Covid19

Davetrials

Not going to lie, I’ve really enjoyed it. I have a job I can do from home, the only two things I did prior to lockdown was ride my bike and go to the pub, I can still do one of these and I can drink at home! But the real silver lining for me is that I am able to witness loads of development of my 14 month year old boy - I definitely wouldn’t have witnessed his first steps with out it! Don’t get me wrong though I reckon another few months and I’d be itching to ride somewhere more than my local town and with some other people. I have been incredibly fortunate with this scenario so appreciate for a lot of others this wouldn’t be the case but witnessing some friends in different varying scenarios ive seen them chose to approach it with varying attitudes which has impacted how they have faired mentally as they progressed through it. I guess I have learnt that some friends may have it worse than others but it doesn’t mean some people you may think have it easier don’t need more support at this time. I think I’ve learnt a lot about mental health and those close to me through out this which in turn is another silver lining to help better yourself through out it.

• Like 4

Glad most of you are coping alright other than Mike, hope things improve a bit for you soon mate. :(

I'm lucky to also have a job I can do remotely, and it turns out it suits me much better if I do. Certainly much better for my head than going to an office full of fake smiley hyper-extroverts every day. :lol: (My company has loads, the ones that interrupt you for very minor questions that could be in an email, but they spend 5 mins first asking about your weekend but then don't care about the answer).

The biggest thing for me is not riding my motorbikes, that's been my main hobby for the last 5 years or so. I'm used to riding one of them every day (commuting), but now I'm WFH and I don't want to risk going to hospital or adding strain to the NHS, so they're just sitting there. I've got back into going walking though and PC gaming again so it's not all bad. Just getting itchy feet because there's no adrenaline associated with walking about or sitting down. It's really weird how it does feel like an addiction, like craving chocolate mid-january when trying to shift the christmas belly. :lol:

I've been lucky (in a way) that our house extension has been able to continue during the lockdown (builders are a father/son pair with local self-employed subbies) which has kept me busy in painting and decorating duties (yay). Also having the kids (5 and 7) has kept us busy keeping up with their school work. It's only fairly minimal, reading and then maybe an hour or so work every day, but keeps structure and it's good to be involved a bit more with their education. Apparently we're in the minority though. In my youngest's class he's one of only four who are actually doing the work set by the teacher. Some people really aren't even trying!

Work-wise I've not had to do much so it's not far off being furloughed on full pay so really not complaining at that!

We've been making the most of the nice weather and exploring a lot of the local paths and trails near us that we never even knew existed so that's been cool. I've also been keeping myself busy with little projects- making my own Freebord from longboard bits, castors, 3D printed risers etc., ripping out the decking in the garden and repurposing it into a platform to sitck our hot-tub on, making 3D printed hammer attachments for my Leatherman Skeletool, making some Prusa faceshields for the local ambulance people... next challenge is to try and craft a brake onto the little one's mini Rocker BMX to add a little safety... Starting point is a classic cruiser caliper brake which has sufficient drop to hit the rim (hopefully) and going to 3D print a drill jig to help drill the seatstay bridge. Not a project but also ordered an Aerosteeze for the kids to use on the trampoline. They're currently only £39 which seems pretty reasonable considering what you're actually getting! 

Wife reckons that schools may be opening on reduced capacity from the 1st June but who knows... Keep safe peeps!

• Like 3

Hi guys! Hope your all staying safe and well..!

Been furloughed here, job is impossible from home (I'm a swimming teacher..) so until pools can reopen im stuck off work.. kids are both doing well with homeschooling though I have to admit we are relaxed with it, im definitely not one of these strict schedule mums.. have taught them both to ride their bikes without stabilisers though so that's a bonus of lockdown!! Dreading them returning to school to be honest, I've actually really enjoyed having them home and spending such quality time together, (even if we feel like killing each other sometimes..) I am really missing work though.. gonna be tough going back to some sort of normal..! Xx

• Like 1

On 08/05/2020 at 7:46 AM, Muel said:

Glad most of you are coping alright other than Mike, hope things improve a bit for you soon mate. :(

I'm a pretty good situation really, compared to many, but it is difficult being stuck in a flat for weeks on end.

I'm usually traveling the country, staying away for work once or twice a week. Meeting people constantly etc...

Since I got back from Malaysia at the end of Feb I've been sat in the flat. I still have my job, but it's really not an email-based job, so I'm not achieving much.

Like I say, others have it way worse, but it's still frustrating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

But you are getting out to go for walks or on the bike or something aren't you?...

Yeah, but an hour tops a day isn't much compared to my previous lifestyle.

Like I said, I have it better than many so I can't complain, it's just a huge change and it's difficult to adjust to it.

There was never a time limit put on... just Michael Gove suggested an hour of walking might be about right for a person of average fitness. And the 'once a day' thing was (I say was because that has now been lifted) completely unenforceable from a human rights point of view.

This government are being very clever at trying to control and manipulate us, and not let common sense prevail! I'm very disappointed it seems to be working.

• Like 1

Second spike around mid august then guys?

These altered guidelines seem to out even more emphasis on the public and less responsibility with the government. I don't see how they can relax the rules but up the punishment. 

Considering how the public acted when the lockdown was in 'full force' it will just be a free for all in a weeks time, especially when Boris pushed hard on spending time in the park, in the sun!

• Like 1

Agreed. I don't see this going away any time soon.

