Quick question on self assessment / tax returns

MadManMike

Judging from some of my friend's posts on FB, it seems a few of them have left it fairly last minute - I think that's probably why they're so much slower now.  There's a lot of people who are trying to file their returns now so it'll always slow things down.  Kind of the same deal that getting a new passport at some times is way quicker than others.  

Definitely an anachronistic system though, do agree that their processes are fairly dated.  I get that they want the extra security measures and stuff, but still...  

It maybe was left too late, but I think two and a half weeks is reasonable, it's not like I have a million invoices to sort through.

Their system needs a lot of work. Actually navigating around doesn't seem too tricky, but getting access should be way easier than it is.

Text me a code so I can log in and view my UTR, send the UTR by email... plenty of ways to do it other than by snail mail.

• 4 weeks later...

So, my UTR never came through and I just chased it up. Turns out there's a little button that says "Next", which you need to click to finish registration (Despite me getting an email saying it was done and six different check boxes highlighted green).

You could say it's my fault for missing that, which it is, but I'd also argue that the website is hugely unhelpful and misleading. I'll probably have to pay a late filing fine, which to be fair I'll take on the chin - I've been pretty lazy on this one.

• 1 year later...

Rather than create a new thread I thought I'd try this one...

Mrs has received a letter from the tax man saying the for 2020-2021 she owes them the 'High Income Child Benefit Tax Charge' (which neither of us knew anything about). Although she's PAYE, has always been PAYE and as such they have had all of the information and ability to charge her what's owed the letter says she now needs to register to submit a self assessment tax return so she can pay them around £900... Seems like a total pisstake as they literally have all the information they've ever needed to sort this out and it just seems they haven't done their job right.

I think officially we don't have a leg to stand on as it seems their tag line is 'we're completely shite at what we do so it's up to you to do our job for us' so I don't suppose there's anything we can do. Any thoughts?!

Edit: Also if you do file a self assessment tax return is 'I'm PAYE you already know this' a valid response in EVERY SINGLE BOX?

Not a lot you guys can do I'm afraid.

It's a shit system - you either have to claim Child Benefit do a Self Assessment and pay it pack, or not claim it at all. Why they can't just integrate it into the PAYE system I don't know (well I do, but apparently they take no notice of their own incompetence)

My outlook is pretty skewed to be fair. Both Mel and I earn over £50k so absolutely don't need (deserve?) child benefit in the first place. Since Finn was born we've just transferred it straight into a junior ISA (continued the same for Ash) which in the beginning, back in 2012, was actually giving 6% interest (now 2.5% I think). It's not far off £1k a year and they'll each get it when they're 18 so will get a £16k+ boost for uni or whatever then. If we're paying back the CB we'll just continue to put the money in anyway but having been totally unaware of these weird tax rules it's a bit annoying.

The Charge thing just seems like a really odd way to go about it. If they decide that higher earners shouldn't get child benefit (which would be fair enough) then just stop them getting part or all of it. To pay it out and then charge it back as tax seems very odd. And to apparently 'forget' to charge it back in one year and ask someone who's always PAYE to then register for a file self assesment is completely mad. 

Our current plan (possibly misguided!) is to ignore the first letter and if they chase (which no doubt they will) we'll sort it out.