Brakes

Roy03

Hey all! First time poster. So, I bought this last week for, what I think... not a bad £150! I don't really have a riding background onwards of the age of 15 (now 28) and most certainly, not a trials one.

So i got the bike to give it a try during the very little spare time I do have. I've just had my first proper 40mins or so on it, surprisingly, it's not my back which is really sore considering the riding position on these and me being 6ft2". Its my hands! From pulling the brakes! I've found I've got to pull on them quite hard and there is quite alot of travel in the levers resulting in my hands aching! I cant imagine it's too normal having to squeeze so hard, is it? To the point of aching hands. If not, is there any little tweaks I can do?

Call it a noob question if you may but, it's a beginners thread remember :)

Thanks in advance!

-Roy.

20200225_163511.jpg

Hey Roy - a decent set of pads will make a decent difference and a clean rim with a bleed for the rear - looks like you have a HS33 on the rear - what is on the front? There are some pretty good front disc brakes for not a lot of money these days. All that said you will find your fingers will maybe ache as they get used to the amount and how hard you pull the brake. However a better brake will make it less painful!

Hi Matt, thanks for replying! Yeah, it's an HS33 on the rear. I have seen the bleed kits available, is it something simple enough to do myself? If so, I may invest come payday along with new pads for the rear just to be safe. The front brake is just branded Onza. Presuming it came standard with the bike x amount of years ago? I have these pics if they're any use for someone with knowledge to help me out.. 

20200225_164403.jpg

20200225_164327.jpg

If you are mechanically minded it isn’t too hard. With a bleed, the pads replaced and a cleaned rim it should be plenty good enough for learning. The front brake I am not sure who onza rebranded for those but if the pads have any markings on them that might help. I’d replace the cable with a linear Bmx cable of some sort and probably the pads again and clean the disc. If not look for a second hand hydro front brake like a Shimano deore and they would be a good brake for starting off

4 hours ago, Roy03 said:

Hi Matt, thanks for replying! Yeah, it's an HS33 on the rear. I have seen the bleed kits available, is it something simple enough to do myself? If so, I may invest come payday along with new pads for the rear just to be safe. The front brake is just branded Onza. Presuming it came standard with the bike x amount of years ago? I have these pics if they're any use for someone with knowledge to help me out.. 

20200225_164403.jpg

20200225_164327.jpg

To reduce the travel of the lever, turn the silver part anti clockwise. Ensure also that the distance between the brake pads and the disc is about 0.5 mm on both side. If not you can adjust this on the caliper (on both side I think - the inner side with a screw and the other side by tensioning the cable)

Welcome!

Sore hands is pretty normal until you get used to it again, but your rear brake with standard pads on an untreated rim will be hard work. Some Tr1al pads would be a good shout.

Rear brake: bleeding is not a standard maintenance procedure for HS33 brakes. You only need to do it if there is air in the system. To test, turn the red TPA wheel all the way to minus and pull the lever slowly. If the pads start to move straight away then you're good. If the lever moves a bit before the pads move, there is air in the system.

Front brake: That cable disc Onza fitted is actually very powerful, providing it isn't contaminated, which it looks like it might be from the photos (the rotor should be silver and shiny, looks a bit brown?). Wipe the rotor with a piece of clean toilet tissue and see if anything comes off. If it's contaminated, it will be cheaper and easier to get a new brake. Cheap hydro brakes are a bit crap, if you're on a budget a BB5 works very well and you can use the existing lever and cable.

Thanks, Adam! I have noticed the little red wheel, tried tinkering with it a few days back but it seems as if its seized up. I'll see if I can find a way to get it to move. I was looking on your site last night to be honest. Pricing up some front and rear pads, a bleed, a new rotor and a new chain but it'll have to wait until I have the money spare before I get in touch..  I did see you sell the full BB5 for £35 which seems ideal but like you said, I have read that apparently the "Onza" brakes that come standard can be pretty decent so maybe it just need parts replacing..

Again, times are tough coming to the end of each month :/ and with a trip to paris next month. I'll have to see what I can afford! But for sure, I'll be giving you guys a ring in the upcoming months to see about taking the drive up to the shop.

I can only assume you are happy with the angle the levers are set at but might be worth trying out different angles of the levers and bars. Reaching that far down for the lever might be placing pressure on your palms which is making them hurt? Just a thought.

Could grind your rear rim, and try metal backing pads too. The stiffness may help or hinder, so worth a try. If it helps, try running a 2 or 4 bolt booster for added stiffness.

Hi mate, grab a file and file/sand off the paint off the rear rim. If you’re struggling for decent pads a bit of tar will definitely help. Next step would be to get yourself some decent pads (I’ve used yellow and blue heatsinks and black adm pads and I’m happy with any of those). As Ross mentioned putting a brake booster on is another thing to consider. Stops the bike from bending and protects the hoses cos they snap quite easily if you were to accidentally step on them. Finally to make the brake feel stiff try to adjust the callipers/pads to be perfectly parallel to the rim. You’ll also notice there is a wee hidden screw towards the end of the lever blade. Screw that in to bring the blade closer to the bars if you have short fingers like me. Would definitely recommend upgrading to metal tpa and a metal piston. I’ve always water bled my brakes and they seem to work ideal.

Have a look at Ali Clarksons latest vlog on YouTube for other tips and brake adjustments.

I don’t really know much about disc brakes but cleaning the rotor with spirit should help.

47 minutes ago, Daniel-J said:

I've never worked in public. I do what I like to do if you don't go far in listening to criticism. The only exception is if they are people who have made great strides in the business you just started, I think you should listen to their criticism.

Excuse me?

3 hours ago, Daniel-J said:

I've never worked in public. I do what I like to do if you don't go far in listening to criticism. The only exception is if they are people who have made great strides in the business you just started, I think you should listen to their criticism.

Assuming this is some kinda bot, because this makes no sense whatsoever :D