Brakes, what's everyone running?

Tom Booth

I've had SLX's on the Orange since it came from the factory and I've been impressed by them but never really amazed, always just done an OK job really. The last 2 years or so theyve really started to need maintenance alot more frequently, and after yesterdays ride the front has lost power completely. I'm assuming a seal has gone in the caliper and its contaminated the pads/rotor.

So, in the market for a new setup but I'm really unsure what to go for, budget isn't really a decider as I'd rather spend the money on a serviceable item that will last rather then something more throw away in a few years time. I'd like something powerful, I'm a big dude, so need a fair bit of stopping power. 203/180 F/R is a likelyhood.

Instinct says Hope of some kind but reading the reviews on the newer stuff doesnt seem so good, Magura MT7's seem a good competitor but seem to struggle with reliability issues and after that I've not bought MBUK for a long time so not sure what the other options are really.. 

Just interested what everyone else is rating, or if you have any other opinions on the Hope's or Magura stuff really.

Edit - just spotted the revised SLX m7120 4pots, anyone had any dealings with those? Seem good for the price, just interested in the longevity of them.

I've found the Shimano stuff seems to be relatively cheap so people just run them till they break then buy new again, Hope people seem to be in it for life (or quite a while anyway). 

If I was in for an upgrade I'd be tempted by some Hopes

Magura MT7's here, they came on the Cannondale I bought new in 2016.

I've replaced the pads twice and bled them twice, other than that they've not needed anything else in four years.

I weigh 97kg, so I'm not exactly light and they stop me just fine with one finger on the lever. I'd definitely get them again, maybe even splash a bit extra to get the next ones up, but certainly no complaints here. I'm running 180 front and rear.

I'm currently running Hope Tech 3 V4s and have to say they aren't great for the money. They fade really bad and are pretty inconsistent. 

Previous brakes were the slightly lower model Hope Tech 3 E4s which have a slightly different piston set up, I can tell little difference between them.

If I were to buy a set of brakes now I'd likely go XTR, however I've heard nothing but good things about the XT + SLX 4 pots. aside from some serious shimano noise in damp conditions - Can be avoided with a change to aftermarket pads.

I run Shimano Zee up front (203mm) and a Deore on the rear (180mm). It has been "fit and forget" reliable and consistent. Although I'm not a super hardcore rider and I am pretty light weight. I've been really impressed with my Shimano brakes. All three of my bikes have them.

They haven't been mentioned, but stay away from Sram brakes!

6 minutes ago, Mikee said:

They haven't been mentioned, but stay away from Sram brakes!

Agree with this, too. My friend had no end of problems with his and they came on a £4k bike, so you'd expect them to be half decent... He ended up binning them and getting Hopes instead.

My Guides were shit too! Mainly the calipers to be honest, I've still got the levers mated to some Hope X2 calipers and they work well. X2 calipers with Race levers on the SS hardtail and they are decent.

I like 2 pot brakes for simplicity, then go up a rotor size if you feel you want a bit more power and fade resistance, and always use OE sintered pads.

Never had good long term results with 4 pots - uneven piston movement, fast and uneven pad wear, heavier, more expensive. That said the Shimano stuff I've encountered seems good.

MT7 have a lot of power but the levers fall apart after a while.

Hope are the best long term due to availability of spares.

To add, I am fairly light but pretty "sensitive" to crap brakes and don't put up with anything sub par.

If I were to go out and buy brakes with my own money right now, I'd go for some Hayes Dominion models (2 or 4 pot, your choice). From feeling them at Eurobike, they have the nicest lever feel I've ever felt...the lever took the lest amount of effort to move, it's insane.

Power is meant to be good too and they seem to be getting great reviews

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ali C said:

If I were to go out and buy brakes with my own money right now, I'd go for some Hayes Dominion models (2 or 4 pot, your choice). From feeling them at Eurobike, they have the nicest lever feel I've ever felt...the lever took the lest amount of effort to move, it's insane.

Power is meant to be good too and they seem to be getting great reviews

Just looked up some reviews, love the little grub screws they've got on the calipers for alignment!

Avid Guide R here, still bedding in, but they are crazy powerful compared to my old Deores, the lever is super comfortable, Im really enjoying them at the moment, I wouldn't mind giving a set of TRP G spec ago, they look amazing. https://trpcycling.com/product/g-spec/

Still not actually used Magura on an MTB yet, you don't see so many out and about on the trails, there's always good old hope? they just don't tick a box for me, they look a bit OTT and the levers are uncomfortable

Maguras are pretty great, the calipers are the strongest and most maintenance free I've used plus I love the magnetic pads which removes the need for those springs (which can bend and hit the rotor). The levers fall apart from trials use as we tend to put a lot of back/forth flex into the blade but they're not so bad on the mtb...until you crash. I've been running shimano levers on my magura calipers on my trials bike for a while now with no issues, could be an option for the MTB too perhaps?

I think Hope brakes are fantastically well made and the ease of spares is a bonus. I do find them under powered compared with other brands though plus I've always found them to vibrate and give a real high pitched tone if the pads drag even a tiny bit. I also found them to be fairly high maintenance and I'd get sticky pistons quite often.

Sram guides feel nice but are under powered.

Sram Codes have great power and feel great, had them on my Santacruz for over a year and I've only had to change the pads. The downside is the lever pivot bolt keeps on vibrating lose no matter how much I tighten it.

Rightly or wrongly I've gone for a pair of m7120, 203 rotor up front and 180 back. I'll report back in a few weeks after I've given them a good bed in and a few rides.

Hoping it's fairly fit and forget after the initial setup and bleed but time will tell! They seem to sell like hot cakes considering CRC seem to sell out regularly, but theres not many reviews or feedback about them!? 

Turned up this morning so after a few hours fitting and fetling I can confirm they're very powerful! I've reused the back rotor and that was pretty much an instant success, the front had a new rotor due to contamination and that took a while to get going but once it did it's really, really good. Hopefully they continue to be solid and the longevity is there!

I fancied some more bite on the back end as I'd like to try and use the orange as abit of a trials/street rig, aswell as its trail duties, so I ordered and fitted a set of UberBike semi metallic pads on the rear and it's insane :lol:

Grabs and holds so hard, has quite a nice spot of modulation before the grab which is nice. For normal trail duty it would be totally too much, but for a chuck around it's great fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Got Guides on my Commencal Meta AM enduro rig, and have always thought they were massively under-powered for the bike, but haven't had the funds to spank on some new stoppers. 

However, I've just had the bike back from a full strip down service and re-bleed of the brakes and my mechanic (Amped Cycleworx on Insta) recommended swapping out the pads for a set of Galfer Pro's. Couple of the racers who Sam supports at EWS level have been running them for a while and rave about them. 
I've been on the green 'pro' pads now for a few rides and can confirm they've transformed my brakes. Saving me a small fortune in a full new setup 

Edited by J.KYDD
Missed info
  • Like 1