on street ride in Bristol. 

That's good advice. I should do my first couple of rides on it with @Ali C so he can straighten it out for me ;-) Whaddya say Ali, wanna come to Los Angeles for a few rides? It was 72 degrees and sunny today. Cheers!

• Like 1

First ride's in the bag now. Seems fine. I did a usual ride, not deliberately punishing, and it feels nice and stiff and responsive. I made sure to use a disc rotor that has an interconnected ring at the bolt holes for extra strength. I'll keep an eye on it, but so far so good and oh how I love new bearings...

IMG_20191214_101837.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been on the Extralite hub for 4 months now and it has been flawless. So light and otherwise feels the same as the last wheel. The brake mount on it has been thoroughly tested because I'm learning gaps to front now.  Gold star for Extralite!

IMG_20200330_113211.jpg

• Like 1