Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aener

Which old parts do the dinosaurs on here think of as 'new'?

29 posts in this topic

Alex rims DX32 with a grind kicked butt, stayed sharp forever. Mavic D521 with a disk on the front. 

Those new fangled Chris King hubs. 

Those messy hydraulic disk brakes. I started wrenching on bikes 15 years ago. I would explode hydraulic disk brakes back then, so I moved to an avid bb7. Best brake of the time.

1 person likes this

Anything with a bb higher than +20. Those new echo controls with a 1060 wheelbase and plus 20mm bb. Sexy.

1 person likes this

On 5/16/2020 at 9:21 PM, jamesb said:

Alex rims DX32 with a grind kicked butt, stayed sharp forever. Mavic D521 with a disk on the front. 

Those new fangled Chris King hubs. 

Those messy hydraulic disk brakes. I started wrenching on bikes 15 years ago. I would explode hydraulic disk brakes back then, so I moved to an avid bb7. Best brake of the time.

Never had the 521 only dreamed...

bb7 still my brake of choice :) Remember hayes original hydraulic?? Best feeling rock hard lever, no adjustability and didnt work very well ... but the lever feeling, never felt anything like it since. I was “sponsored “ by magura in the comp days of the early 2000s, magura sent me a gustav / louise mix front brake that was incredible, but again no adjustment. That was my last hydro... aside from original saint on dom raabs loaner bike, which were incredible.

King / dx32 still on my hex... The ck hub started on my ibis xc bike in 1998- then built w dx32 for my crescent illions.. moved onto a few echos, a woodman, multiple koxx frames, a zhi, ***, still holds a grind, never untrue... I have replaced some spokes, broken 2 axels, and the freehub body... still rollin strong w hd axle, fun bolts, steel body.  Wheel has been in france, all over the usa... Man when will this “virus” bs be done so we can travel again.

I started workin at a bike shop over 20 years ago... damn. Anyone in the mountains if north carolina want to come ride ?? personal nostalgia overload continued...

1 person likes this

On 19/05/2020 at 2:53 PM, AndyT said:

Never had the 521 only dreamed...

bb7 still my brake of choice :) Remember hayes original hydraulic?? Best feeling rock hard lever, no adjustability and didnt work very well ... but the lever feeling, never felt anything like it since. I was “sponsored “ by magura in the comp days of the early 2000s, magura sent me a gustav / louise mix front brake that was incredible, but again no adjustment. That was my last hydro... aside from original saint on dom raabs loaner bike, which were incredible.

King / dx32 still on my hex... The ck hub started on my ibis xc bike in 1998- then built w dx32 for my crescent illions.. moved onto a few echos, a woodman, multiple koxx frames, a zhi, ***, still holds a grind, never untrue... I have replaced some spokes, broken 2 axels, and the freehub body... still rollin strong w hd axle, fun bolts, steel body.  Wheel has been in france, all over the usa... Man when will this “virus” bs be done so we can travel again.

I started workin at a bike shop over 20 years ago... damn. Anyone in the mountains if north carolina want to come ride ?? personal nostalgia overload continued...

Hayes are still my favourite disc brakes 

1 person likes this