Any one had acupuncture?

Davetrials

I fudged my shoulder a year or so ago and previously had physio, but its managed to flare up again during lockdown, I'm considering acupuncture, has anyone had any experience with it? did it work? was it useless? do you need multiple sessions?

Cheers For any help guys!

Acupuncture, dry needling, and massage can help to loosen seized muscles and/or reduce inflammation to give you a kick start on mobility. They can offer a lot of relief in terms of pain and discomfort. But the only way to really improve your shoulder, knee, and hip health is to do your physical therapy exercises. There are so many small muscles and attachments in those joints that need attention. Work on the mobility. Work on the range of motion. Work on the stabilization. And work on the strength. Shortcuts are rarely long term fixes. 

• Like 1

The old man had a couple rounds of acupuncture to ease his sciatica/former slipped disc/feked shoulder/feked neck/general construction industry related breakage, administered by his GP some 10+yrs ago and when the muscles in his lower back released from spasm he said it was mint ('til he'd have to do something daft @ work like work fetal in a crawlspace etc. or hump gear about then it'd 'wear off'). He still rates it highly. 

That doctor retired soon after but his parting words were "get yerself a tens ma-sheen, not quite as good as this (getting stabbed w/ pins) but y'can use it way more regular...") and pointed him in the way of this

https://tensmachineuk.com/choosing-the-right-tens

I'm sure it's as application specific as everything else in life but might be a shout as much as anything else.

I've had it a few times and it helped me a lot for various aches and pains, but I think it also really depends on the person you go to, some are simply useless. For some things I only need to go once, for others another once or twice a few weeks later.

I'd say it's defo worth a try. :)

I've not, but as the partner of a nurse I've heard horror stories and will mention to exercise judgement.

I don't know anything about it, but I have the impression it's one of those things that under scientific study there's no evidence it actually does anything, but if you get placebo from it then who gives.
The issue arises in there being no required qualification to set up shop - much the same as chiropractic. Any old bugger can claim to be one, and in both cases you can seriously screw people up if you do it wrong. Specific to acupuncture are multiple cases of people re-using needles without sterilising - obvious infection risk - but then proceeding to nick the spinal column with said dirty needle, introducing an infection to someone's spine and leaving them paralysed from the neck down.

Obviously that's a totally end-of-the-bell-curve scenario, but the risk is real. There are loads of other examples, but I thought I'd just dive right in :lol: 

My uneducated and inexperienced instinct says it probably won't do anything objective, but if you feel like it will, or that you'll get a desirable subjective response then proceed, but with caution. Don't go for the cheapest place you can find.
Treat it like getting a tattoo, I guess.

Treat it like a tattoo is probably quite good advice.

Defo wouldn't go to just anyone and follow people's recommendations.

You can't set up shop here without any approved qualifications so I guess it's less of a risk here. Acupressure doesn't need any though, but that also hasn't got the risk of messing you up with needles. Never tried that.

Anyway, first time I went was to a Chinese lady, which one usually links as "correct" with acupuncture, and I didn't find it great, then was recommended an Egyptian chap who is the most patient man I've met (he needed to be, I don't enjoy the thought of needles in me that much honestly) and it's been great the times I went, though it doesn't seem "first choice" with it being traditional chinese medicine, if you know what I mean.

So yeah, get lots of recommendation from people I'd say. :)

On 18/06/2020 at 8:31 AM, isitafox said:

Not acupuncture but I've had needle therapy which is similar. 

What kind of issue have you got with it? 

Sharp pains on the outside of my shoulder under certain strain, very specifically (and oddly) a crab walk recently during a workout really caused some issues, handstands have gone to shit, and dips are possible but I basically wince though the pain, probably not helped..

20 hours ago, aener said:

I've not, but as the partner of a nurse I've heard horror stories and will mention to exercise judgement.

I don't know anything about it, but I have the impression it's one of those things that under scientific study there's no evidence it actually does anything, but if you get placebo from it then who gives.
The issue arises in there being no required qualification to set up shop - much the same as chiropractic. Any old bugger can claim to be one, and in both cases you can seriously screw people up if you do it wrong. Specific to acupuncture are multiple cases of people re-using needles without sterilising - obvious infection risk - but then proceeding to nick the spinal column with said dirty needle, introducing an infection to someone's spine and leaving them paralysed from the neck down.

Obviously that's a totally end-of-the-bell-curve scenario, but the risk is real. There are loads of other examples, but I thought I'd just dive right in :lol: 

My uneducated and inexperienced instinct says it probably won't do anything objective, but if you feel like it will, or that you'll get a desirable subjective response then proceed, but with caution. Don't go for the cheapest place you can find.
Treat it like getting a tattoo, I guess.

Holy f**k Flip. 

you should design cigarette packaging

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Topsy said:

Treat it like a tattoo is probably quite good advice.

Defo wouldn't go to just anyone and follow people's recommendations.

You can't set up shop here without any approved qualifications so I guess it's less of a risk here. Acupressure doesn't need any though, but that also hasn't got the risk of messing you up with needles. Never tried that.

