Wibmer off Inspired - New Canyon Trials bike

Ross McArthur

On 08/01/2020 at 11:48 AM, Mark W said:

He's off the front end of the website (https://www.inspiredbicycles.com/team.php), so kind of matches the way that there are still Inspired parts on his bike now, they've just been sprayed over :P 

How come Thom, Ben Travis, A-A-RON and Yucky cushy isn't on here? The website would be more fun also showing the supported riders on there Shirley?

I kind of expected Fabio would leave for some kind of carbon Specialized so this only really came as a little bit of a shock. I think for those riders putting out edits on the MTB's and Trials it makes total sense to only represent one brand like this.  

Akrigg wise I am still going with Cannondale after the "This is a test" T-shirt.  

Edited by Paperclip
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paperclip said:

I kind of expected Fabio would leave for some kind of carbon Specialized so this only really came as a little bit of a shock. I think for those riders putting out edits on the MTB's and Trials it makes total sense to only represent one brand like this.  

I think it would make more sense to stick with inspired. They aren't in the same league as Canyon so why can't they both sponsor him? Trials on a proper trials bike designed by a trials rider then mountain biking stuff on a Canyon. It's not like inspired are going to take sales from Canyon. The money they would make selling trials bikes would a pittance to what they make selling mountain bikes.

1 hour ago, Al_Fel said:

I think it would make more sense to stick with inspired. They aren't in the same league as Canyon so why can't they both sponsor him? Trials on a proper trials bike designed by a trials rider then mountain biking stuff on a Canyon. It's not like inspired are going to take sales from Canyon. The money they would make selling trials bikes would a pittance to what they make selling mountain bikes.

Association. If Fabio is on a bike, they want it to be a Canyon. And developing a trials frame, which might not benefit Canyon financially, may have been what made Fabio sign a contract with them. Something Specialized was unwilling to offer?

11 hours ago, Al_Fel said:

money money money mate, the guys at canyon can look at his inspired and go " yer we can knock one of these up exactly the same mate" and we'll pay you more money? sam pilgrim has a similar thing with Haibike, Danny with Santa cruz..

10 hours ago, Mikee said:

Association. If Fabio is on a bike, they want it to be a Canyon. And developing a trials frame, which might not benefit Canyon financially, may have been what made Fabio sign a contract with them.

12 hours ago, Al_Fel said:

What Mikee said, basically.  It looks like that trials frame is a tweaked version of one of their DJ frames, so it won't really have cost them much to do.  The forks are resprayed Inspireds so that takes care of the only thing they didn't really do, the wheelset is a normal wheelset (i.e. he'll have just thrown his normal wheels in), crankset is normal, etc., so they didn't really have to invest much money in it to have him on a Canyon 24.  

They've got a lot of money to throw around and I assume he'll be getting a fairly hefty chunk of it, so for them it makes sense to have him on an exclusive.  

Another way to look at it is that if Canyon are paying him a lot of money, and he uses that "lot of money" to do more trips and go to more places, if on those trips he's getting clips on an Inspired then Canyon are effectively paying for exposure for Inspired.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mark W said:

What Mikee said, basically.  It looks like that trials frame is a tweaked version of one of their DJ frames, so it won't really have cost them much to do.  The forks are resprayed Inspireds so that takes care of the only thing they didn't really do, the wheelset is a normal wheelset (i.e. he'll have just thrown his normal wheels in), crankset is normal, etc., so they didn't really have to invest much money in it to have him on a Canyon 24.  

They've got a lot of money to throw around and I assume he'll be getting a fairly hefty chunk of it, so for them it makes sense to have him on an exclusive.  

Another way to look at it is that if Canyon are paying him a lot of money, and he uses that "lot of money" to do more trips and go to more places, if on those trips he's getting clips on an Inspired then Canyon are effectively paying for exposure for Inspired.  

It's always all about money. I understand that. I just think its sad to see such a good brand like inspired get nudged out the spotlight by the big wigs.

RedBull have been happy to spend money on trips for riders which would give exposure for inspired.

4 hours ago, Al_Fel said:

It's always all about money. I understand that. I just think its sad to see such a good brand like inspired get nudged out the spotlight by the big wigs.

It is and it isn't in a way though - for example with Danny, he had some huge offers come in right after the April 2009 video but stuck with Inspired for the next 8-9 years.  Thing is, aside from something like the Inspired In Barcelona trip or the Inspired In Malaga trip, they can't really offer much.  Santa Cruz will be giving him a decent pay day and have given him other opportunities to travel and do stuff so can't really blame him.  I assume Fabio will be doing pretty well out of this, otherwise he wouldn't have switched from Specialized as he'd been with them for 5 years.

I think Danny's riding is probably more along the lines of Hans and Akkers in the sense that he could have a long career in the riding world, whereas Fabio's seems to be a bit more about sending it and going absolutely massive.  I'm not sure what kind of longevity there is in that kind of career, but with deals like he's probably got with Canyon he could be making himself financially set for most of his life over the course of a multi-year contract.

• Like 2

With this Canyon deal, his video views, his red bull sponsor, his Sick Series sales and any other sponsor he has, Fabio will be making easily a million a year by now. It makes total sense for Canyon to have him exclusively on their bikes, even if they don't sell his trials model it's still great marketing for them.