Injury stress advice

Hi all, definite newbie here. Done some road (speed thrills) enduro, trail and dirt jumping for quite some time but never trials.

I've jumped in the deep end and am in the process of fully converting my DJ gear to trials.

Luckily I have some of the basics down but not sure about the stress it will put on my wrists.

I had an op to repair a non-union scaphoid fracture which had to have a bone graft and metal pin which limits my range of movement slightly. Anyone else have any thoughts/advice?

IMG-20181203-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20181203-WA0002.jpg

Start small. Put in some time to dial in your bars and brake lever position. I haven't had surgery, but I have some wrist issues and brake lever position is huge for me. I spend a lot of time changed that around whenever I get a new bike or new equipment for the cockpit. 

• Like 1

My advice is dont overdo it in the early days but dont do nothing... I've have had multiple broken wrists and a major motorcross accident that exploded the joint surface on my ralius. The wrist is full of metal, and at the time, I thought riding was over. I did physio, did the exercises, started out small and have about 80% movement and strength with it these days.

Now I regularly race downhill, enduro MTB and have started trials in recent years with my 10 year old son.. Sometimes the smallest mistakes hurt my wrist, hopping on the front wheel and land off balance etc.. you learn the limitations and as TomWood said, you adjust the bike if it helps.. Stay motivated, the human body has amazing way to get better with time if you do the right things.. cheers!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cookie70 said:

My advice is dont overdo it in the early days but dont do nothing... I've have had multiple broken wrists and a major motorcross accident that exploded the joint surface on my ralius. The wrist is full of metal, and at the time, I thought riding was over. I did physio, did the exercises, started out small and have about 80% movement and strength with it these days.

Now I regularly race downhill, enduro MTB and have started trials in recent years with my 10 year old son.. Sometimes the smallest mistakes hurt my wrist, hopping on the front wheel and land off balance etc.. you learn the limitations and as TomWood said, you adjust the bike if it helps.. Stay motivated, the human body has amazing way to get better with time if you do the right things.. cheers!

Great advice and inspirational to boot!