Hunting for a MTB so I can socially isolate myself on a trail.

JT!

https://duluth.craigslist.org/bik/d/duluth-2015-medium-ghost-kato-fs-5-275/7080985421.html

Been keeping an eye out for something I can take off road for a while now. Saw this has been up here for a while and could get it for a little less.

Pedals Wellgo platform

Bottom Bracket Shimano BB52 BSA

Chain Shimano CN-HG54

Tires Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 27.5 x 2.25

Frame Construction Aluminum

Fork Brand & Model Fox 32 Float Evolution CTD, 130mm travel

Wheels Alex MD21

Cassette Shimano CS-HG50, 11-36, 10-speed

Crankset Shimano Deore, 38/24

Rear Shock Fox Float CTD XV, 120mm travel

Front Derailleur Shimano Deore

Rear Derailleur Shimano XT plus

Handlebar GHOST Low Rizer light

Handlebar Stem GHOST AS-GH1

Headset Prestine PT-F-11BH

Saddle GHOST VL 3315

Seatpost GHOST light

Brakeset Shimano Deore hydraulic disc

Shift Levers Shimano Deore

There are certainly more modern bikes available for similar money here in the UK, I can't quite remember where in the world you are now though? I've seen some 2018 Stumpjumper's go for around £800 I was looking at one a while ago.

Do you have access to calibre in your neck of the woods? they offer some great bikes for incredible value, or maybe even vitus by CRC?

2 minutes ago, Davetrials said:

There are certainly more modern bikes available for similar money here in the UK, I can't quite remember where in the world you are now though? I've seen some 2018 Stumpjumper's go for around £800 I was looking at one a while ago.

Do you have access to calibre in your neck of the woods? they offer some great bikes for incredible value, or maybe even vitus by CRC?

Calibre? I'm in the USA. And to be honest this is probably the best deal I've seen on something that isn't a hardtail. I don't mind buying used bikes because for the most part I can upgrade parts myself, and hopefully get something a lot better for the money.

2 minutes ago, marg26 said:

Quite old, probably be alright for XC but might not take too much abuse looking at 32mm forks and QR hubs. Depends how well bearings and shocks serviced.

I'll mostly be riding on trails, no drops or downhill stuff too old for that crap. Would take a decent hardtail if it showed up, but not gonna turn down something with rear if it's worth it.

That's just over £600 in UK cash, doesn't seem like a bad price if it's been well maintained - frame bearings / shock etc...

If you could knock them down to around £500-550 that seems like a pretty good bike for the money. Certainly good enough for general trail use.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, 500 pounds would be 650 dollars.

It's apparently in excellent condition. My only issue with it is that it's a medium frame. Their website says 180cm is the max height for this frame size, i'm 181. But it is a bigger wheel size than I'm used to so I'll have to take it for a spin and see.

Hard part is going to be explaining why I need a 4th bike to the wife.

Guy never bother to get back to me, but looking into new Rockhoppers, surprised to see them start at $550, Rockhooper comp with a 1x up front (which I love) for a little over $700.

No rear suspension obviously, but with the type of riding I plan on doing it probably isn't necessary.

On 3/9/2020 at 1:58 AM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

And you can still get get a full sus bike for number 5!

I may literally run out of room at that point.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:39 AM, marg26 said:

Hardtails are great!  I've got a 2012 xc full susser but prefer my more modern 2017 ht I built up. Get a cheap ht and upgrade what you find you need or want to after riding.

Yeah for the riding I'm going to be doing I don't really need anything with rear suspension. That way I can get something much better quality too. I'll see what the used bike market gods offer me.

Currently looking into a 2019 29" Cannondale Trail 3 but they guy wants $200 less than RRP so he's gonna have to come down on that.

Been aggressively chasing bikes on pinkbike, facebook and other online classified pages. No luck so far. The market is competitive and bikes sell fast, come across many I'd have liked but they either sell instantly / already sold, or are crazy overpriced. Some people even selling the same as retail and not budging on their price even when I tell them I can buy it new for a few bucks more.

So now I'm looking at this...

https://www.sunandski.com/p/7705052391950/cannondale-men-s-trail-5-mountain-bike-19 (you might have to copy and paste, no idea what's going on there)

...a brand new Canondale Trial 5. The price is up there, and tax and shipping puts it at around $900. But it does have everything I need, bigger wheels (may have preferred 27.5, but I'm happy to try 29" never having anything bigger than 26") 1x up front, and the forks are actually RockShox as opposed to Suntour crap I mainly see at this price range. Shimano Deore gearing and Shimano brakes.

$900 in the used market could get me something like 2018 Truck Rosco 8 which apart from having much better forks and a dropper post, they're a very similar bike from my POV. I think I'd rather put $300 into it, and have something new verses the pitfalls of buying used so save that money.

What you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up going with a new 2019 Cannondale Cujo 3 27.5+

Bigger tires actually worked pretty well on the packed snow at the higher pressure rating, and I can swap the wheels out for some skinnier 29s down the road.

bike2020.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/2/2020 at 11:33 AM, Davetrials said:

now you can enjoy the snow.. in april

Yeah winter here is pretty much November to April. Literally half the days of the year see temperatures freezing or blow. I'll never get used to it.