New Bike, 26", 27.5"?

Topsy

I’m proper the worst person to give MTB advice considering what I’m into as I’m sure @Adam@TartyBikes will attest to however here goes!

There really isn’t much difference between 26 and 27.5 - the main one is choice of tyres, the former is outgoing the latter is on trend, that’s it. I was very late to the modern wheel party and honestly I don’t know what the fuss was all about. As Adam says the geo plays a much bigger part.

Speaking of, gosh don’t modern MTB ‘sleds’ suck. Long low and slack is great for downs in a straight line but Christ they’re like a bath on wheels everywhere else. I rode a Hightower a while ago and for me that struck the perfect balance for Travel and Geo, 150 was enough to be silly yet the shorter reach of the Cruz kept it playful and it climbed great. Big travel bikes like Stereo 170s, Megatowers etc they’re just pants on anything other than uplifts.

If I was in the Market for full sus I’d draw the line at 150 up front, any more is just gratuitous. The DMR Bolt looks spot on given your criteria but I’d take a look at frames from Bird cycle works and Transition Bikes for well put together mid travel builds that don’t cost the earth.

On 24/03/2021 at 9:31 PM, Maintenance Justice said:

I’m proper the worst person to give MTB advice considering what I’m into as I’m sure @Adam@TartyBikes will attest to however here goes! is as well.

Fixed :lol:

26" stuff at the moment is 1) cheap and 2) actually available. I just built myself another 26" bike. Goes up, down and across just as fast as anyone else I ride with.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Can't wait to find out how badly (or not?) this will ride :D

Haven't got the tools around to get the cranks/bb off the old bike and the rear disc of this wheel. Ought to find rim brake friendly rim too and some hs33 adapters. Was looking forward to putting my orange echo booster on it, but the mounts are way too close to eachother at about 84mm. Also not sure what I'll do with the gearing. Front chainwheels look well munched. A headset bearing would help too and a stem with a tad less rise maybe. :P

IMG_20210507_004625.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd update this.
It'll still need a few things but it works for now and is brilliant fun and works for light trials work well too! :D
It feels enormously high with the fork, stem and bar combo when standing next to it, but it's very comfortable when on it.
Weight is nice too, hope it'll hold up!

A7R07760.thumb.jpg.52484156c3b866983eae241949e53a5a.jpg

A7R07820.thumb.jpg.3ab777fa6772f70fb83354e46a4e67e4.jpg

To do: front tyre that isn't basically a slick, chainguide, different rear rim - is there any reason no one uses drilled trials rims on XC bikes? - brake booster and maybe a little front mudguard.

• Like 1