Concrete box identification.

Al_Fel

I'm doing an extension and I've been digging the garden back to make space for a patio area.

Can anyone help me identify what this box is or was?

It's been back filled with all melted junk. It's got a steel bar that goes around the outside of the ledge. It looks like there were corrugated tiles going up around that step too.

Any help appreciated I've already ruled out Aliens/Lost ancient technology so we can all skip that joke.

Thanks.

20200429_110742.jpg

20200428_154326.jpg

20200430_103017.jpg

20200430_114426.jpg

20200430_114513.jpg

20200430_114407.jpg

20200430_113422.jpg

• Like 2

I really haven't got a clue what it could be. The edge around it has like corrugated tiles in vertically. They have been broke off and just the bottom of them is left so I don't know how high they would go up. I don't know what the recess is for on the bottom right either. The step slopes into it whatever it is. I thought that was some kind of drainage but its just blank.

My initial thoughts when I started digging it out was air raid shelter of some kind. Maybe for a single person but I very much doubt that. I'm curious as to why it was cast with the rounded corners? I might have to start digging underneath it and see how thick the base is.

First thought was that it was for water/food for animals. Second thought is that I've got no clue.
You could get it out and make a nice fountain out of it though.

Any idea when all the soil got dumped on it?

7 hours ago, Topsy said:

First thought was that it was for water/food for animals. Second thought is that I've got no clue.
You could get it out and make a nice fountain out of it though.

Any idea when all the soil got dumped on it?

The current house was build late 70's early 80's but that was to replace the original house that was built earlier (The gable ends of the houses in the street were cracking and it was cheaper to just build new houses). Not sure when though. One of the neighbours mentioned something about an underground stream and another one said the water table is high. He seemed to think it could have housed a pump of some kind to keep on top of the water. I very much doubt that though.

Virtually everyone has said it looks like some kind of animal feeder.

Spoke to my mates dad who works for historic Scotland. He says you should get in touch with the local authorities as it could be worth something, it's the corners that's got him interested. He's thinking it's something more than just an old arms cache. 

• Like 2

I posted it on a local facebook page. Most people seem to think its a horse trough/feeder, some people seem to think its a septic tank. I don't think its big enough to be a septic tank personally but you never know. A few people have also said its the bottom of an air raid shelter but again I don't think its big enough.

I feel like It'd also be a bit of an odd construction for an air raid shelter really, especially with Anderson's and Morrison shelters available.

Maybe it's some kind of ritualistic baby drowing thing or whatnot.

The corners seem quite complicated for a simple trough, but what do I know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...