Locked-out Derailleur Wisdom

Sponge

When I first started Trials it wasn't uncommon to see stocks equipped with a locked-out Shimano road derailleur for use as either a singlespeed tensioner or for use with 5/6 working gears. Some older trials riders have run gears on DJ bikes this way too. Nowadays it's practically lost technology so I thought what better place to seek wisdom regarding this forgotten ancient technology than from the TF OGs who rocked this back in the day. There are old threads about, though no one's talked about these for many years so it'd be cool to get a discussion going!

From what I've gathered so far, Shimano Road rear derailleurs with a short cage were the preferred choice. Found some instructions how to do this on an old OTN thread:

• Take the C-clip off
  • pull the B-tension screw/plate off
  • pull the spring out of the derailleur
  • put the B-tension screw/plate thing back on without the spring in it
  • put the C-clip back on
  • Tighten the derailleur onto hanger.

Generally what are the pros and cons of a locked-out derailleur setup?

Can this be done with any modern Shimano MTB or Road derailleur regardless of speed and cage length?

Does it work on specifically the 10 speed short cage ZEE or Saint M820 rear mechs, or any 11 or 12 speed XT or Ultegra short/med/long cage mech?

5-6 gears in the rear was the norm with locked-out derailleur - how come people weren't using a full 9 speed cassette or a full 10 speed? Does the locked-out method limit how many gears it can shift sideways and how about max tooth capacity?

Can we make locked-out derailleurs great again? ^_^

Discuss!

2001-Megamo-stock-Rafal-K-btbike.jpg

Take a bit of derailleur cable and knot one end. Put the knotted end where the cable housing would enter and run the cable to the usual fixing bolt. Now you can use the barrel adjuster to pick the gear you want. No disassembly required. Works on any derailleur with a barrel adjuster.

• Like 1

I was at a British Comp round once and noticed Akrigg had done it on one of his Onza bikes, I asked him how he locked his out and he had done the same and just took the spring out and just set his gears up like normal. Simple and affective, plus it followed on with a lot of riders.

On 16/05/2020 at 7:20 PM, Swoofty said:

Take a bit of derailleur cable and knot one end. Put the knotted end where the cable housing would enter and run the cable to the usual fixing bolt. Now you can use the barrel adjuster to pick the gear you want. No disassembly required. Works on any derailleur with a barrel adjuster.

Until the inevitable moment when you bash it off on a side hop fail :lol: 

I seem to remember having a full cassette and range on mine when I locked mine out. But the reality is you only need 2 or 3 gears. 

It used to be the law. Stock bikes had to have working gears, now they have to resemble timmys pogo stick and not be rideable on a trail.

Short cage road 105 was my preferred, I would have a V brake cable, with large end to catch in the lever- but i would put that end right up to where the derailler adjustment was, and pull the cable through like normal and tighten it... couldnt shift, also zip tied the derailler body to the frame... no bouncy bouncy slap noise.  If you wanted to shift, a cut in half grip shift was the jam... or mount an indexed og mtb shift lever on your seatpost... 

Edited by AndyT