Covid19

Davetrials

Just goes to show how insanely ignorant someone can be. Yeah lets just blast the body with UV light inside and out and somehow through every 0.5mm layer of their body to kill coronavirus.

Still riding, some day on my old MTB, some on Inspired.

Yesterday police chased me for not wearing a mask outside I guess (they tried to force me stop, but I pedaled away as fast as I can and trials skills helped a lot to get away), but that's extremely stupid, because masks makes sense only indoors/close to other people.

I'll lose my mind sitting at home 24/7, that's impossible.

IMG20200426152308.jpg

2.jpg

We're lucky in the UK in that we're still allowed out to exercise. It's really opened my eyes as to what exercise can be, some people are working hard to stretch the definition to include drinking beer, smoking illegal substances, sitting down, walking really slowly and staring at your mobile phone ;)

I would have been out cycling more the past week or so but slightly injured my lower back doing this part of this warm up routine which makes rear hops etc rather painful!

Edited by marg26
*some* people!

9 hours ago, NINJА said:

Yesterday police chased me for not wearing a mask outside I guess (they tried to force me stop, but I pedaled away as fast as I can and trials skills helped a lot to get away), but that's extremely stupid, because masks makes sense only indoors/close to other people.

Honestly I'm still working serving customers and I don't even wear a mask. Why you'd need one outside when you're riding along on a bike is beyond my understanding.

Genuine question, is it possible that coronavirus is actually about as dangerous as the flu? How do we know it isn't given that we're testing covid-19 and the flu differently?

Since the Office for National Statistics hasn't published all of April yet, it's difficult to finish off these stats, but I ran some numbers from their data just out of curiosity... Here is the data they hold on all UK deaths in the first four months of each year:

2016: 188,999

2017: 192,899

2018: 211,037

2019: 187,775

2020: 207,336

The data for 2020 only goes up to the 17th of April, so it is likely to actually be around 257,000 I would estimate. If we assume it is around 257,000, Coronavirus certainly seems to have taken more of a toll than regular seasonal flu.

No conspiracy theories attached to this, I just wanted to see proper figures rather than media hype.

Those are just total deaths though right? I'm more talking about, if I got the flu, or if I got corona virus, what would be the likelihood of me dying? I've read the chances of dying from the flu are around 0.1% and 1% for coronavirus if someone got it. But these numbers are based on tested people, most people don't get tested for either, but seeing as though we have limited tests for corona virus, only the worse cases are being tested, I'm wondering if we were freely testing everyone who's sick, could those %s be the same?

And yeah I'm not downplaying the seriousness of it, and obviously no one is immune so it'll spread fast, but makes me wonder how deadly this thing is.

7 hours ago, JT! said:

Genuine question, is it possible that coronavirus is actually about as dangerous as the flu? How do we know it isn't given that we're testing covid-19 and the flu differently?

My sisters paramedic friend died the other day from covid19 at the age of 53. Have you heard of people that young dying from the flu in recent times?!

I'm kinda astounded thst people are still comparing this to the flu. Genuinely gobsmacked 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dann2707 said:

I'm kinda astounded thst people are still comparing this to the flu. Genuinely gobsmacked 

I saw someone using cancer as a point to base an argument round the other day, as in more people die from cancer campored to Covid so why arent we in lockdown to save us from cancer?

The virus is properly scary, but the mentality of some people is even worse. I'm friends with alot of Americans on facebook with my work and 75% of them are just f**king idiots towards it. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dann2707 said:

My sisters paramedic friend died the other day from covid19 at the age of 53. Have you heard of people that young dying from the flu in recent times?!

No, but not everyone is getting the flu every season. Everyone is potentially getting coronavirus. And on top of that, we don't know how to treat conroavirus yet, but we have a lot of experience with the flu.

I'm certainly not one of those "it's just the flu" people. Even if it was as deadly as the flu we'd still treat it the same as we are because no one is immune. I'm just wondering ultimately when all this is said and done how deadly this virus actually is. Obviously the mortality % will always be dropping because of more tests and better treatments, just wondering by how much it'll drop.

I just got kicked off the pumptrack by the police!

They first said it wasn't social distancing which I (politely) explained that I was on my own and well away from anyone else...they then said it was recreational and not exercise. TBF I didn't argue, there were some younger guys in a group and I understand that to stamp it out they have to stop all use. I'd rather they said that though than suggest you can only keep fit as long as you don't enjoy it :P   

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ali C said:

You’re allowed to drive as long as the activities last longer than the driving 

I read that somewhere but couldn't find it on the .Gov website when I looked... Our local pump track (nowhere near as awesome as yours)  is currently closed off, though it is in forestry land. We got moaned at by some old dude a few weeks back (who had driven to the woods to walk his dog when driving definitely wasn't allowed) but we just ignored him. I was guessing it was more for the potential to do yourself an injury reasoning rather than social distancing specifically.

I think there is a lot of confusion about the guidelines. My dad told me that he got shouted at by a young tractor driver, for riding his bike on a rural road, a couple miles from home. The guy took pictures of him on his phone and said he was going to report him to the police. My dad laughed, blew kisses for the camera and told him to f*** off. 

• Like 5

On 04/05/2020 at 8:19 AM, Ali C said:

You’re allowed to drive as long as the activities last longer than the driving 

That's English law, Scotland hasn't relaxed they lockdown yet so it's still just the hour of exercise from the front door I'm afraid.