Chairs.

Little Yoshi

Today my 17 year old office chair that I use at home for my hobby desk/gaming has finally died. So I'm looking for something decent to replace it with, I'm not an office worker so I'm looking for some recommendations for chairs that are comfy to sit on for a few hours. 

Any of you guys can help? Budget is around £150-200. 

I've got a GT Omega Master or something. It's been a good chair to me. I did however manage to break the base a few months ago. I just got it welded though which wasn't too bad. I think if you go for the cheapest gaming style chair you'd be pretty happy. They are all probably made in the same place anyway haha.

Another vote for Ikea's Markus.

I bought one almost five years ago and I'm just now starting to think about trying to put some new padding in.
Really comfy and the mesh back is great in summer. (Don't notice it as being "cold" in winter but definitely removes the stickiness in summer.)

The lumbar support is good, and the arms are really stable for saying they're just two bolts in each. Regularly lift my full bodyweight off the seat on them in a "dip" type position to use some muscle a bit whilst working.
Can tilt all the way back (backrest to about 50°, but the seat and arms tilt independently of the back so it feels like a lot more) and still feel totally stable.

To clarify: I go through phases, but initially thought to get "a good chair" because I was starting an MSc, so I was putting 12-18 hours of ass into it for that full year most days. I am quite a heavy computer user outside of that year, and I'm currently working from home, and also do lots of desk based projects. Still comfy.

I didn't realise I was so passionate about chairs.
Thank you for revealing that to me.

Edit: Downside is that the arms are a bit too close to each other/forward supports are in the way to cross your legs on the seat.
There is a nice little gap between the seat and the back for your toes to sink into when sitting on your ankles though.

Edited by aener

4 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Weird that you should ask, I'm looking too. One of my friends recommended this:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-grey-30261152/

I'll watch this topic for other suggestions before I click buy on that :)

I had decided to just go for this before everyone above posted replies, there's no stock in my area :(

I've got an IKEA chair that's similar to the flintan but without arm rests and with an adjustable spring lay back mechanism and a different base. Doesn't appear to be available now but was about 90 quid when I got it 5 years ago.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/flintan-nominell-office-chair-with-armrests-black-s59208197/

Mesh back is great but I found the seat base got uncomfortable quite quickly and was getting a numb arse after a couple of hours.

Mrs wife made me a tapered foam bolster (foam from an old comfy armchair lumbar cushion) with a sheepskin top which I strapped to the seat with ratchet straps sewn to the underside of the bolster. It's cut and shaped like a fighter jet seat cushion so it fits my joystick which attaches to the front of the seat base with a home brew bracket.

Chair is super comfy now and I can do 8 hours straight without any pain at all :)

edit: it's cut out like the fronts of these seats and the joystick sits in the perfect position between my thighs.

Consider getting yourself a sheepskin to sit on, it's awesome.

GWhd7.jpg

Edited by forteh

Would have thought chairs too personal for seeking recommendations for! Or I'm just weird!

I can't stand chairs that wrap round me and are all soft and squishy, far too hot and encourage me to slump far too much. I have one of those Ikea Flintan at work, without the arm rests. I either slump right back for a short while (in which case I appreciate the mesh back preventing my back getting sweaty) or otherwise just perch on it with something approximating good posture with my back away from the rear of chair.

1 hour ago, marg26 said:

Would have thought chairs too personal for seeking recommendations for! Or I'm just weird!

Yeah, this is true, but a good place to start is from decent recommendations. Almost everyone has suggested the IKEA Markus so far (Not just on here), so it must be pretty good.

If you read reviews of more generic brands on eBay / Amazon you mostly end up with mixed reviews from "AMAZING!" to "WORST THING EVER" on the same chair, so difficult to buy based on that...

As soon as the Markus is available in Bristol, I'll be getting that I think.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:25 PM, forteh said:

edit: it's cut out like the fronts of these seats and the joystick sits in the perfect position between my thighs.

Quarantine may be making me horribly immature, but I chuckled at the thought of your wife making you a seat strap-on to get your joystick into the correct position between your thighs. 

• Like 2

It works for me!
Worst bit is the kids love playing with it*

To be fair, she only stitched the cover together, I id the strapping and the joystick plug and socket :)

*something about pretending to fly planes you filthy pervert:huh:

• Like 1