Cheap Mountain Bike.

Little Yoshi

Been looking into something just to get me out and about more. 

Notice the Vitus Nucleus 27 vr has some really good reviews and is about my price range at £550. But is it worth the extra 100 quid to get the Vitus Nucleus 27 VRS? 

Open to other suggestions about that price range are welcome too. First real big boy bike so all help welcome.

From a quick scan on CRC, main difference is drivetrain - 2x9 or 1x10. I'd go for a 1x drivetrain these days, and if you want to upgrade to 1x11 or 1x12 in future you might be able to use the existing crankset. The Deore rear derailleur is supposed to be better than the Altus, haven't used the Altus, but have recent 9 speed Deore derailleur on commuter and it's fine. The bottom bracket spec looks wrong on the VRS, says it's square taper, but crankset looks like hollowtech II. Both soldout on CRC!

Calibre are another brand which get some good reviews for budget bikes - usually for the Bossnut, but they do hardtails too.

Up to a certain limit (tipping point is might be somewhere around 2k for hardtails, 5k for full sus), it's almost always worth spending as much as you possibly can on the initial purchase. You tend to get a lot more for what you pay for in a lot of cases. And buying a cheaper bike and upgrading is a very expensive way to get a better bike. 

Of course, it always depends on your intended usage, level of riding, and budget. 

• 2 weeks later...