Ross McArthur

Wibmer off Inspired - New Canyon Trials bike

43 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Mikee said:

Association. If Fabio is on a bike, they want it to be a Canyon. And developing a trials frame, which might not benefit Canyon financially, may have been what made Fabio sign a contract with them. Something Specialized was unwilling to offer

Exactly. 

I don't see why Specialized couldn't offer him something similar. Looking at the pinkbike thread potentially his manager was in a really good position to just jump him on Canyon for a good pay. Having both bikes promoting them makes full sense. Just like Danny on SC. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Canyon had offered Danny a deal (but he went with Santacruz instead) so they're keen to pay for those Youtube views. Plus Fabio is HUGE in Germany/Austria so it makes sense for a German company to take advantage of that

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mark W said:

It is and it isn't in a way though

I know what you mean but I get the feeling Danny could wake up tomorrow with no sponsors at all and just go back to working in a bike shop and still ride in exactly the same way and still push out brilliant videos regardless of whether there was money in it and always have a smile on his face. Maybe I'm wrong but with Fabio I feel that he's been pushed (by himself? His dad? I dunno) to be a  professional Red Bull athlete from a young age and it's all about the hits, the fame and the money above all else. My gut tells me he's never done a normal day's work in his life... Maybe that's just the grumpy old man in me strongly disliking 'influencers', hashtags and clickbait etc. though!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone has to work hard to get a sponsorship deal or money out of the sport in some way if there good at it. Either demos competitions or now YouTube/social media. He wants the fame and to enjoy cycling. MTB is changing bigger and better and we’re lucky trials is becoming a part of it again and being noticed now even if you have to ride a full suspension bike going big or riding trials on one. Plus the bonus is getting a big company like canyon to even think twice to make him a bike. Same as Santa Cruz with danny’s bike. Danny had to prove he was worthy of a sponsor through Santa Cruz before they even took him on. That’s why he borrowed bikes and did videos then Canyon contacted him for a deal. But he felt comfortable on a Santa Cruz, deal was made.  If these guys worked hard for it, then they deserve it. 

Good luck to him, looking forward to seeing his videos and what Canyon will do for him. 

 

Edited by John Shrewsbury
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John Shrewsbury said:

Danny had to prove he was worthy of a sponsor through Santa Cruz before they even took him on.

Fairly sure that's not really the case with Danny (with respect to Santa Cruz). He had hundreds of millions of views from his video on his Fourplay/Skye. Any bike company would give an arm to be associated with someone so imaginative, talented, successful and also just a thoroughly nice guy. He's a sponsor's wet dream! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Fairly sure that's not really the case with Danny (with respect to Santa Cruz). He had hundreds of millions of views from his video on his Fourplay/Skye. Any bike company would give an arm to be associated with someone so imaginative, talented, successful and also just a thoroughly nice guy. He's a sponsor's wet dream! 

I do believe someone mentioned Canyon contacted danny, but he went back to Santa Cruz saying they offered him a deal but Santa Cruz stepper up to give him a better one. Either way there both got great sponsors now, and Fabio pushing the boundaries further suits him with that team. 

Edited by John Shrewsbury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
On 10/01/2020 at 3:30 PM, Ali C said:

With this Canyon deal, his video views, his red bull sponsor, his Sick Series sales and any other sponsor he has, Fabio will be making easily a million a year by now. It makes total sense for Canyon to have him exclusively on their bikes, even if they don't sell his trials model it's still great marketing for them. 

A bold statement dude, There are not many MTB riders that hit that milestone, I believe Aaron Gwinn was on similar dough as a multi-world cup winning rider, let's not forget exactly how much £1,000,000 actually is.

I've no idea what Redbull pay, I'm pretty sure nobody does to be honest, maybe it works on views and hype, I'm honestly not sure, for example, Thomas ohler (sp?) is a Redbull athlete I can't imagine he's on the same paycheck as fabio.

But are canyon going to be throwing that much at him? also his clothing brand? i mean the world of MTB is pretty small, and I've never seen a sick series item in the wild..

Its all very interesting and i want to know everything as a nosey bystander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Davetrials said:

Thomas ohler (sp?) is a Redbull athlete I can't imagine he's on the same paycheck as fabio.

I've always assumed that's mainly because he's Austrian...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davetrials said:

A bold statement dude, There are not many MTB riders that hit that milestone, I believe Aaron Gwinn was on similar dough as a multi-world cup winning rider, let's not forget exactly how much £1,000,000 actually is.

I've no idea what Redbull pay, I'm pretty sure nobody does to be honest, maybe it works on views and hype, I'm honestly not sure, for example, Thomas ohler (sp?) is a Redbull athlete I can't imagine he's on the same paycheck as fabio.

