Anyone know where I can get a custom stem made?

1a2bcio8

As the title asks, anyone know where I could get a decent custom stem made? I'm struggling to match up my steel bars with an adequate stem (I've just broken a stem trying to use the bars with a shim). Basicallly the bars are 22.2mm but I need a stem that is 90/95mm x 35/45degrees and 1 1/8th, which is seemingly non existent. A BMX stem doesn't work for me geo wise. The end result obviously needs to be really strong. I'm guessing it might be better to have it CNC'd even if the end result looks weird and is heavy.

If anyone can help get me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. The custom stem makers I've found so far are for gentle kinds of riding unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by 1a2bcio8

34 minutes ago, andrey-p said:

I'm riding on a steel 22.2 bar with a Hope AM/FR 31.8 stem with no any problem. I ordered a custom adapter, which cost literally nothing.

IMG_20200219_130625.bak.jpg

Good news! I’m wanting NS District Bars but then I’ve been bummed that I don’t have a wide choice of stems... I bought a bmx stem, looks cool and feels unbreakable but it’s weighty.... the hope AM stems look beaut, what bars are you running there? Also your bike looks cool dude, any chance of some pics and spec ???? :) 

Edited by Wantedinspiredarcade

19 minutes ago, Wantedinspiredarcade said:

Good news! I’m wanting NS District Bars but then I’ve been bummed that I don’t have a wide choice of stems... I bought a bmx stem, looks cool and feels unbreakable but it’s weighty.... the hope AM stems look beaut, what bars are you running there? Also your bike looks cool dude, any chance of some pics and spec ???? :) 

It's local made bar named TSB (123mm rise and 2mm walls thick) and it's only sold in Russia I think. There is only an old topic with my bike, but I repainted the frame and changed some spares since that time.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2020 at 1:50 PM, MadManMike said:

Surely it would be lower cost to replace your bars than to have a custom machined stem?

Yeah but these are the District bars, they look great B)

That being said, I am very happy with my Jitsie Hybrid Riser Bars from the Tarts.

Edited by justinlock
Additional thoughts

Thanks for the responses so far. In response to what's been said...

I want to run NS District bars because I prefer the geo, the dampening and (rightly of wrongly) perceived/assumed safety of steel bars. I had a serious accident some years back with a catastrophic material failure (aluminium) and I need to feel as though my bike is safe in order for riding to be enjoyable. Also, the geo of all alu bars sucks for my preferences.

The hope stem suggested doesn't offer the right geo unfortunately. I'd happily run a bmx stem if that geo were okay. I'm 6'5/6'6 so I need a front end as high as possible whilst still reaching forward enough.

To behonest I can see myself just ending up with a bmx stem because the most important thing is feeling safe even if the geo f**ks my back up although I might be too old to not protect my back at this point (just getting back into riding at a more "advanced age" so not sure what the limits or requirements of my fitness are).

Not all shims and stems are created equal, so it may have been a bit of a random/one-off issue with that one perhaps? I'm not sure what you shimmed it out to (25.4mm or 31.8mm?) but that may have played a part too?

Just thinking that if NS supply their bars with a shim then it should be OK. Depending on where it cracked it may have been a case of it being tightened too much too? 

If you're happy to use a small shim, BBB do a 90x35 with 25.4mm clamp: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBB-High-Rise-Handlebar-Stem-MTB-Alloy-T6-35-Angle-25-4mm-Black-90mm/143482088216

Forged stems are usually a good call for strength - getting that material all aligned is nice... Getting a higher rise CNC'd stem is usually tricky just because they're much more wasteful to make so I imagine most companies don't want to f**k with it. The billet would have to be pretty big to do any kind of decent length 35° stem in comparison to the usual 0 or 10° stems Hope do, for example.

You should be all good with keeping your back safe - may be worth trying to tap up Nick Goddard on Facebook or Instagram and seeing if he's got any tips. He's properly into the calisthenics/movement stuff these days so may have some ideas for movements/exercises/stretches you can do to get your back sorted out and a bit more resilient. You're never too old or f**ked for that (Y) 

Oh, hey Mark.

The issue isn't just with stem dying but also that the bars move within the stem when faced with higher amounts of force. I stopped using District bars previously (many years ago) for this reason. I was using (before and recently) a 25.4mm stem with the respective shims that permit 22.2mm bars. I eventually started using a bmx stem, which solved the movement but this dropped the front end too low, which cramped the cockpit, causing a bend in my back and back pain. Unfortunately the ergonomics of this are fundamentally problematic and can't really be circumvented beyond geometry that respects my gangly stature. Back exercises can defintiely help mitigate the problem to an extent but not fully (I'm already doing lots of training to make my body good for riding at present due to an immediate injury when I started trying to ride again last year but the curved back just really hurts after riding regardless) and I suspect it's a risk for my long term prospects if not fully respected. My body is way more shit than before. Middle age is creeping in the bushes, ready to have its way with me if I'm not careful.

The stem you've suggested is the one, I believe, that I was using. I did overtighten and break them them in the process of trying to get the bars to stay still.

We need to catch up by the way. I'm moving to Scotland in a few months so before then. Regular Bristol riding on the go at present. Happy to hit up Cardiff though.

Edited by 1a2bcio8