Something related which is interesting, my partner's mum bumped into an old friend at the weekend, who has recently returned from living and working in Wuhan.

She and others were gifted a 'support package' by the Chinese government in September last year, including food and money. And you have to consider how far 'down the line' an elderly woman sits in such society. So it seems fairly clear China are covering up, and it took serious lockdown to finally nip it in the bud almost 6 months down the line.

Almost certain now that what Jane and I had over Xmas was some form of this virus, neither of us have ever been so ill before. I ended up at the docs for some antibiotics, my whole medical records were 4 lines long! He reckoned sinusitis which led to mild pneumonia - I would put good money on if I had the same now, it would be diagnosed as Covid-19.

• Like 1

On the topic of the update... Do you guys interpret this as riding now being allowed? I specifically mean street.
I've been riding here and there in car parks etc. but desperate for some actual spots. I've not gone into town because I got too anxious about being confronted.
But now it's a bit calmer, riding in town is still just exercise, and I'll still be on my own because that part was mentioned, but people don't really like riding at the best of times.

I'm looking for diplomatic answers please - not "lockdown is BS" and not "you can't ride at all". I'm asking publicly so that an external person hopefully telling me what I already think will push my anxiety down a bit.

Edit: And what about travel for riding if still on my own? I was getting bored of Leeds and Bradford already!

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

I find it pretty strange too that the majority of self employed will be trades and construction who are yet to receive any help from the state, yet they're the first to be urged back to work? I'm not looking forward to tax bills in the future, this will all have to be paid back somehow..

Worst outcome for my business was realised yesterday an all my 2020 trade shows have been cancelled, rightly so, health comes before anything, but after investing so heavily into the business for a few years and hoping for big returns this year it's pretty gutting. 

9 minutes ago, aener said:

On the topic of the update... Do you guys interpret this as riding now being allowed? I specifically mean street.
I've been riding here and there in car parks etc. but desperate for some actual spots. I've not gone into town because I got too anxious about being confronted.
But now it's a bit calmer, riding in town is still just exercise, and I'll still be on my own because that part was mentioned, but people don't really like riding at the best of times.

I'm looking for diplomatic answers please - not "lockdown is BS" and not "you can't ride at all". I'm asking publicly so that an external person hopefully telling me what I already think will push my anxiety down a bit.

Edit: And what about travel for riding if still on my own? I was getting bored of Leeds and Bradford already!

Can't see why not, unlimited exercise was how Bojo put it. Other sports like golf, fishing and surfing are back on the cards and I can't imagine 99% of people have the ability to do that within walking distance. I followed a pickup with 2 DH bikes hanging out the back about a week ago so even in the height of lockdown seems people were travelling for rides. 

I'd be careful travelling too far, but certainly 20-30 mile radius would be pretty realistic.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

There was never a time limit put on... just Michael Gove suggested an hour of walking might be about right for a person of average fitness.

Yeah and he was right, my cardio isn't exactly at peak levels these days :lol:

It's only a matter of time before I get this shit and bring it home to the wife. Co worker showed up today coughing, customers still licking their fingers to count out singles and the store has run out of hand sanitizer for customer use.

6 hours ago, aener said:

I guess my interpretation is that you can exercise as your normally would now, so go and film us all some video content ;-).

I had interpreted the previous rules as I could ride for a reasonable amount of time within a reasonable distance and not to take too many risks that may burden the NHS with an injury. Just meant I rode my local town for about an hour on stuff I have ridden for the last 17 years that was pretty small. I didn't get any hassle off anyone, ironically got lots of thumbs up and people being quite pleasant and as places were very quiet it was really nice! I'd say if you can manage to ride mornings or later in evenings it is still going to be pretty quiet with everything still closed so less likely to see any hassle.

I am pleased for the change though as I will ride a few local towns now in the evenings just to get some variety. I think as long as you aren't riding in groups and making a show of things you may get less hassle than normal with areas being quieter...

• Like 1

My partner's an ICU nurse, so we naturally get a pretty distorted-to-the-intense exposure to how serious it is, and thus take the rules a bit more seriously than most. Combining that with me already being a wimp, I haven't even gone into town. Gagging for it!
Neighbours were having f**king BBQ parties in full restriction times, which did not sit well with her, as you might imagine.

Even though Bojo's vague instructions have allowed sedentary sport such as a fishing (I love it but it's not exercise!) to go ahead from Wednesday I see it as lone trials riding to be fine in your local area if it's within your limits. If you find yourself in any kind of group outside of your household then you've really messed up. 

Excited to be able to run in the morning and still ride my bike later on, although no idea when work will pick up again to allow coming off furlough! Agree with Adam on keeping fit being important, with all my rugby 7s tournaments off this summer I don't think I've ridden bikes this much since I was 16, though I didn't have a 2 year old strapped in a seat behind me then.

Seems that Covid is getting some old faces back on trials bikes (excited to start scraping my shins again myself) which is definitely a silver lining in this very large corona cloud. 

But you already can do that? (Aside from street riding technically being illegal in a lot of cases even in normal circumstances)

The question of "should you do stuff that might land you in hospital" is still valid of course, but there's nothing stopping you from getting exercise on a bike.

I don't know if it's nationwide, but Bristol has closed things like pump tracks, basketball courts, tennis courts etc, but you're still allowed to exercise. As long as you're riding solo I can't see a problem - you can't spread it if there's nobody there to spread it to.

• Like 1