Which old parts do the dinosaurs on here think of as 'new'?

aener

Compared with some of you guys I'm still a n00b, but even in my time riding I just watched some videos and caught myself still thinking of the Koxx Sky series as "their new ones".

This isn't for bragging rights about "I remember when they invented canti's" etc. as is wont to happen :lol: 

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

This might be off the topic a little. But I find it crazy that Vee brakes have done another full circle and come back in to the limelight, even though there is the odd person still running them on the front. Only person I know that never went away from them running F+R was Dan Jones from Bournemouth area. But just seeing someone last year riding the worlds with them is a bigger picture. Sorry can’t remember his name ( I’m all street ) 

Edited by John Shrewsbury
  • Like 1

For me its got to be the first gen Inspired fork. They've went through many iterations with axle mounting arrangements and head tube diameters. I'm still on the revolutionary QR, 1"1/8th!! To me they're still Curtis copies.:) 

External bearing BBs and through axle cranks. Pretty much standard on everything now and they feel amazing stiffness wise and the cranks spin much better (cranks flips), yet I still have a few bikes running ISIS.

Green salt and vinegar walkers crisps - I still get confused and think that they only changed last week and that green is cheese and onion....

On a more trialsy note - 24's - I joined the 24" revolution with the first fourplay and although I know that was when I was less than 20 it still only feels a few years ago to me (I am now 31). I think this is partly because it was shortly after getting that bike I broke my arms on a BMX and went through a period of 7/8 years of sporadically going through times of riding and times of not. It has made that period of my life albeit 8 years long feel more like 2 in riding years... I would tie into the above TGS and the associated bikes as it was still going strong when I absconded the scene for a while..

Currently I am building a new 26" bike to ride street/trial but also park. That is why I am looking for cheap parts that are easy to service.

For the brakes, I went for some Shimano BR-M375 mechanical disc brakes, actuated by Avid speed dial 7 levers. I love the ergonomy of the Avid levers. All the other V-Brake levers I had do not come close (Deore, LX, XTR, some BMX levers).

Why the Shimano and not the Avid BB7 or 5 ? The reason is that they use the b01s brake pads, so I can use my favorite Trickstuff Power brake pads (that I strongly recommend), that are not available for the Avid BBx serie.

I like to use some old Shimano cranks in 104.mm with steel axle. On my other bike I run an XTR m970, best cranks I owned. On the new one I will problably use some old SLX cranks. It is always difficult to find the appropriate bashguard though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 3:59 PM, Sam Song said:

For me, I remember when everyone started using Conti Kaisers as rear tires when they first came out. 

Now, riders around me have their Jitsie, Monty, etc trials specific tires when I am still riding on Contis. 

red Michelin n the front HOT S

rear... GEAX 2.2 , michelin 24.1 

capriolo forks snapping

megamo beauties..

• 1 month later...

Anyone got some square taper middleburn rs7??

how bout avid ultimate levers ? 

The rear wheel on my hex was built in 2002.  The other day I rode with someone who was 13 years old. My wheel was much older than this kid... and it was then I started to think I may not be 18 anymore..... :)

• Like 3

On 24/02/2020 at 9:44 PM, John Shrewsbury said:

This might be off the topic a little. But I find it crazy that Vee brakes have done another full circle and come back in to the limelight, even though there is the odd person still running them on the front. Only person I know that never went away from them running F+R was Dan Jones from Bournemouth area. But just seeing someone last year riding the worlds with them is a bigger picture. Sorry can’t remember his name ( I’m all street ) 

Joacim nymann is the dude your on about man.:)

12 hours ago, Ali C said:

I heard they had atrocious grip because they were made with silicone base rather than carbon?

Like Tarty says, big and light! Pretty much what the boys are using now. Kenny B running them on his silver koxx level boss made me want to run them! Didn’t even mind the green logo on the frame contrasting the tyres. Like the early inception Christmas bike.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 0:15 PM, megamomac said:

Geax Sedona?

good mind !! I remember in colorado... sidewalls shredded easy, and might as well be made of tar when the rocks got wet- not good!!!  

Still love the dead feeling super grip 24.1 .. probably just the memory of riding them.

A0FC0715-E97F-43F8-835D-07F9789751A7.png

114C3CBC-965D-4CC7-8706-A07C099A249C.png