Crank arm length... for street trials...

Wantedinspiredarcade

Hey everyone, what are your opinions on crank arm length?  I always read that it’s down to personal preference... this is the general answer to most things I guess... But surely if you’re 6”3 or 5”6 it has an influence on crank arm length feel...? 

So my question is (if you’re new to Trials so don’t yet have a preference...) what would be your thoughts / opinions for a 5”8 newbie to modern street trials bikes. Learning street, park, bmx moves and general street trials moves. 

PS; If the bike geo / wheel size plays a role in your advice... then I’m building up a 24inch Inspired Arcade v2. 

Thanks in advance for any advice :) 

I generally go shorter if possible...165-170 unless I want to make my gear ratio slightly lighter in which case I'll run longer cranks.

Shorter cranks are (slightly) stronger as there's less leverage on them, you get more ground clearance for hooks and stuff and I feel it's slightly easier to balance with your feet closer together

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ali C said:

I generally go shorter if possible...165-170 unless I want to make my gear ratio slightly lighter in which case I'll run longer cranks.

Shorter cranks are (slightly) stronger as there's less leverage on them, you get more ground clearance for hooks and stuff and I feel it's slightly easier to balance with your feet closer together

I couldn't agree more. Even with a manual it's easier to get the weight back with your feet closer.

• Like 1

Thanks guys this has really helped! I’m going to go for 165mm then :) I’m also a big fan Ali C you’re awesome! 

So now for the techie part...

The Inspired Arcade V2 Bashring says it will fit most bmx cranks with a micro drive hole...

I’ve found some 165mm Colony 22s cranks (I’ll add the links below) that have a micro drive hole and a 22mm spindle...

I see that the Inspired Arcade BB V2 can take a 22mm spindle...

So, will it all fit together on my V2 Arcade frame? Is it this simple? Or am I missing something when crossing over from bmx parts to MTB?

I’m confused about spindle length, are bmx spindles different lengths to MTB ones??

It also adds to my confusion that I’ve seen loads of custom built Inspired Arcades on the internet and nobody is running bmx cranks on there... (apart from the black Inspired specially made versions that only come in 175mm... 

In all honesty if you're gonna spend approx £130-£140 on cranks, approx £30 on the BB & £70 on the chainring then I'd just opt for the full inspired set that has it all for £230. Wouldn't be too hard to strip the cranks and polish them up (Y)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/06/2020 at 9:11 PM, justinlock said:

In all honesty if you're gonna spend approx £130-£140 on cranks, approx £30 on the BB & £70 on the chainring then I'd just opt for the full inspired set that has it all for £230. Wouldn't be too hard to strip the cranks and polish them up (Y)

Hey Justinlock,

My Inspired Crankset has just arrived... do you know if I can use caustic soda to strip the cranks? Will it affect the threads??? Or am I better to use a paint stripper? Sand papers etc...????