New Bike, 26", 27.5"?

Topsy

Hi guys,

I'm suddenly have a massive itch to get a new mtb for whatever reason.

I'd like full suspension and a steel frame. Yup, lots of options.. Just looking to have a laugh with it in woodlands, town and that new air pad thingy they set up nearby, not anything more serious.

I've currently got a Stevens Glide ES from 2008 that's been in the cellar for 5 years now due to the brakes pissing all over the disks after fixing them countless times, until I got fed up. The frame is prone to cracking apparently and I don't trust it anymore at any rate.
Initially I was hoping to find something I could use the parts I've got and still are usable but I've realised that literally everything has a new standard by now.
I'm not sure how I'd get on with 27.5" wheels and 29" is completely out of question. SO:

I found the DMR Bolt frame which looks quite nice and also seems to carry a reasonable price. There's also a serviced pair of Fox 36 170mm forks on a auction site for a nice price, but they're 27.5. I realised that my current 26" wheels wouldn't fit right away, but if I'd decide to stay with 26" is there any massive downside to using that combo?
Are bikes with 27.5 wheels much less flicky or is that all my imagination? I'm just a bit hesitant to move too far away from my 24" arcade as I've always felt most comfortable on 24" as a kid with a 24" mountain bike as well as with the Inspireds. 

Does anyone have any other frame recommendations/ideas for me?
I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible and am happy to get used parts too, but I do want a new frame that will last me a while in case I decide to stand it in a corner for another 5 years down the line.

Cheers

Edited by Topsy

Don't get hung up on wheel size, there is a small difference but its mostly marketing bollocks. The big difference comes in geometry - longer, slacker frames came about around the same time as bigger wheels. I built myself a frame for 26" wheels that has 'modern' geometry and it rides just great.

I run a 26" wheel in some 27.5" forks, works fine. You can adapt axles fairly easily in moat cases.

Just build something and get shredding :D

• Like 2

I had a 29er a while back and I found it too big, though that could have been psychological or simply that the bike itself was too big, rather than the wheels.

Currently have a Dartmoor with 27.5 wheels and it's the best MTB I've ever had - technically a lower spec than the Cannondale before it, but that thing was way too small. Fun on the downhill, awful for climbs, especially when turning.

Personally I'd go for 27.5, purely because of how widely available parts are, tyres etc

14 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Just build something and get shredding :D

Cheers Adam, you're right! :D

Mike,
I once sat on a 29er, rode about 50m and told myself that I don't ever need to experience that again. :P I really don't quite get the craze about them!

Also, winstanleys manage to ship frames to Switzerland for five quid. How on earth is that possible?!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Topsy said:

Cheers Adam, you're right! :D

Mike,
I once sat on a 29er, rode about 50m and told myself that I don't ever need to experience that again. :P I really don't quite get the craze about them!

Also, winstanleys manage to ship frames to Switzerland for five quid. How on earth is that possible?!

Haha, it's a weird experience for sure. Good for rolling over rocks and roots apparently, but I didn't enjoy it much.

And yeah, my Dartmoor came from Poland and that was £4.95 shipping or something - that's cheaper than I could send one in the UK.

I rode a hire 29er at Bike Park Wales and it definitely felt like a big old beast, but the way it picked up speed was nuts.  If you're more a fan of XC/efficiency I can see why they'd be appealing, but for fun/dicking around, less so.

That said, Matt Roe doesn't seem to be letting it hold him back...

Guess if you're used to slinging a motocross bike around it'll still feel pretty chuckable :P

Oh yeah, totally - I know my bike is a lot more capable of what I am.  Rode with that Ali Clarkson guy on an almost identical setup for long enough to know for sure, haha.

That isn't what The Industry wants you to think though.  You'll definitely be 13.57% faster on Strava and 69% cooler on Instagram if you get that sweet new wheel size standard.

• Like 5

Still riding my small 26" intense 5.5, it's wheelbase is about the same as my trials bike (1080ish), reach is 330mm so according to manufacturers it's unrideable.  Compare it to things like the geometron with 1370 wheelbase and 520 reach it's tiny, but then I'm only 5'7"ish and prefer short bikes.

I have slackened it out a little by overforking and offset rear bushings so the head angle has dropped from 70° down to 65.5°, I dare say that it's not as planted as the latest greatest enduro bikes but it does me just fine.  If you don't mind sticking with 26" and potentially having to hunt a little harder for tyres/rims then there are some bargains to be had as no one wants to buy them :)

42 minutes ago, forteh said:

Still riding my small 26" intense 5.5, it's wheelbase is about the same as my trials bike (1080ish), reach is 330mm so according to manufacturers it's unrideable.  Compare it to things like the geometron with 1370 wheelbase and 520 reach it's tiny, but then I'm only 5'7"ish and prefer short bikes.

I have slackened it out a little by overforking and offset rear bushings so the head angle has dropped from 70° down to 65.5°, I dare say that it's not as planted as the latest greatest enduro bikes but it does me just fine.  If you don't mind sticking with 26" and potentially having to hunt a little harder for tyres/rims then there are some bargains to be had as no one wants to buy them :)

I can vouch for that bike being suitable - you didn't hang about on the climb at the beast that year! (Proof again that I'm the limiting factor, that hill almost killed me!)

