Covid19

Davetrials

Well scratch what I said earlier, the entire state of California has been ordered to stay inside now. All non essential businesses are to close. The list of essential businesses is pretty long though. They also said that taking a walk or a hike is encouraged. Today is one of our lowest tides of the year so my family will definitely be out in the tide pools. Gonna get mighty good at the Xbox now I guess. 

And yeah, grocery stores here are hiring on the spot here too. I'm sure delivery drivers are going through the roof right now too.

7 hours ago, J.KYDD said:

I knew I should’ve put the asterisk in there, but that would have taken the edge off the point. 

As someone who’s out running pretty much every day, I get that being outdoors within the guidelines is the right thing to do. I mean “stay the f**k indoors and don’t keep doing all the unnecessary shit you’ve been told not to do, including work if that’s in a dangerous social setting, you c**ts” but it’s not quite as succinct.  

Sorry to be "that guy" but I am taking it seriously and keeping my distance, avoiding contact and washing my hands etc.

How many older people are being left in the lurch with no one to look after them for their own good?

These are strange times.

Theres definitely a strange atmosphere everywhere here, as much as some people are being awful I believe it’s brought out a lot of goodness as well as people being more compassionate for one another.

For me I have the double whammy of being self employed as my primary income and a zero hour contract bike shop job. I don’t believe I’ll be receiving any emails soon to book work in, marketing budgets appear to have been put on hold for now. Luckily I just managed to finish a big job in March in time.

I was also imminently going to be moving to Canada permanently, but my visa will likely be delayed now and that’s not going to be easy to move over and find desirable work now. I’ve not seen my partner who’s there since November and now have no clue when we’ll be allowed to see each other.

In the grand scheme of things I believe I’m relatively lucky, there’s people that’ll be in far worse situations than me and I don’t have too many financial commitments.

I’ve offered my bike mechanic skills to friends and the local community to encourage people to isolate in the great outdoors on their bikes and boost their mental health. I’d like to do some more helping where I can, anyone got any good ideas for that?

Because it does spread the virus? I went riding yesterday and I crossed paths with a couple of groups, they were all very close and on narrow single track going the other way it would be impossible to avoid close contact. 

Same goes for walkers, places I barely see anyone at all are absolutely rammed. Also all these people now doing outdoorsy things how many are going to go out and get injured? That is not needed right now. 

I understand why they’ve banned it, it might be more ideal to force people to ride individually though.

4 hours ago, Duncy H said:

Also all these people now doing outdoorsy things how many are going to go out and get injured? That is not needed right now. 

I stopped trials riding a few weeks back because of this, my luck with injuries isn't something I think I should potentially burden the NHS with. Now that we're coming into summer and daylight's going to get longer I reckon we'll need more restrictions to prevent that kind of thing. 

The benefit of fresh air and exercise outweighs the potential for injuries, in my opinion. I’ve had more trips to A&E from stupid everyday accidents, then cycling related injuries. I wouldn’t encourage high risk riding, but I think going out on our bikes is a good thing.

• Like 5

It’s a fine balance, but I think in general I think people who are likely to be tempted to break the rules are likely to think “but you can go out cycling, so if I just do X, it’ll be ok” 

people don’t make decisions for the good of everybody on their own. Look at how awesome people are at stopping climate change for example.... Police, army, fines, cells...

This is my favourite webpage right now.

In the bike shop I work at on a zero hour contract (as good as unemployed now how I see it) they’ve not really done anything beyond encouraging people to wash their hands. I was today working with an over 60 bloke with diabetes who has an older partner with health issues at home with lots of customers waltzing through the door at free will.

I today got asked to work next week but refused to unless they change the way they operate but they aren’t willing to listen or change. They’ve taken a lot of money this week from sales which to me shows they’re more concerned about what profit they can capitalise on rather than peoples health and well-being.

Should I go in and work tomorrow afternoon and try and enforce change or refuse to show up to work?

