MTB frames for trials

Karlos28

Hi all,

For a good few month now I have been looking at my 4x/DJ bike that I never use, thinking about changing the frame for something lighter and more 'flicky'. After looking around for a while I stumbled across Ali Clarksons videos about his retro build, which is exactly what I'm after (except I will have disc front and rear). I will be using it for street and wouldn't mind getting back into some dirt jumps still. The Solid Harlem I currently have is so low, long and heavy, it's not really good for much that I want to do!

I am unsure whether to go for a jump frame, or a small MTB frame, like Ali did... Anyone else built anything similar for inspiration?

I just missed that trailstar! Yeah I'm thinking along the same lines, my Solid Harlem is a decent bike, certainly never going to snap it, but it weights a ton, with the low BB and long WB it's a bit of a lump to hop around and just does not feel agile enough. My 1993 Kona kilauea feels far more spritely, but I have just built that up for the gf to ride as it's ideal size for her.

I also like the ID Jekyll, a mate has one and it looks well, still a touch on the heavy side though.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Karlos28 said:

I just missed that trailstar! Yeah I'm thinking along the same lines, my Solid Harlem is a decent bike, certainly never going to snap it, but it weights a ton, with the low BB and long WB it's a bit of a lump to hop around and just does not feel agile enough. My 1993 Kona kilauea feels far more spritely, but I have just built that up for the gf to ride as it's ideal size for her.

I also like the ID Jekyll, a mate has one and it looks well, still a touch on the heavy side though.

The DMR I was looking at is still on mate:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293598575569

A bit of a project but could work.

If you want a smaller frame and lighter than the Identity then this is also on eBay... Base TA26 at £125 if that suits your budget

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184310420081

@Ross McArthur has a beaut of a build on this same frame. Take the bash plate off and it looks ace. Small rear triangle will make it nice and light to hop around on.

Edited by Private Repress
Typo
  • Like 2

I don't want to be the A-hole in the room here, but honestly, do yourself a favor and buy a modern Hex or Czar 26" frame if your intention really is trials. I got that retro bug a while back and converted an "OG" frame for trials use and honestly it was a dog. Sure some are better than others, but you only need to look at 'Road bike party' to know that a proper rider CAN do it on any bike, but that sends the wrong message to 'Joe Beginner' about these old school frames. Remember the old adage about never buying a used trials bike? That goes double for an old MTB frame resurrected to use as a trials bike. If you happen to be a trials master then yes, it is fun to build up a retro frame for fun, but it sends the wrong message to people just starting out.  Even a cheap proper trials frame will far surpass an old MTB frame shoe-horned into trials service. Just sayin....

• Like 1

I hear you swoofty, I do also have a trials bike that I am mucking about/learning on. I'm basically looking at changing my low long heavy HT, that I never use, for something a bit more fun. Not purely for trials, might still run my DJ forks too. Also, it's not really going to be retro running double disc.. 

A mate had a Flow Myth for sale, but I think he's sold it now annoyingly.

Ah yes private, I have seen those two. Didn't know much about that base so didn't think much of it. Will keep an eye on it, ta.

Edited by Karlos28

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2020 at 3:03 AM, Swoofty said:

Remember the old adage about never buying a used trials bike? That goes double for an old MTB frame resurrected to use as a trials bike. If you happen to be a trials master then yes, it is fun to build up a retro frame for fun, but it sends the wrong message to people just starting out.  Even a cheap proper trials frame will far surpass an old MTB frame shoe-horned into trials service. Just sayin....

Literally don't know what you're on about?!
What old adage? Thousands of people have had bargain second hand bikes to get into the sport. 

Old MTB frame resurrected? The wrong message to people starting out?

Are you kidding? At the beginning trials riders were just on small MTB frames, which gradually developed into the modern things you see now. There is nothing wrong with people riding on whatever they have to hand. What possible reason is there to enforce some kind of barrier to entry for new riders where they think it's impossible unless they pour money into a completely specific bike? Everyone I knew started off on old small mountain bikes and made a few changes and learned to ride. We all went through phases of super low, super long, seatless... yadda yadda... most of us ended up back on Pashleys, Paces and Curtis, that ended up looking more like normal MTBs again - I could even ride across town and sit on a comfy seat. And session the streets on the same bike. 

Edited by biketrialler
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, biketrialler said:

What old adage? Thousands of people have had bargain second hand bikes to get into the sport. 