I accidentally bought a Nukeproof scout in 29" but it was such a steal I decided to keep it.

First quick blast and I was sure I made a mistake but after a week or so I really started to feel the benefits on the trails.
As I don't live in the woods I like a good bit of "jibbing" on my tootles around town and the 29" was a real pig. threw a cheeky 180 which nearly resulted in me firing off the back of the back into the river Avon.

I will for sure opt for 27.5 next, but if my bike was used only for tearing down hills id consider another 29.

Also, I'm considering buying a 26" Cotic BFE which is basically a mod after riding a 29" should be a laugh.

• Like 2

On 29/02/2020 at 4:18 PM, Davetrials said:

I'm considering buying a 26" Cotic BFE

MTBs are a bit out of my reach financially at the moment, but if I was going to take a punt I'm pretty sure it'd be one of the Cotic range.  Their frames look so good, and seem to tick all the boxes for what I'd want out of a bike.  A friend of mine I used to know through BMX years ago got one a couple of years back and does all the fun/playing around kind of stuff that'd float my boat on a mountain bike, and it just looks ideal for it.  

Keep meaning to listen to the new HKT 'Behind the bike' episode with them.  Maybe tomorrow...

On 3/1/2020 at 7:12 PM, Mark W said:

MTBs are a bit out of my reach financially at the moment, but if I was going to take a punt I'm pretty sure it'd be one of the Cotic range.  Their frames look so good, and seem to tick all the boxes for what I'd want out of a bike.  A friend of mine I used to know through BMX years ago got one a couple of years back and does all the fun/playing around kind of stuff that'd float my boat on a mountain bike, and it just looks ideal for it.  

Keep meaning to listen to the new HKT 'Behind the bike' episode with them.  Maybe tomorrow...

That podcast is really interesting and SI seems really down to earth, I recommend it.
aking the cost into consideration the 26" BFE goes for pretty cheap on eBay as most mountain bikers are idiots with more money than sense and won't touch 26" with a bargepole.

There's also plenty of older models on their to that would act as a perfect skeleton, can't go wrong with steel really.

• 8 months later...

Well it only took me 3/4 of a year to buy a frame (and a car getting snatched up infront of my nose - though my wallet is happy).. Went with the DMR Bolt (short version) and will see what wheels I throw on it when it's here. Thought someone with grippier tyres and lower standover height would be advisable in icy conditions since I'm avoiding public transport and ride to school 3x a week.

First thing to report: Shipping went up from £5 to £12.50. :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So... About that...

Frame had arrived with a dent where the top headset bearing should fit. Not quite sure how the post managed that, but they did.

So I had the post return it, which took so long (I guess new virus variant + brexit + not express) that DMR now have discontinued the bloody thing and it's impossible to get hold of a replacement. :(

While I had the frame here I checked and I could have used every single part bar the seat post off of my old mtb. With literally every standard having changed over the years I doubt I'll find another frame that lets me build up a bike in my budget so that's on hold now. :/

Quite bummed. Also had writteb to DMR to ask if they have any lying in a corner that they need to get rid of and they said that they can't help me (on the plus side, they didn't try to sell me anything else). I'm sure some distributor still has one or two, or do discontinued frames get scrapped?

Edited by Topsy

27 minutes ago, Topsy said:

I'm sure some distributor still has one or two, or do discontinued frames get scrapped?

Nope, stockists would usually just sell them off cheap to clear the stock and buy in the new stuff.

You might find one somewhere, but if there's none showing on stock online, there's a chance they've all been sold off.

Which DMR frame were you looking at?

At least they don't get scrapped. :)

I was looking at the Bolt, not many places had them to start with, so it's safe to assume that they had been selling them off for a while already. Though I did still have the full choice of colours when i ordered mine late November, but that doesn't mean a thing.

It was a flat about 1.5cm across. I suppose it could have been repaired with a hammer, but I had assumed I could get a replacement. (admittedly, half of me was hoping that I would need to send it back)

Since I didn't buy it directly off DMR I doubt it made it all the way back to them.. I also don't know how it looks now - I had to send it back in the same packaging so that the post could inspect it too. :S

Edited by Topsy

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently in the same frame of mind and bought a 29" Cube Stereo which took not that long to get used to the larger wheels. I mainly rode DH on my 26" Specialized Demo 8 but wanted something more up to date. The bike is more than capable from XC to DH and to be honest I wouldn't use anything else for mountain biking anymore. All the stories about them being slow in turns is pretty much nonsense unless you're a pro rider scrapping for 1/10th of a second here and there. They are a lot more forgiving over technical sections and you do seem to fly over them a lot quicker than smaller wheeled bikes. As for jumps there's no hindrance of having a larger wheel only benefit as the larger wheels aren't as twitchy and these days they're just as light as the smaller counterparts. 

To anyone who dispels the 29" without riding one I'd advise to try one first because you might find them amazing like I did. 

Cube Stereo 170 TM.jpg