2020 Czar Neuron 26"

Swoofty

New bike day! Well at least new frame day. Finally got my new Czar delivered and built. I'm still not crazy about black bikes, but i've decided to abuse this one first, then paint it. I tried really hard to run Sram BB30 cranks on this one, but it was turning into too big a pain to get the spacing right so I stuck some 24mm SLX on instead. So much nicer than ISIS! This one is definitely stiffer than the last; square tubes for the rear triangle and a new downtube design. Sadly it is slightly heavier than the old one, but the tensioner is nicer. First ride was great. I'll try to get a review posted once I've had some time on it.

IMG_20200125_084547.jpg

IMG_20200125_084701.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, isitafox said:

But which is it? 

Geometry:

- Wheelbase: 1012mm

- Chainstays: 378mm

- BB Height: +25mm

- Head Angle: 74.5°

Or

Wheelbase 1020mm

BB rise 25mm

Chainstays 378mm

Head tube angle 74.5*

What's fascinating is that I genuinely thought it was 74 head angle and 1015. 

How it's meant to have a steeper head angle yet is longer doesn't make sense however if it is the reach will be longer which would actually make it a much more exciting frame to contend with the Hex. 

22 hours ago, Paperclip said:

It's a shame Echo have decided not to opt for horizontal dropouts on these.

I was a big fan of horizontal dropouts for a while, but now I very much prefer vertical or through axle. I like the shortest possible chainstay length and I never have to fiddle with chaintugs or realign my brakes every time I pull the wheel.

No one around me has a Hex so I can't say how they compare.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Easy fix with some tape on the back of the pads.

Second this - fitted some Shimano XT's and thought my frame was snapping every time I was on rear wheel - a bit of electric tape cut to shape and not had a problem in the last 6 months with them. Works a treat.

I run the same setup with Jitsie/Trialtech pads and they have no pad knock.  MT5 pads on the rear, MT2/4/6/8/whatever-even-number-you-like pads up front.

The MT5 pads on the rear will be your biggest improvement by far - it looks from the photos like you're running the MT7-style pads?  If so, they seem to have a lot more movement than the 5's.

Yeah I recently switched to the MT7 style pads because they're so much easier to change, but i guess thats the tradeoff. I'll switch back to MT5s and tape the front.
I really need to keep riding my pure and not get new bike lulled into my old streety ways....