In this current situation I believe if we have the ability to do something then it is really our responsibility to do something about it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Duncy H said:

In the bike shop I work at on a zero hour contract (as good as unemployed now how I see it) they’ve not really done anything beyond encouraging people to wash their hands. I was today working with an over 60 bloke with diabetes who has an older partner with health issues at home with lots of customers waltzing through the door at free will.

I today got asked to work next week but refused to unless they change the way they operate but they aren’t willing to listen or change. They’ve taken a lot of money this week from sales which to me shows they’re more concerned about what profit they can capitalise on rather than peoples health and well-being.

Should I go in and work tomorrow afternoon and try and enforce change or refuse to show up to work?

In this current situation I believe if we have the ability to do something then it is really our responsibility to do something about it.

I would absolutely refuse to go in. This is serious stuff and you're just risking infecting your loved ones etc. 

I ended up drawing my moral line in the sand and refusing to go in. 

Every other shop has shut or adjusted to appointment/online/click and collect only services and the owners response was to possibly shut one or two days a week. 

I’d rather volunteer my time to the right cause and have no income than receive a pay check from people that value profit over lives of the population.

• Like 3

Well my work have also done pretty much zero to keep people safe. No mention of staying apart even if it’s not always possible. There isn’t huge amounts of safety/cleaning gear, and some of the people I work with were the kind of people who were down the pub on Friday. One as it turns out should probably be self isolating right now...

On 19/03/2020 at 10:59 PM, Ali C said:

aaaand Jane's been told to stop working (massage therapist) which is fairly likely to be the end of the studio she works in unless rent can be paid somehow.

I'm lucky in that my job (vlogging) can pretty much carry on as normal and might even get more views with people at home. I'm SO glad I started the vlogs because if I had still relied on shows for income I would be totally screwed right now (like, selling all my stuff and moving back to England screwed) as there's no shows booked for the foreseeable future...right at the start of the season too.  

I'm a massage therapist and a show rider.....so...... things are going to get fun! haha

All of my work is self employed, with 3 fixed shift at a back and wellness centre (chiropractors), They are currently open still and not too stressed as its a fairly small place, we only see people one on one and we dont have people in the waiting rooms usually, but due to the wording and the businesses/industrys told to shut, I was told saturday that it would be my last shift for a while, they're being cool about it and want to help as much as they can, they said they may try to work things to have me "employed" staff, so i could be more entitled to help and pay over the next few weeks, but not holding much hope. I still have some mobile work booked in but as you can imagine, not getting many bookings now!

Guess its lucky i bought a PS4 a few months back!

Trying to think how many fictional virus movies have been made in the past and yet our governments have not made any real contingency plans on how well equipped would they be if the threat became very real.

The only movie that really springs to my mind was Outbreak with Morgan Freeman and Dustin Hoffman. Even though I saw 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, and I am Legend, I didn't feel these movies represented the virus threat in a you could really relate to real life unlike Outbreak.

Is anyone else getting quite annoyed with Boris's announcements? 

He's telling us to stay at home, 1 exercise outing and 1 essential food shop, but I don't know if it's his demeanor, or just because its madlad Boris but it's almost more of a subtle suggestion rather then an order.

Where does anyone think the guidelines fall on someone self employed and sees zero customers/people a day falls? Can I still go into work? I'm fortunate enough to have a garage that is now housing some of my work so I can stay at home, but given my circumstances can I go into the workshop?

7 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

Is anyone else getting quite annoyed with Boris's announcements? 

He's telling us to stay at home, 1 exercise outing and 1 essential food shop, but I don't know if it's his demeanor, or just because its madlad Boris but it's almost more of a subtle suggestion rather then an order.

Where does anyone think the guidelines fall on someone self employed and sees zero customers/people a day falls? Can I still go into work? I'm fortunate enough to have a garage that is now housing some of my work so I can stay at home, but given my circumstances can I go into the workshop?

Seems to be deliberately non specific because as soon as he tells a business to close they have a responsibility to help keep them financed.

Working by yourself with no footfall sounds fine to me. All of these rules have come about because of idiots and those who simply can't keep distance because of where or how they live. For me, it's about common sense... if you have some, it can be applied. If not then a stern looking Boris needs to tell you what to do.