Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark W

New geometry measurements

5 posts in this topic

All bikes and frames* on the TartyBikes site now have reach and stack measurements - not a huge change, but does give a bit more clarity about the way different frames will feel.  The 'old' reach measurement was more useful than just relying on wheelbase was/is, but these new reach/stack measurements go a bit further.  It's interesting to see how different frames compare (e.g. the Arcade being longer and lower and the Fourplay being shorter and higher), and how that correlates to how they feel to ride (with the Arcade/Fourplay, I always felt 'on' an Arcade and 'in' a Fourplay).

The comp frames were a bit more surprising though.  I compared an Echo 26" frame to the Clean K1, and with the 'old' reach the Echo appeared to be much longer.  It turns out with the 'new' reach the Clean was longer, but the stack height of the Echo was what was skewing it.  

Nothing ground breaking here, but might be useful for some people to compare stuff if they're looking at switching frames/bikes...

cool-story-bro.jpg

*Think there's only the Crewkerz Lab 18" and some random Monty frames that don't have them.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Mark W said:

*Think there's only the Crewkerz Lab 18" and some random Monty frames that don't have them.

you had one job - Meme Generator

If you want a 25" rear wheel Monty frame, you want a 25" rear wheel Monty frame...

On 22/05/2020 at 9:34 AM, Mark W said:

If you want a 25" rear wheel Monty frame, you want a 25" rear wheel Monty frame...

I found this very amusing. 

I did see some posts from Kevin Liu on insta yesterday calling this out but I hadn't really seen these new measurements. What was the overall verdict on that? 

I only read Kevin's comments rather than watching all the Stories, so I don't know fully what he was saying outside of the comments on IG.  Initially I thought he was implying something else and got a little thrown by that, but looking back I see what he was saying.

Essentially, I don't think the reach/stack measurements are going to work out exactly with the 'old' reach for a variety of reasons (roundings in the new calculations, measuring things by eye/tape measure vs. plotting specific points distances on a computer, and a few others). 

I'm going to look into it more and see what's up with it and see where variations are coming in, but for now as all the reach/stacks are worked out using the same datasets on the same bike geometry calculator, they should be a fair like-for-like comparison if you look from one bike to another.

We're going to add the 'old' reach calculations back in too.  We thought that as the new measurements offer a greater level of detail about feel that riders would basically be able to look at a frame they know they like, check out the measurements, then look at a prospective new frame/bike to work out what the differences would be, but it sounds like some people just want to know the 'old' reach.

It kind of reminds me of when we first introduced the 'old' reach measurements to bikes, but there were some hold-outs who didn't care as they just wanted to base it purely on wheelbase.  'Old' reach is still a more accurate way of assessing ride than the wheelbase, but with the variations in frame geo and construction now we need something a bit "more".  That 'old' reach is distorted by BB height and top tube length, and if you look across our range of bikes there's an over 80mm difference between the lowest/highest BB, and over 40mm is difference between headtube lengths (which is nuts!).  It's hard to really know how they play into things, which is the point of the new reach/stack measurements.

It'll take a little while for people to work out preferences and how they want a bike to feel and consequently the geo they need, but I don't think that adding more info is a bad thing.  Admittedly if you prefer the 'old' reach us removing it wasn't ideal, but that's being reinstated so it should be all good from then.

2 people like this