26" Forks / Inspired Tapered Problems

tez162003

Okay, so I am building up a bike at the moment and getting back into riding again after a 15 year hiatus (thanks lockdown). I bought the Inspired wheelset with Maxxis Holyrollers (2.4") and some Inspired Tapered Forks with 15mm axle. When they arrived I pumped the tyres up, went to put the wheel in the fork (before fitting the forks/headset etc) only to find that the tyre doesnt fit. I know most forks are 24" but also fit 26", however this just doesn't fit. I'll contact Tarty Bikes tomorrow as thats where I bought them from, however looking at stock options, they don't have anything that would fit the wheels. Perfect scenario would be a set of Hex forks as they're 26" and known to run the 2.4" holyrollers, but it looks like they only get sold with the frame, not that the frame or forks are available anywhere at the moment. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what forks would work? I can fit a straight or tapered steerer tube, I also run a front disc.

Help! : (

The forks technically fit 26” wheels, but it seems they don’t fit 26” wheels with the tyre their own wheel set comes with which is quite disappointing to be honest, that’s why I kept with one brand.
I spoke to Ali Clarkson earlier about this and he said the ones I bought are an older model (black colour) and known for being a little shorter, meaning limited tyre options, if that’s the case Inspired should know what fits and sell their wheels with the right tyres? 

I’ll grab some pictures tomorrow to show you what I mean. 

Sorry you had some issues with this Terry! We have had quite a few customers using a 26" wheel with these forks, and we've been able to successfully fit 26" wheels in them too - but clearance is tight so it does depend on tyre size.

The Hex Wheelset isn't designed to go in this fork with the 2.4" Holy Roller fitted, a smaller tyre will work but appreciate you'd like to use the tyre you already have.

I can hear you are on the phone with Stan right now so hopefully everything will be smoothed out soon. Any of the labour required and any exchanges will be done as a priority, of course.

Apologies again for the hassle!

• Like 1

On 17.6.2020 at 0:57 AM, tez162003 said:

The forks technically fit 26” wheels, but it seems they don’t fit 26” wheels with the tyre their own wheel set comes with which is quite disappointing to be honest, that’s why I kept with one brand.
I spoke to Ali Clarkson earlier about this and he said the ones I bought are an older model (black colour) and known for being a little shorter, meaning limited tyre options, if that’s the case Inspired should know what fits and sell their wheels with the right tyres? 

I’ll grab some pictures tomorrow to show you what I mean. 

I got the first generation of the tapered for too (black). This is a big fail from inspired to be honest.

I have a narrow rim (internal width is 2x) and I run an Onza XIII in 2.25. It fits.

But it is impossible to run the hose through the steerer, there is not enough place at the end of it! Amazing for a fork that costs around 200 GBP!

The new model is longer. I think the hose will fit.

I'm not sure it's a "big fail". The fork is for 24" wheels, but customers asked if they could fit a 26" wheel to it as well. We checked, the one we checked fitted, and it seems you have been able to fit one as well.

So, in fact, I would say it is kinda cool that you can use a 26" wheel in a fork which is really designed for 24".

Other 26" specific forks are available, and for less money if that is a consideration.

I bought a pair a while back, only noticed when fitting them to a bike and putting the wheel in that the wheel wouldn’t turn. I spoke with Mark Westlake about it and I didn’t really want to send them back as I needed them. 
In the end I put a schwalbe table top on to see if I had more clearance compared to the Continental race king I had on before. Wheel almost cleared it so I filed down a little bit of the steerer underneath and it clears fine. Shouldn’t effect the fork in any way but it will void warranty.