Anyway, first time I went was to a Chinese lady, which one usually links as "correct" with acupuncture, and I didn't find it great, then was recommended an Egyptian chap who is the most patient man I've met (he needed to be, I don't enjoy the thought of needles in me that much honestly) and it's been great the times I went, though it doesn't seem "first choice" with it being traditional chinese medicine, if you know what I mean.

So yeah, get lots of recommendation from people I'd say. :)

I'm looking at using a pretty reputable physio business, not some old bod on the streets, I'm hoping to get some relief so I can start work on physio, sort of a head start on it. 

On 20/06/2020 at 6:59 PM, Davetrials said:

I'm looking at using a pretty reputable physio business, not some old bod on the streets, I'm hoping to get some relief so I can start work on physio, sort of a head start on it. 

I've got a mate who can do sessions over Zoom, trains 100% calisthenics so well into the kind of things you've been doing and his knowledge is unbelievable. 

Will happily send his details over if you want, I literally won't go to anyone else. 

I've always been a bit sceptical that stabbing someone with needles would release tension and pain, but thought i'd give it a go as my shoulder had been giving me pain for 18 months of so. I had one session at a well reviewed, reputable physiotherapist, I described my shoulder issues, has a quick consult , was recommended dry needling and booked myself in for a treatment. The experience was uncomfortable and at times painful, I lost sensation in some areas and had reduced mobility with other muscles. Coincidentally had previously worked with the chap that was now shoving needles into me, at a bike shop, he was the manager and fairly useless; but very sure of himself.

Did some research and found the owner of centre, the actual trained physio gets very good reviews... the chap who i saw I is a trained massage therapist, that's it. No other formal qualifications or training that related to physiotherapy or sports injury treatment.

Didn't go back, found another sports injury therapist; she was brilliant and with a lot of work and consistently doing the exercises set i've sorted my niggles...... touch wood.

TLDR; Got stabbed with needles with someone that didn't know what they were doing. Don't.

1 hour ago, craigjames said:

[...] found another sports injury therapist; she was brilliant and with a lot of work and consistently doing the exercises set I've sorted my niggles...... touch wood.

This. A good physical therapist will give you good exercises to properly help your issue. It may not ever go away completely, but you strengthen the body enough to offer support. 

3 hours ago, craigjames said:

I've always been a bit sceptical that stabbing someone with needles would release tension and pain, but thought i'd give it a go as my shoulder had been giving me pain for 18 months of so. I had one session at a well reviewed, reputable physiotherapist, I described my shoulder issues, has a quick consult , was recommended dry needling and booked myself in for a treatment. The experience was uncomfortable and at times painful, I lost sensation in some areas and had reduced mobility with other muscles. Coincidentally had previously worked with the chap that was now shoving needles into me, at a bike shop, he was the manager and fairly useless; but very sure of himself.

Did some research and found the owner of centre, the actual trained physio gets very good reviews... the chap who i saw I is a trained massage therapist, that's it. No other formal qualifications or training that related to physiotherapy or sports injury treatment.

Didn't go back, found another sports injury therapist; she was brilliant and with a lot of work and consistently doing the exercises set i've sorted my niggles...... touch wood.

TLDR; Got stabbed with needles with someone that didn't know what they were doing. Don't.

That seems like a red flag, if one of my Ex bikeshop bods turned up to poke me with needles id be off. there's mixed reviews in here, maybe the old fashioned way is still the best way to go

20 hours ago, isitafox said:

I've got a mate who can do sessions over Zoom, trains 100% calisthenics so well into the kind of things you've been doing and his knowledge is unbelievable. 

Will happily send his details over if you want, I literally won't go to anyone else. 

I've tried in the past and I really struggled to get on board with the idea, I felt like I wasnt pushing my self far enough for fear of damage, Does your mate have a website or anything? is he qualified or just a bendy bloke on the internet?

6 hours ago, Davetrials said:

I've tried in the past and I really struggled to get on board with the idea, I felt like I wasnt pushing my self far enough for fear of damage, Does your mate have a website or anything? is he qualified or just a bendy bloke on the internet?

No he's highly qualified, was a PT from back when you actually had to study hard for it! 

Easiest way to contact him is via his Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/SteveSchofieldmvmnt/

Can't shout his praises enough, massively knowledgeable and a top bloke. 

My fiancee works as a massage therapist and has a colleague who is an osteopath and can do acupuncture. 

In Scotland (and I'm sure England too) you need to hold a needle license to be able to perform acupuncture or tattoos, not a massive hurdle for someone to get so it doesn't rule out incompetence but it's worth checking they've got that at least!

Acupuncture probably won't fix the issue BUT it can be a good thing to have alongside massage and mobility exercises, I've never had it myself but I've heard good things from those who have 

I began having accupuncture 25 years ago.  In that time I’ve had it done by many different people in different states, and many different styles... 

It is a good band aid for pain, when you are clueless about the body (as we all are from birth) it pays to see a physio / learn how to strengthen and hold your body properly. 

I’ve dealt w a lot of pain and been injured for many years, have always been searching for the key to keep my body strong. Takes a lot of research and a lot of patience.  I’ve had many many mentors/paid for many different “programs” etc- taking a little from each experience. 

Proper food and strength training along with mobility... pain free at 38, faster and stronger than I ever have been.  Looking forward to the geriatric trials comps in 40 years.