Covid19

Davetrials

My partner is a primary teacher, and like mentioned above her school is meant to close from tomorrow. However there are a number of children in the school who's parents work for the NHS etc so they've been asked to actually come in to look after their children.

I imagine it won't be ALL staff and that it'll be on a rota, but it's still funny how they are 'closed' but really not! 

I have to say, I am a ltitle relieved though - I would never get a minutes peace at home otherwise! She's rubbish at keeping herself entertained so she would just constantly interupt my work. 

On 18/03/2020 at 10:48 AM, forteh said:

Yup, all the water authorities are still working on site and demanding their new equipment to be installed!
You're largely lone working aren't you as a jetter driver?

Yeah thats the one. On the upside working with sewage on a daily basis means our immune systems are pretty resilient 

On 3/17/2020 at 5:34 PM, Davetrials said:

What took us so long, shouldn't we have been arguing about this weeks ago?

This. I find it amazing that hardly nobody, myself included, considered that it would eventually make its way into Europe and wreak havoc. It's pretty f**king obvious if you think about it for one second. 

My friend organizes demos, he does most of them, I do about 20 annually myself. Currently every demo during the high season (June) is cancelled. He's lost about 70% of his contracts already and is receiving cancellations daily.

As an importer I've been up to date with what China has been going through in the past 6 weeks so it's quite sobering to be experiencing first hand what my business contacts were going through a month ago. It's heavily affected my delivery schedule but compared to what's going on in the world right now I consider myself very lucky. 

The missus and myself both have old fathers who we have frequent contact with so we've been extra careful. She panics more than me and it's been getting to me lately. Yesterday she organized grocery shopping at 9pm (after considering that 3am when Makro opens is not necessary), got us both respirators and gloves. Neither of us work with people so it's business as usual for us but her brother is a chemist, still lives with his parents and was kindly asked to move out. My mother is a piano teacher and has been conducting classes on Skype this week. Schools closed down on Monday. My gym is closed, had to order some equipment to continue to work out at home. Don't go to restaurants, shop only online. From a driver's perspective things seem fairly normal but there are much fewer people on the streets and trams/buses are half empty.

On the plus side of things, the amount of epic memes on the internet. And the spirit of people stuck at home. 

I think most people, myself included, just thought it was media hype and no worse than flu.

It's only really hit home since seeing doctors in Italy struggling etc...

For me it was a case of seeing China on the news and thinking "Oh, shit, nasty..." and not thinking much more of it. I'm concerned for older members of my family who are high risk, but I'm not too worried about myself, still definitely not looking forward to having it.

As @Greetings said, the spirit of the community is good to see. I'm volunteering locally to help those in need.

20 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Closing but not actually closing... 

It was interesting seeing the tension between the points Boris and his adviser were making in the briefing yesterday - the adviser said that people should follow the instructions, Boris was at pains to say it was just 'advice'.  #leadershipgoals

Obviously that's not specific to the schools thing as there is a need to help people out who can't get child care or need to be in work still, but for everything else it's pretty relevant.

Seems like it's hitting my family a bit more now as my sister's son has potentially had it.  Her son was with his dad (they split up a little while ago) while he came down with symptoms.  Means they're seeing how things go as to whether the dad gets symptoms, and consequently whether he'll need to hold on to the son for a bit longer to try and avoid my sister getting anything.  She's currently with her new partner and their kids, so it's another group of people who would be being exposed to it.

My Mum flew out to NZ in very early March to see my brother, just before international travel went tits up.  She's due to fly home in a couple of days, but her return flights have all been shifted around, she may not be able to get on the plane if she's got a temperature, may not have a transfer sorted at Heathrow as some aren't running.  Her connections are all in hotspots for it, and as she's over 60 she's in the higher risk categories.  Seems everything has come to a head today for them so my family WhatsApp hasn't been a ray of sunshine today :P

On the plus side, I've made some batches of tasty food to freeze for later over the past few days/today, so at least we'll be better off than all the people who are surrounded by toilet paper and pasta.

EDIT:  I usually listen to quite a few music based podcasts, and it sucks hearing how much it's f**king people already.  Similarly, I climb quite a bit and all the places (but one) I used to go have had to close with no idea whether they'll be able to come out the other side.  Considering it hasn't really hit yet, it's already taking quite a toll.  

Aaaaand my wifes been laid off, greeeeeaaat.

