Bike Selection (Czar Neuron / Inspired Flow)

TomWood

Looking for a bit of insight into a couple of bikes I'm looking at. I've been scouring the used bike sections for weeks in different places and missed a few good opportunities due to either not having the budget or someone else getting there first. My budget has since gone up a little bit and I'm thinking about buying new if I don't find anything used in the near future. 

Anyone have any more opinions or insights into these two bikes? Which one would you choose? Will one save me more money in the long run?

Inspired Flow 2020 (Aluminum fork, but otherwise base model): (888GBP)

Pros: Cheaper by about 250 GBP, threaded BB from what I can tell

Cons: Square taper BB, far fewer tire options for 24 inch wheels, unsure about the longevity of the chain tugs used for chain tension, Kenda K Rad heavier and less grippy than the Maxxis Holly Rollers 

Czar Neuron 26 2020: (1140GBP)

Pros: through-axle front fork and rear dropouts for stiffness and security, 26 will roll over rougher stuff more easily, Holy Rollers stock which are better than the K Rads

Cons: through-axle rear may limit hub options in future, Spanish press-fit BB (press-fit BB has always been a problem for me on other bikes), external chain tensioner that could get ripped off

Background in case it's relevant at all: I started playing with trials a couple years ago very casually on my dirt jumper with a front brake. I moved and lost that bike. I've been playing around a bit lately on my trail bike (Kona Honzo) and I can still do 180 nose pivots to my good side, reliably hop on my rear wheel, static pedal kick gaps about 1/2 a meter (hoping this will be farther on a smaller bike), and static hop up about 30cm (again, hoping this will be more on a smaller bike). I was playing with taps and tire swaps on my dirt jumper before I lost it but I can't do that on my Honzo. Both too afraid to damage the fork and drivetrain or the geometry and slammed stem isn't making it any easier. So still definitely a beginner, but not brand new. I'll be riding with the intention of having fun goofing around and improving my trail riding skills. More urban with straight edges, but there are some rocky areas around me too. No trials competition future for me that I can see. 

Just out of interest, if you can stretch to the Czar, that would theoretically also include the Flow Plus?  The only reason I mention it is it negates the issue of the square taper cranks and Kenda tyres on the standard Flow.  The tugs on the Flow are really nice - you don't need to have any worries about them (Y)

For what it's worth, the usual rear hub upgrades people make to something like the Hope Pro 4 would still be do-able on the Czar.  The Spanish BB aspect is a fair point, although they tend to be pretty reliable on those bikes.  The tensioners aren't as prone to damage as conventional mech hanger mounted tensioners either - they're just far inboard enough they tend to be tucked out of the way of most impacts.

Looking at them side by side you would likely be upgrading similar parts on both of them as time went on and you progressed anyway.

I think the Flow is the best frame kit and geo for somebody to be getting into the sport on the basis that it offers you that really nice mix between street influenced and trial specific geo. The reach is pretty much bang in the centre of the range now also so it won't feel short or super roomy while the Echo is one of the shortest you'll get and that I personally think makes it a fine line between some riders loving or hating it from the very start.  

Regards to Echo using the Spanish BB system to their credit Echo got that right from the moment they changed to it. I never had any issues with the bearings or axles when I rode them. I think a few riders may have had problems with a batch of ti axles at some point early on but most of them were Ross McArthur so it doesn't count. 

• Like 1

I have a flow plus with arcade riser bars everything else is stock and it's a great bike to start out on . I will probably change the brakes later down the line but the stock bb5 ( I think ) are good to start on and will only upgrade when I start doing bigger stuff but that's a long way away.

I'm  6ft 2 and don't  feel cramped up but anything smaller would be a real push .

In short I highly recommend the flow plus and tarty bikes they were amazingly helpful .

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Super helpful. It sounds like both are pretty solid bikes with no major concerns. I'm sure I'd be super happy with either decision. It sounds like the Flow is a safer bet and would be versatile even with the smaller wheel size. 

@Mark W You're right about the Flow Plus. It just seems to be entirely out of stock everywhere.