Arcade rear axle slip

freetrials661

Hello, 

I've got a relatively new arcade fuse, running stock trialtech m6 rear axle and arcade chain tugs.  While admittedly I'm not the smoothest rider, I've been having a problem where on some moves which place a lot of force on the rear wheel (drop gaps, bunnyhops with speed, etc) the wheel will slip in the dropouts - not like crazy, but enough to cause the wheel to rub the chainstay.  I'm tightening the axle bolts very tight, I don't have exact torque numbers but any tighter and I'm worried about thread stripping. 

I'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem with the arcades, and what, if anything, you were able to do to fix the problem. I'm thinking about trying some new axle nuts with a bigger head/ more surface area.  The through axles on the fourplay are starting to look like a pretty slick idea...

Thanks for the help!

Brad

Edited by freetrials661

Only happened to me when I used a hub with m6 bolts never with my hope hub it might be worth seeing if theres any paint in the serrated washers on the inside of the dropouts that could help also might be counter intuitive but have you tried only using a tug on the drive side 

Thank you both for the replies!

Aener, I was mistaken with my sizes - it is an m6 rear hub not a 10mm. 

Sandbugg, I usually tighten the drive side tug first when tensioning the chain but find that the wheel doesn't stay straight that way. I checked the serrated washers and they didn't not have paint on them. 

It sounds like my best bet might be to switch to a hope hub with the bigger axle bolts

On 6/26/2020 at 2:38 PM, freetrials661 said:

Sandbugg, I usually tighten the drive side tug first when tensioning the chain but find that the wheel doesn't stay straight that way. I checked the serrated washers and they didn't not have paint on them. 

I tend to tighten the disc side first as i find the chain and tensioner will keep the drive side in place and stops anything from shifting about.

You could also try scoring the arcade chain tugs to give a little extra bite against the frame. Those tugs are mighty smooth. Or you could ditch the tugs, slam the wheel all the way forward in the dropouts and use a serrated washer and put in a sprung tensioner.