4 weeks of disrupted/failed deliveries so low stock, 3 weeks of poor buyer turn out (she works in an auction house). They were told yesterday would be the last auction before the business closes as they just have enough money to pay the vendors so want to go out whilst they're just about in the green. 

The film industry has shut down here in Los Angeles so the wife and I are out of work. We had planned on going to Germany for a month about this time so we're actually financial prepared a little. The stores were initially cleared out, but they've started to slowly come back this week. My kids are already home schooled so no change there, but most of their playground meet ups are getting cancelled. One of my friends husband returned from Italy last week with Covid, but he's already on the mend and his family have self quarantined. Normally it would be spring break all March and Venice/Santa Monica would be crawling. This year the crowds are definitely not here, but the beach is far from empty and Venice had a fair crowd yesterday nonetheless. It's been pretty good for my riding; get to ride every day for the foreseeable future.  I think the US doesn't have much patients for this kind of disruption so I think things will start to go back to normal in a few weeks. Or I could be very very wrong....

This is going to surprise some people I’m sure, but my biggest issue with this so far is the amount of people who were spouting on about backing Boris to the hilt to help him “get Brexit done” who are the same people completely ignoring his advice now. 

I spent most of my 20s telling people to crack on and work when stuff was happening that they didn’t like politically. I regret that anyway, but there weren’t generally millions of lives at stake then like there are now. Stay the f**k indoors you selfish c**ts.

@Swoofty - Once they actually start testing people at scale and the true numbers start coming out things will change.  It takes that kind of push to make anything happen, hence in the UK the response has been fairly muted so far but as instances increase they're getting stricter and stricter.

South Korea and the US had their first reported cases of coronavirus on the same day.  As of a week ago, the US had tested 11,000.  South Korea had tested 230,000.  

Trump said several times he "wants to keep the numbers low" - it's working, and also going to end up killing people.

Sorry to hear about your wife @Tom Booth, that sucks!

It wasnt really news in New Zealand a week ago, then we got a couple of cases (28 now as of yesterday) and shit has hit the fan. Queenstown in particular is built on tourism and obviously there are no tourists coming in so 100s of people lost their jobs overnight, all the Air B&Bs have appeared on the rental market for peanuts on 6 month terms (and I'm glad, greedy b*****d Air B&Bs ruined the town a few years back).

Thankfully it so far hasn't hit me that hard, and hopefully won't as I only sell car parts, but even that has been hit by nobody renting vehicles from the nearby businesses so they don't need fixing... But friends and my Mrs are as good as f**ked for work - which their visas also depend on so they'll ultimately get deported!

The country generally pretty proactive though, they closed the borders last night effective midnight

Edited by Jolfa

aaaand Jane's been told to stop working (massage therapist) which is fairly likely to be the end of the studio she works in unless rent can be paid somehow.

She's slightly stressed but lives with her mum so no rent needed there which is handy but she does have loans that need paying. She's considering working in an Amazon warehouse but is going to avoid it if she has to. One thing with her is that she's VERY good at studying and being disciplined and last year found a way to earn money that she's really keen on perusing (just need the internet and a phone/computer, no people contact and potential to earn (and lose) a lot of money), this has been a bit of a forced push but she's using this whole situation to study hard and make the leap from wanting to do it, to just doing it...I'm actually excited because if anyone can be successful at it, it's her!

I'm lucky in that my job (vlogging) can pretty much carry on as normal and might even get more views with people at home. I'm SO glad I started the vlogs because if I had still relied on shows for income I would be totally screwed right now (like, selling all my stuff and moving back to England screwed) as there's no shows booked for the foreseeable future...right at the start of the season too.  

14 hours ago, JD™ said:

Stay the f**k indoors you selfish c**ts.

Or don't. They are saying that it's perfectly OK to enjoy the outdoors, just ensure that everyone keeps a reasonable distance from one another. Will millions now out of work or working from home getting some time outside is going to be essential for a lot of people's mental health. 
I for one will still be out on the hills mountain biking this weekend, as well as taking the dog out to the beach. 

I benefit from having a front-line job working on emergency reactive works for the water authority, so am still out and about every day. But I really feel sorry for those who are being pressured into feeling they literally cannot leave their homes.
Yes, stay away from busy shops.
Yes, stay out of pubs/restaurants etc.
But "stay the f**k indoors you selfish c**ts"  -  f**k off

• Like 2