Middleburn Bash replacement

marg26

Sorry, lots of questions! Been using HTII cranks for years...

Got a square taper Middleburn crankset with the pro trials bashguard and replaceable 22t chainring. The cranks show scars from my crap riding but otherwise fine but bb, bashring & chainring all need replacing.

Just wondering what the options for replacing the Pro Trials Bashring are? It's loose on the crank. Didn't want to get too spendy if possible. Is the fitting "type-x"?

And if the above, any recommended 5 bolt 22t chainrings recommended?

Otherwise, are there any other bashring/chainring options to fit on the Middleburn cranks?

It has a VP BB (68x127.5) at the moment, with the metal thread sleeves rather than the lighterweight plastic-like ones, can't seem to find it available now (VP 80 iirc). Will probably stick with it for now but in future, are the Shimano square taper BBs (with hollow axle) decent enough for trials (thought I remember thinking they were quite flexy before replacing them on a new bike)?

Cheers

In what way is it loose? They run a lockring, so make sure that's done up tight. If it still moves around it may be due to wear but first step would be to confirm.

Regarding replacements, there were a few Middleburn-own options, plus the likes of TNN offered aftermarket stuff too. If you're sticking with a 5 bolt 22t ring, something like the Middleburn Hardcote rings will be spot on :)

In terms of BB options, you're obviously a little more limited these days than yesteryear when looking for a square taper setup. To be honest, just go with anything the right size and you'll probably be fine.

Yeah it should be fairly snug if it's pushed onto the splines properly - do the splines look worn at all? I've never had one with any discernible wear on them, but 90% of the population are idiots so who knows what might have happened to the parts in their history. If they were used with a loose ring (ahem) then all bets are off

• Like 1

Its a truvativ external locking ISIS BB tool you need. Try putting a smidgen of light Loctite on the treads before nipping up - Should make it less likely to come loose.

Make sure your chain ring bolts and threads are nice and clean before fitting the chain ring too (for husbandry and peace of mind).

Check for play in the crank to bb interface.

Yep the LifeLine X-Tools BB Tool 8 Prong fits nicely. Cleaned it up and refitted to cranks. Reasonably confident it should be ok. Just going to clean the rest up and refit until I sort out replacement chain, chainring, rear-cog.

I'm trying to find a replacement chainring, preferably steel for durability, but not sure what BCD is needed.  Activesport.co list it as 94mm whereas CRC (unavailable) list it as 104mm, but then the Middleburn 22t 5arm chainring is listed as 58mm.