You never know just how 'used' a used trials bike is, especially when those frames are getting up there in the years now. Maybe it was more of a thing here in the States, because we never really got the Pashleys, Paces and Curtis bikes. We had Zebdis and Norcos and those are tough to find that could survive another round of beginner school.

Desire can overcome poor equipment any day (riddle of steel anyone?), but unless you're getting a smokin good deal, save your money for a modern rig. Maybe I'm the only counter point in this thread, but that's all I'm sayin. I'm all for more trials riders, street or pure. It's a barren wasteland for trails here in the US.

I’m not suggesting second hand is perfect, you need to be careful but there are some bargains to be had - also need to consider what your budget permits. Great way for beginners to get started. 

I personally love recycling old bikes and giving them a new lease of life. Almost as much as I enjoy riding.

Some current examples of mine:

Ashton ET bought on eBay, not a mark on the frame 

57906526-905D-41B1-B063-E8824BDA69CC.thumb.jpeg.95d6503eb5f370a4982f13511e095dca.jpeg

A respray and a few choice parts added later, an absolute joy to ride:

A28E8166-03CB-4572-BFE3-42986D7F929E.thumb.jpeg.7046d2bce24f064759461c21278be1fe.jpeg

Zoot, was bought from gumtree with standard v brake build, I gradually upgraded some of the parts, but admittedly the frame has since cracked (being replaced with a Marino when it finally arrives)

8BF8C82E-AB72-4A65-ACF7-7D6D31351320.thumb.jpeg.2a80ea7da09e56ddf7a2d46d3446d90b.jpeg

My lockdown project - Planet X Zebdi - bought the frame on this very forum! Still waiting on a few bits to finish it:

9AC181ED-73AC-42E5-B01F-65D322CDAE88.thumb.jpeg.6d6eb866efc6c0d47141d6aa301f51fa.jpeg

A0FF678B-4FDB-46BA-9DB8-6B5E051762F6.thumb.jpeg.6ed6de76b2ab11ef14be2c1b2834efcd.jpeg

And the most recent purchase, a mint Ashton Justice Resolve:

288521B8-8AD6-4279-9520-40DB38B325F8.thumb.jpeg.4d17539f00381f222bc52aeeda64bd31.jpeg

all second hand, and all sourced at very reasonable prices. In fact you couldn’t buy a new inspired bike for what I’ve bought all of these bikes for. 

Edited by Private Repress
Typo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Private Repress said:

Zoot, was bought from gumtree with standard v brake build, I gradually upgraded some of the parts, but admittedly the frame has since cracked

Where did your Zoot crack? I have that same model and my friend snapped his Zoot Pro so I guess the clock is ticking...

IMG_4467.jpg

^

They look like great bikes! I love picking up biking bargains and spending a bit of time sorting them out and riding and upgrading as you go. That's how I got to own all the bikes I do now!

Although I am having an issue with my T-Bird... Will post another thread in a mo.

Before I swapüed for a new frame, I was riding an Orange Zero from 2001.

It was great, I had a good time on it and I did some progress with.

IMG_4229.thumb.JPG.d1495f6740314f39f281f9ada12e60bc.JPG

Some park/dj frames have a geomerty close to a street/trial.

Currently I ride an Eastern nightrain from 2014 as a pumptrack/dj/park bike and it works pretty well for street trial: a friend was stoked how good the frame is. I had also a doberman pinscher, great frame to ride for technical stuff.

I plan to build an Octane01 spark. Think it will be even better for street/trial stuff.

Look at this one found on pinkbike:

p5pb17339321.jpg

4x frames are not ideal for trials, the chainstays are really long and the bottom bracket low. I have a Last Tremonia, I had a Sunn Forestjump 4x, a Morewood Enza, a norco rampage, a GT moto... They are excellent bikes for pumptrack and 4x, but they are really difficult to rotate and work better with high speeds.

Edited by La Bourde
  • Like 2

That looks sweet, exactly what I would be looking for. Is it 24? 

Yeah my Harlem is very very similar to a GT Moto, only heavier... I don't have any pics to hand. I have tried a few bits on it and honestly find my 27.5 Sanderson Blitz XC bike easier to throw about. Hence why I never use it!

On 19/06/2020 at 10:57 PM, La Bourde said:

This one seems to be a 24", right.

I don't know exactly if the spark frame changed.

I noticed that the old builds have 24" wheels but Octane01 described the current model as a 26".

The Octane One Spark definitely is a 26". Works ok with 24" but feels better on 26".