Disc brake recomendations hopes/ Shimano

chris_m

It's a lot about personal preference as any one of those will get the job done. I've got Maguras on 4 bikes (MT5, MT4) so I stick with them for familiarity and commonality of parts and their customer service has been great over the years. I've only heard good things about the newer high end Shimanos too. Whichever ones you get, just become familiar with setting them up and caring for them and all will be well. As long as they work, it doesn't really matter what kind you have.

I am running Shimano xt 4 pot and have done since the summer and have been fit and forget. Really easy to bleed and shorten cables etc. On a 24” I am using 160 rear and 180 front and although I may when I need to replace the rear disc go to 180 it wouldn’t be from lack of power at 160. As above a lot of it is personal preference. I found that hopes felt to flexy at the lever and the Shimano felt really positive once pulled in and didn’t get that flex past bite point which I much prefer. Can’t say around Magura as haven’t used a set however can’t be bad as lots use...

I used Shimano Zee as front and back brakes. Recently I replaced the front brake with a SLX (2 pot) one.

I was/am really happy with both configuration.

A friend tries currently the 4 pistons version of the Deore MT501. They are difficult to find but cheap and to be honest, I did not notice any difference with my brake: same feeling and power.

I recommand trickstuff power brakepads. 

I'm running Zee on my Console, stock pads and Magura rotors. I think they could be better but I haven't tried different pads yet or non-Magura rotors with them. Not sure if changing the rotors would make much difference.

I've seen other threads on here recommending EBC pads (red or gold?) (can get them for Zee on trialsaddict.com).