HELP! New disc problems

Element26

I've changed the disc on my mono trial today and now it' feels terrible and it rubs like crazy. Changed to a Tr1al rotor, it looks like the pad now goes over the edge of the disc. Think I've made a massive error and the biggest problem is I sold the other rotor with a complete disc brake. 

Should I stick with it and see if it beds in or change to a Hope specific like the trial zone V2? 

The bandwidth on the Tr1al rotors isn't really ideal for the Hope trials brakes.  You will be better off with a Trial Zone V2 rotor realistically.

If you've got an old hub, you may find that the hub disc tabs won't be perfectly flat any more.  Over a period of time they do tend to wear, and you can find that the rotor becomes a little more 'bowl' shaped.  This isn't ideal, but if you have a clean adjustable spanner or similar you can gently tweak the rotor back to true relative to the caliper.

If you're using the old pads, they will have worn to the profile of the old rotor so with a new rotor will tend to feel a little mushy until they bed into the new surface.  Generally with most disc related stuff time is often the greatest healer as when new they tend to take a little time to settle down.

You can speed things up a bit by pouring clean, cold water over the rotor/caliper and ride around on flat ground pulsing the brake on and off.  You're not trying to get it hot - the water and the pad material will essentially create a kind of paste that just helps scrub things in a bit faster and gets them bedded in faster.  If you get it hot, you run the risk of glazing the pads so don't try and cheat and speed the process up by bombing some hills ;) 

For what it's worth, I ran a Shimano rotor (similar bandwidth to the Tr1al) with a Hope brake for quite a long time, and the only thing I found was that over time the pistons in the brake started sitting at a bit of an angle.  The part that pushed under the rotor edge would just sit a little further out than the top half of the piston, so it gradually made the brake a bit more sluggish as it wasn't able to push out and retract smoothly.

• Like 1