But are canyon going to be throwing that much at him? also his clothing brand? i mean the world of MTB is pretty small, and I've never seen a sick series item in the wild..

Its all very interesting and i want to know everything as a nosey bystander

At German bike events, where Sick series have a booth, kids are lining up for hours to buy a shirt and getting a signature. They are pretty much sold out at the end of every event they turn up to here :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never talked to Fabio about figures but from a few insights into the industry I’d guess he’s on at least 100k a year from canyon excluding bonuses but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on more. Red Bull might be a bit lower but that grows every year and also has some hefty bonuses most likely. His YouTube channel gets hundreds of millions of views no doubt so that’s probably another 6 figure sum there (or close to), his merch isn’t so big here in the UK but every big European event I go to I’d say more than 50% of kids are wearing multiple items of Sick clothing, I’ve no idea how much he makes from it but I imagine it's a full time wage alone. He then has other sponsors like Mercedes and other random brands that will probably be decent amounts on top. Maybe he’s not making a million a year just yet but I would be surprised if he’s not a millionaire from the past few years and along as he doesn’t do anything stupid his wage will only get bigger. 
 

The boys done good! 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Petrum said:

At German bike events, where Sick series have a booth, kids are lining up for hours to buy a shirt and getting a signature. They are pretty much sold out at the end of every event they turn up to here :D

Yes, that is crazy in Germany.

Sometimes when I go ride pumptrack, I see some kids riding scooters wearing some sicks shirts ...

Fabio Wibmer has videos with more 50M views on youtube, almost 4M followers. Aaron Gwin's publications do not have such a broad audiance...

Wibmer has some product placement in his video. He made an advertissement for Mercedes ... I think he is one of best earning rider, all disciplines combined (with Kriss Kyle, Danny M)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ali C said:

I have never talked to Fabio about figures but from a few insights into the industry I’d guess he’s on at least 100k a year from canyon excluding bonuses but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on more. Red Bull might be a bit lower but that grows every year and also has some hefty bonuses most likely. His YouTube channel gets hundreds of millions of views no doubt so that’s probably another 6 figure sum there (or close to), his merch isn’t so big here in the UK but every big European event I go to I’d say more than 50% of kids are wearing multiple items of Sick clothing, I’ve no idea how much he makes from it but I imagine it's a full time wage alone. He then has other sponsors like Mercedes and other random brands that will probably be decent amounts on top. Maybe he’s not making a million a year just yet but I would be surprised if he’s not a millionaire from the past few years and along as he doesn’t do anything stupid his wage will only get bigger. 
 

The boys done good! 

Well goodness me, that does add up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2020 at 10:03 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I know what you mean but I get the feeling Danny could wake up tomorrow with no sponsors at all and just go back to working in a bike shop and still ride in exactly the same way and still push out brilliant videos regardless of whether there was money in it and always have a smile on his face. Maybe I'm wrong but with Fabio I feel that he's been pushed (by himself? His dad? I dunno) to be a  professional Red Bull athlete from a young age and it's all about the hits, the fame and the money above all else.

To be fair to Fabio, I think he genuinely does just love riding bikes.  He grew up riding/racing motocross and MTB before getting a street trials setup - he'd been riding bikes 'properly' for a long time.  I think his family have always been really supportive (his Dad drove him to Dressler Camp with some spare wheels, for example), and I think him knowing Tom Oehler paved the way for the Red Bull hook-up rather than some ruthlessly devised 10 year plan to make it happen.

In his regular videos he does seem to generally be having a pretty good time dicking around on bikes with his friends.  No doubt his cheesier narrative-based videos are more of a grin-and-bear-it thing, but then that is work in itself.  He might not have done a 'normal' days work, but he'll have put in a lot of work for Sick Series, meetings with brands, appearances, producing his big videos, etc.  Doing hours and hours of signing sessions isn't exactly a walk in the park either - just ask Ali ;)  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13.1.2020 at 0:03 PM, Mark W said:

... 

He might not have done a 'normal' days work, but he'll have put in a lot of work for Sick Series, meetings with brands, appearances, producing his big videos, etc.  Doing hours and hours of signing sessions isn't exactly a walk in the park either - just ask Ali ;)  

He made an YT video in which he complains how high is the pressure not to deceive his fans on each appearance (event, video, etc.). It was just after his friend Elias was injured during a DH practice. This video impressed me a lot, cause it was easy to notice how his nerves are set on edge. I doubt anyone can deal with such a pressure this long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

All that pruning of Israel vs. Palestine comments on your social channels has got to be hassle too...  Can definitely ride a bike though!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a SHREDDER !

 

and he goes FAST af,

 

with a classic smile.

 

$ $ $ that many views. $ $ $

 

No brainer. He’s doing it !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.